4 grove Kreiger or 5r Bartlien?

D

DanSavage

What are your thoughts between these 2 options?

It would be chambered in 6ppc 14 twist rate.

How about a 15-14 gain twist?

I allways buy more than one barrel at a time ,buy them both and have them chamberd with the same reamer. Then you can tell us witch one shoots the best?,They are both great barrels

Hey Dan,
You will want to go with a 5 groove conventional rifling for a slow twist, not the 5R rifling.
If you were shooting a 1-8.0 twist for the dasher, then you'll want the 5R

later, Mark Buettgen
Bartlein Barrels Inc.

I will be shooting a 4 groove gain twist Bartlien this week end on my Rail Gun at the Gulf Coast Region Championship. I have had it for some time, I just chambered it up a couple of weeks ago. I believe it is a 3/4 gain, which, I think, is a little more than what some are using now. It shoots great in practice, this will be my first match with it.

Not surprisingly, it shoots the same load as the .237 4-groove Kriegers I have been shooting for years.

Hey Dan,
You will want to go with a 5 groove conventional rifling for a slow twist, not the 5R rifling.
If you were shooting a 1-8.0 twist for the dasher, then you'll want the 5R

later, Mark Buettgen
Bartlein Barrels Inc.

Thanks for the info, I am shooting a Bartlien 5r 8 twist 6br at 300 and 500 yard bench f class matches and it shoots fantastic with 107 smk's. I was just thinking that a 5r might clean easier is all.

The 6br Bartlien barrel and Kreiger 6PPC barrel I have are top notch. I can't really afford 2 barrels right now, I do have another Krieger for the panda but it has a .261 neck.?
I know it wouldn't take much to open the neck up but I want a barrel ready to go when my current barrel gives up. It has about 650 rounds on it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be shooting a 4 groove gain twist Bartlien this week end on my Rail Gun at the Gulf Coast Region Championship. I have had it for some time, I just chambered it up a couple of weeks ago. I believe it is a 3/4 gain, which, I think, is a little more than what some are using now. It shoots great in practice, this will be my first match with it.

Not surprisingly, it shoots the same load as the .237 4-groove Kriegers I have been shooting for years.

Jackie, could you let me know how the match goes? Good luck,, shoot small.

5R sucks!!! LOL Personal thing. Im a four groove fan. A four Groove makes my life much easier and i see nothing to gain by going with a five.
Some say they are easier to clean? I say bull crap. I never though a four groove was hard to clean in the first place. A five groove build pressure slower to. Thats not ideal in my opinion . Four groove for me please!!

Jackie, could you let me know how the match goes? Good luck,, shoot small.

My Rail Gun shot very well this week end in some very tough conditions. It shot a .294, .181, .159, .387. And finished with a .209.

That .387 cost me the win. It was one bullet too. The other nine shots were no bigger that .220. I just missed it.

I also had a gain twist Bartlien on my LV. I won the HV 100.

My Rail Gun shot very well this week end in some very tough conditions. It shot a .294, .181, .159, .387. And finished with a .209.

That .387 cost me the win. It was one bullet too. The other nine shots were no bigger that .220. I just missed it.

I also had a gain twist Bartlien on my LV. I won the HV 100.

Good going Jackie!

I was looking over my 2 PPC barrels tonight, they are both Kriegers, the one that I've been shooting and having good luck with is a 6 grove. The one I haven't shot yet is a 4 grove but it's shorter and lighter because it's threaded for a tuner. The 6 grove barrel weighs 5pound 3.5 oz. That is what I guess I'll duplicate only I'll go 4 groove since that is what you guy's prefer. I'm also going to have a reamer duplicated of my current chamber since my sizing die works real well with it.

I thought 5 r cleaned better because there isn't a sharp edge on the rifling where carbon and fouling could be pickier to get out.

With the 6 grove barrel I've been able to shoot quite a few groups in mid 1s in competition so maybe with a 4 groove I'll be shooting low ones and some zeroes all the time. Lol
Wishful thinking, I guess.

Back