40-X the way to go, or Anschutz?

Either action will do you well. Barrel, ignition and stock will be the difference. Some things to ponder:

1. Annie has a pinned barrel. When you change it you will most likely want to thread the action.

I was just recently on a field trip to Hart Barrels. While there I asked about threading my Anschutz when I replace the barrel. I was told by Jack Hart that threading was not the way to go because threads always have some degree of play, and that actually the pinned barrel is just as good if not better. So my questiuon is this, if one of the best barrels makers in the U.S. has this feeling than why do so many promote the threading? I have also heard that the Anschutzs don't have enough cam power, what exactly does that mean, and how much do you need for a 22?

Thanks,

Ed

Since match chambers force the bullet into the rifling the more cam action you have the easier it is to close the bolt. With some actions you have to put a pretty good bit of forward pressure on the bolt handle.

Since match chambers force the bullet into the rifling the more cam action you have the easier it is to close the bolt. With some actions you have to put a pretty good bit of forward pressure on the bolt handle.

Thank you for the definition. Back when Lapua made both the Midas M and the Midas L, the “L” version was slightly larger. I would say that the Anschutz has a match chamber, and I never had any trouble chambering the Midas L. So I guess I don’t quite understand why the feeling that the Anschutz does not have enough cam action.

Ed

I doubt the factory Anschutz chamber engraves almost the entire length of the driving band like some custom chambers do.

I am no gunsmith but I believe most of this comes from how comfortable a gunsmith is working with a barrel to get a good press fit, headspacing and possibly multiple assembling and disasembling. A threaded action is just easier to work with. I don't believe "if done properly" one has an advantage over the other. If Anschutz thought there was a performance benifit to threading an action, they would be doing it.
But, all of my anschutz br rifles have had the action threaded.
My 2 cents.

Charlie

I was just recently on a field trip to Hart Barrels. While there I asked about threading my Anschutz when I replace the barrel. I was told by Jack Hart that threading was not the way to go because threads always have some degree of play, and that actually the pinned barrel is just as good if not better. So my questiuon is this, if one of the best barrels makers in the U.S. has this feeling than why do so many promote the threading? I have also heard that the Anschutzs don't have enough cam power, what exactly does that mean, and how much do you need for a 22?

Thanks,

Ed

Back