40 x ppc

found a lv at bob whites for about 1000 $.
will hunt groundhog with it.it has about 1000 rounds through barrel.
trued action,mcmillain stock and jewel 2 oz trigger.i think it has kelby rings.
any thoughts?
gary b

40x action with 1,000 rounds...price is too high unless it has an expensive scope. PPC or 308 bolt face? If it has a 308 boldface cut off about 1" and rechanber to 6br or 243 Win or 6 Rem.

If you had to buy an action then the stock and pay someone to bed it you would be way over 1000$ the barrel on that rifle may or may not be worth anything. I would just figure on getting a new one if you can recharger the barrel that's on it yourself. I wouldn't pay anyone to recharger a barrel with 1000 rounds on it. That's just me though. Lee

found a lv at bob whites for about 1000 $.
any thoughts?
gary b

You can break down the value and figure what you have. Of course, some folks will disagree, but from what I see it breaks down something like this:

40x action trued: $500
Jewell trigger: 150
McMillan stock: 200-250
Kelbly rings 50-75

So, you're close without figuring putting it together and not even counting the barrel. It will probably do what you want and it's tough to find one for less $$. If that's what you're looking for you should probably buy it. A barrel with 1000 rds like won't win too many big matches, but it will for sure shoot minute of whistle pig.

Rick

40x

Gary........... I believe you did o.k......That package in this area would bring 1250-1600$ retail.....
bill larson

I just did a 40x myself from a 40x action I got off gun broker. I wanted a factory look with a vintage walnut stock. Mine is a 22 BR.

Here is my price list:

Action:$480
Stock: $150
Kelbly Trigger: $120
Harrells Base/Rings: $90
X-Caliber 1.25" Stainless Barrel Blank: $135
BAT trigger guard/action screws: $70

The above does not include labor, bedding material, reamer, dies or scope.

picsay-1431986249.jpg.jpg

Chamber: $200-$250
Pillar Bed: $250-$300
Action work/side bolt release: $200-$300

So $1k does not sound bad if it still shoots. Varminting, 1/4 MOA rifle will do just fine....

Last edited:
about 1000 $.
any thoughts?

Probably not a super deal but not a bad one either. A PPC barrel even a "shot out one" will be deadly on ground hogs.

40 x

the wife uped my money for a used rifle.
am now looking at a hall action rifle in lv in 6 mm ppc for about 1300 $ any thoughts
gary b

40x

James Coffey built a 10-1/2 LB sporter in 1983 on a 40X BR action. In 1984 he set the UNLIMITED,, 10 shot world record @ 300 yds w/this rifle,, Group was .536". This record stood for about 21 yrs. He also shot another 5 shot record @ 300.. Jef Summers broke that record soon after. I would challenge anyone to put together a 1/4" ground pig rifle for under $1000. I would say the $1000 40x is not that bad a deal for ground/pigg'n.. If you're gonna shoot competition,, and bound and determined to get a USED rifle,,I agree w/Wilbur Harris,,,, find a proven winner and pay what you have to pay. Probably save in the long run.
HFV

About the Coffey 40X: I know of 5 others that owned this same 40X,, and won registered group matches, (me being the last of the 5) David Brooks,, Micky Connelly, Bob Ware,, Roger Haney,, and HFV Also , I sold this rifle recently,,,, You guessed it ,,, $1000

Last edited:
James Coffey built a 10-1/2 LB sporter in 1983 on a 40X BR action. In 1984 he set the UNLIMITED,, 10 shot world record @ 300 yds w/this rifle,, Group was .536". This record stood for about 21 yrs. He also shot another 5 shot record @ 300.. Jef Summers broke that record soon after. I would challenge anyone to put together a 1/4" ground pig rifle for under $1000. I would say the $1000 40x is not that bad a deal for ground/pigg'n.. If you're gonna shoot competition,, and bound and determined to get a USED rifle,,I agree w/Wilbur Harris,,,, find a proven winner and pay what you have to pay. Probably save in the long run.
HFV

About the Coffey 40X: I know of 5 others that owned this same 40X,, and won registered group matches, (me being the last of the 5) David Brooks,, Micky Connelly, Bob Ware,, Roger Haney,, and HFV Also , I sold this rifle recently,,,, You guessed it ,,, $1000

Is this the 40X you shot the Hickory Ground Hog Shoot with sometimes?

Speaking of not finished, HFV, where did you go? You left the Super Shoot without saying goodby. Did you leave Friday or Saturday? Were you there for breakfast Saturday, I can't remember?

Gone But not forgotten

Speaking of not finished, HFV, where did you go? You left the Super Shoot without saying goodby. Did you leave Friday or Saturday? Were you there for breakfast Saturday, I can't remember?

Yep , that's the farty x,, I was sure I told you (Uncle Jerry) ,, I had promised to attend a wedding ,,Sat and would be leaving Fri morning early. I apologize if I didn't... Traffic in W VA was terrible and raining south of Charleston.

Scrambled

Yep that's the one I scrambled two aigs with,,, before Larry could stop me on either.
Also had 22 Lapua barrel that shot exceptionally well @ 100,, never tried it further.

Back