40 x actions

Back to the 40X actions......

Wasn't there an old article, in Precision Shooting, comparing the 40X(b) and 40XBR/ 40XB-BR actions?

I recall something about heat treating, and acid etching vs. stamping the action side.

You remember?

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin, If it was there I probably read about it, but I don't recall it.

Melvin,

I remember reading an article in PS a hundred years ago in which a well known and respected gunsmith...I don't remember who it was...commented that you should not assume that because the action is custom that it is straight and true. He had seen otherwise...

This was back in the days when there were 3-4 custom action makers.

Justin
I would love to see the major actions checked and compared.
Melvin

In the "old days" if I rember correctly the serial number was rolled on first,then they went to heat treat. After that they were ground between centers. If they didn't clean up a full 180 degrees on the bottom they were scrapped. What they thought they were accomplishing I don't know. This was before we had synthetic stocks that were glued to the receivers.

I would love to see the major actions checked and compared.
Melvin

When dealing with the inspection of machined parts, one has to be careful that there isn't not a flaw in the inspection procedure.

The one sure fire way anybody with a Lathe can check an Actions thread/action face to the bolt way is this.

Machine a mandrel, or insert, about 8 inches long that will slip into the boltway with just enough interference to insure no play.

Then machine a dummy barrel tenon. Screw the action up on the dummy tenon and seat it firmly against the shoulder. Insert the mandrel, and see how much it runs out sticking outside the action.

If it runs out, this test will not tell you which is out of square or truly straight with the boltway, the thread or the action face. All it will tell you is one of the two is not correct.

Some years back a notable Gunsmith was charging shooters for "truing" custom actions. One very popular action manufacturer did not think kindly to this, and said so.

Most of the "action truing kits" that do not involve single point tooling are basically flawed.

Last edited:
I was gifted 3 40X rimfire receivers. The gentleman that gave them to me was "is" a career gifted machinist. He reamed the raceways, touched up the receiver threads, and front ring. All had fitted PT&G bolt assemblies. The first was chambered by Richard Gorham with a taper lapped barrel that Ed Shilen did for me. The next and at the engraver right now is the 722 based, pre B, 40X. The barrel is a Bartlien 8 groove, left hand twist, and gain twist. Gene Davis is the gunsmith.
The roll stamp looks no different on any of the three and or my mod 7, just the 40X on them.
I think my choice of smiths are as good as there are out there. Hopefully I'll get to shoot both this year.

When dealing with the inspection of machined parts, one has to be careful that there isn't not a flaw in the inspection procedure.

The one sure fire way anybody with a Lathe can check an Actions thread/action face to the bolt way is this.

Machine a mandrel, or insert, about 8 inches long that will slip into the boltway with just enough interference to insure no play.

Then machine a dummy barrel tenon. Screw the action up on the dummy tenon and seat it firmly against the shoulder. Insert the mandrel, and see how much it runs out sticking outside the action.

If it runs out, this test will not tell you which is out of square or truly straight with the boltway, the thread or the action face. All it will tell you is one of the two is not correct.

Some years back a notable Gunsmith was charging shooters for "truing" custom actions. One very popular action manufacturer did not think kindly to this, and said so.

Most of the "action truing kits" that do not involve single point tooling are basically flawed.

Thanks, Jackie
I am not a machinist or gunsmith. I do realize it is a lot of work to check actions for trueness.
I guess what I am asking is when a gunsmith gets a custom action in to do a re- barrel, does he do any kind of checking to make sure the action is true, or does he just fit a barrel to it.
I have heard many times not to get a Remington action and have it trued because a custom action would almost be as cheap. Not entirely true, but I can see the point.
How can a person be sure when he buys a custom action that it is indeed true, if, like me, they have no machinist skills?
Thanks for your response! I enjoy your posts on matching, etc,
Melvin

Back