375h&h

D

deeramator

What are you thinking about this caliber?? and for long range shootin?? i am building a rifle in this caliber so i want to know what i can expect from this caliber:confused:

Thank you to help me!!

I think it may be to big for group shooting but you should be able to pick up a lot of X's in Varmint for Score.

Ted

X's in varmint? is it a kind of competition?? sorry im french and new in benchrest and longrange shooting...:rolleyes:

The two most important things in benchrest shooting -- either short range or long range -- are bullets and barrels. You *might* be able to stumble on a good .375 barrel. But I doubt you'll find any match grade bullets. Consistently good Bullets have always been the bane of the .338, even those with the label "match" on the box.

but if I reload it with hornady 220gr.(cause i think they have 220gr for 375)and i load just before the maximum, which speed can i expect from my load and do you think i will get a flat trajectory??

Your question was......what do you think of this round...........well to be honest its for point-blank big game use..ONLY

375 h&h

This cartridge owes it's existance to a couple of key points. First, a "medium" size case and bullet for taking larger game, and a generous body taper and shoulder angle to insure 100 percent feeding capability in situations that warranted it.

In these venues, it was, and still is, an excellent chambering. But, I doubt the initial designers ever had any sort of extreme accuracy in mind, when this cartridge was born.

Oh, and that much miligned "belt'. It did an excellent job of headspacing the cartridge, even in a chamber that left a little to be desired. Still does.........jackie

thank you guys, i choose to build this rifle in this caliber cause at beginning of my gunsmithing school year, i have the choice between, 7mm(i already have one), the 270 win (i already have one), and the 375H&H, and at this time i have no "big bore" in my collection so that was my chance to get one at a low price.

So nobody take this caliber for benchrest, good to know this, so i will only use it for 100-200yards shooting (just fo fun) and for hunting.

Thank you to response so fast.

Not with that bullet

but if I reload it with hornady 220gr.(cause i think they have 220gr for 375)and i load just before the maximum, which speed can i expect from my load and do you think i will get a flat trajectory??

The 220gr Hornady bullet was developed for the .375 Winchester, a straight walled lever action cartridge, and has the ballistic coeffecient of a brick. A better choice would be the Sierra 300gr BTSP.

If you plan on shooting much from the bench, there are much friendlier cartridges than the .375 H&H. I have one and it shoots well, but its not much fun for very long. You will understand once you have sighted yours in.;)

Good Luck with school and welcome to the forum!:)

The .375 H&H was one of Jack O'Conner's favorite rifles. He allowed that it was a good plains rifle (antelope) as well as a fine mountain rifle. This from The Rifle Book, now likely out of print, & perhaps never available in French.

But it is not a bench gun, even for long range. I believe there is a new .375 Chy-Tac, so there may be some solid-copper .375 "match" bullets. But as far as I know, no solid copper Lost River bullets never won a benchrest match. They might be competitive with special barrels & rifling; something Barney Lawton was working on before he died.

But very expensive bullets. As far as jacketed bullets go, where would one even get good jackets? And if you could find jackets, no one can hand-point a .375. I don't know of anyone hand-pointing even a .338. Hydraulic assist only. Now there are some pretty good bullets made from hydraulic assisted presses, but they've never had the consistency of the mechanical presses, except perhaps for Berger, who I believe incorporates reasonably sophisticated sensors in their presses.

I've shot long-range BR for about 13 years now, ever since it moved beyond the Original Pennsylvania 1,000 Yard club. I like to believe I've a pretty good grasp of the sport. Of course, 1,000 yard competition has a much longer history in highpower. But in either sport, I don't believe anyone every seriously campaigned a .375 H&H. For good reasons.

Enjoy your hunting rifle. For a first benchrest rifle, either long or short range, go with proven components and equipment. Experiment as you will after you've gotten a feel for the sport.

Good luck to you.

Fun to shoot! But breaks wooden stocks over time. See CZ 550, Remington 798, etc.

IMR 4064 for lighter bullets, and IMR 4350 for heavier bullets. Compressed load of IMR 4350 and 300gr bullet should stop anything.

Norma makes nice brass.

I made some 225gr Hornady with Varget for my Dad's Win. mdl 70.
The Hornady 220's are for a lever gun.

Speer and Barnes make 235gr bullets. There used to be factory 235gr when the cartridge was first introduced. Not sure if there is a factory load for this size.

270gr and 300gr are pretty common factory loads, then 260gr Nosler, 250gr Sierra, 285gr Speer, and 350gr Norma(Woodleigh Weld-Core).

For accuracy sakes, I would try the Nosler Accubond.

I haven't seen/heard any factory "match" bullets for anything over .338 caliber, except for esoteric solid bullets for sniper situations.

It would be an interesting new discipline: Solid heavy game Silhouette.

300H&H and 375H&H headspace off the belt.

Last edited by a moderator:
And if you could find jackets, no one can hand-point a .375. I don't know of anyone hand-pointing even a .338. Hydraulic assist only. Now there are some pretty good bullets made from hydraulic assisted presses, but they've never had the consistency of the mechanical presses, except perhaps for Berger, who I believe incorporates reasonably sophisticated sensors in their presses.

Charles,

Well, I don't know if you would count this, but I point up Sierra 250 grain boat tail spitzer .375's to .3785 round nose flat base for one of my doubles in 375-2 1/2" Flanged Nitro. I also do the same to Hornady 500 grain RN .458's for a 450-3 1/4 Express double, bumping up to about .461. This was the only way to get these two nice older doubles to regulate, as I have tried every type of suitable factory bullet available.

I am not really a bullet maker, and these are not Benchrest quality bullets, but I assume it takes more force to go from a finished boat tail to a semi-flat base round nose in a larger diameter than it does to point up a seated core in a jacket of the proper diameter????

Here is a photo of a .375 boat tail, and a round nose after pointing. I remove the exposed lead before bumping, and by varying the amount removed and the die setting, I can go from a more traditional lead tipped round nose to the almost closed point in the photo.

I use a manually operated Walnut Hill swaging press and dies from Richard Corbin.

Jim

bulletpointing004copy3.jpg

This cartridge is just asking to be necked down to .338, then it would work perfectly in any remington sized magnum action. Much easier that the .338 Lapua Mag.

Back