30x47 chamberings

F

fe1

Hey Guys,
Any recomendations on chambering a Krieger 1in17 twist for NBRSA hunter class? Reamer? Free bore or not etc...
Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks, Floyd

Rather than 30x47

Hey Guys,
Any recomendations on chambering a Krieger 1in17 twist for NBRSA hunter class? Reamer? Free bore or not etc...
Thanks, Floyd

I would suggest a 30x44 Lapua chamber. It is a minimum capacity chamber that takes a bit more to make brass but it uses N-133 powder and uses less of it. There is less recoil and less powder used. You will find that your brass lasts a bit longer and you can shoot more..
IMHO

Floyd:

A simple, no muss no fuss HBR case is easily made by simply necking the 6.5X47 Lapua to .30. I shoot with quite a few HBR guys that use this case with great results. Great brass, minimal case work needed, dies are stupid simple and it has a small primer. Dave Kiff @ PTG has a great handle on reamer dimensions for this case. With the 112-135's this case works with a bunch of powders...current H322, Benchmark, N133, etc.

If I wasn't shooting our short neck WolfPup....that's the chamber I'd be using.

Al on a related thread some time ago the subject came up about enlarging the flash hole on these cases. I can't find the thread But what where they opened up to, what was the benefit and do you think that benefit might carry over to 6.5x47 case left at 6.5 for 600yd bench?
Larry

Larry, many people have had better results by opening the flash holes on the 30X47 Lapua. I wouldn't say a person should do this from the start..but making up 20-25 extra cases with flash holes .005 bigger in lots of five and testing for sure isn't a bad idea ;).....seems to be some luv at at .072-.075 for most depending on powder, bullet coatings used, etc.

That there's been a lot of wins and at least one NBRSA Hunter National National Championship won with 30X47-ish cases based on the small primer/.075-.080 flash hole Remington 308BR case might not be a coincidence...:D

30x47 lapua

Need to nail down the freebore lenght on the 30x47 Lapua shooting 115 to 125 gr. My search efferts have resulted any where from .00 to 50 thous. I'm currantly shooting a 308 .140 short and it was throated for the 135 gr. bullets, which I have to jump the 125 Berger bullets .030 to the lands. Plan on purchasing a reamer from PTG and need to get this taken care of. Have a 6.5x47 Redding type S FL die to do the sizing. and will use the reamer to modify the Wilson seater. Our Registered matches ended two weeks ago and our winter leage club matches start in two months RANDY

Last edited:
Need to nail down the freebore lenght on the 30x47 Lapua shooting 115 to 125 gr. My search efferts have resulted any where from .00 to 50 thous. I'm currantly shooting a 308 .140 short and it was throated for the 135 gr. bullets, which I have to jump the 125 Berger bullets .030 to the lands. Plan on purchasing a reamer from PTG and need to get this taken care of. Have a 6.5x47 Redding type S FL die to do the sizing. and will use the reamer to modify the Wilson seater. Our Registered matches ended two weeks ago and our winter leage club matches start in two months RANDY

For the bullet types you mention (1.03" or <), in combibation with a throat angle between 1.5 and 1.75 Degrees (1/2 cone), you won't like in excess of 0.010" of freebore - if you go for the 1.0 Deg. throat angle, stick to ZERO freebore. RG

Hey...ask David Apple...he has the hottest 30x47 Hunter Rifle in recent history...he is shooting 250 and lots of Xs with his rifle...it is a "hammer":eek:

30x47

I'm willing to listen to any advise that can be rendered my way. I hope to get this right the first time. Thought about splitten the difference and throating it at .005 with a .330 nk. 1.5 deg. Anyone using a thicker neck in the 30x47 Lapua case. Haven't expanded the 6.5x47 brass up to 30 cal. yet, So I don't know how much to turn to clean up the case neck. Randy

Floyd...

Hey Guys,
Thanks, Floyd

I agree with Al. Go with the 6.5x47 Lapua necked up to .30. Just got mine back from Gary Long with Harrel FL die. However, I would strongly suggest you contact Hugh Henricksen, Henriksen Tool and Die for a reamer...541-535-2309. JMHO. My reamer dimensions were checked on an optical comparator and every one was within +.0002 or spot on. Good luck. --Greg

Last edited:
Call Dave Kiff and order a 30X47 Puhl reamer that is what Dave Apple is shooting and Bill Sargent and also the same reamer James Lederer has won nationals and several state shoots with. It is designed for just necking up the 6.5X47 Lapua brass and using bullets in the 120 to 130gr range and using 42 to 42.5 grains of N135.

Paul Tolvstad
Rock Creek Barrels

I agree with Al. Go with the 6.5x47 Lapua necked up to .30. Just got mine back from Gary Long with Harrel FL die. However, I would strongly suggest you contact Hugh Henricksen, Henriksen Tool and Die for a reamer...541-535-2309. JMHO. My reamer dimensions were checked on an optical comparator and every one was within +.0002 or spot on. Good luck. --Greg

Here's a cut-and-paste from another thread - a little redundancey may not hurt . . .:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by glp
Somewhere I have a pic of that. Probably on a crashed hard drive. The "graveyard" sign at Thrumont(Bud Pryor) I refered to was an expression of the prevailing opinion at the time regarding the vaunted PPC and the lowly 30BR punkin roller. That opinion, at the time, was as American as apple pie...if you know what I mean? That particular year Dennis Collins won it with a PPC at 750 and something. The next 3 or four places were 30BR though. About 10 years ago when I converted my PPC to a 30BR a bunch of us met at a restaurant one day for lunch in the winter time. I had a dummy loaded round with me. Two guys asked me what I was going to shoot beyone 100 yards ! --Greg

ps just got my hunter gun back from Gary with new chamber based on my Henriksen reamer(.30x6.5x47 Laupa). You speak with Hugh regarding dimensions of the case body? That reamer by the way, specked out at no more than +.0002 variation on any critical dimension. Most were spot on. He can make some of the best imho! Hope I can do it justice!!!

Greg, I received a 30x47 Lapua reamer from Hugh about 18 months ago - haven't cut a chamber with it yet, as I had just chambered a couple of barrels, using my original Dan Green (Forgreen's Reamers) 30x47 HBR reamer before the Henriksen reamer arrived . . and I've been too busy to wear those two out! And, this summer, I've been messing with a 25x47 LAPUA, for which Hugh also made the reamer. Essentially, the 6.5x47 LAPUA case is a clone of the 30x47 HBR, I believe, the brain child of Guy Chism, Danny Jarvais, and Larry Smart, way back about 1986/7 - HUNTER competitors have been on point for a LONG time!

The only significant differences between the Forgreen's 30x47 HBR and the 'new' 30x47 Lapua are the web diameters, and the neck-lengths, thus OALs: following necking-up, to thirty caliber, the Lapua case is closer 46MM in length.

The bolt-face to shoulder DATUM dimensions are within 0.001", and, both feature 30 Deg. shoulder angles. The only REAL difference is that the Lapua brass is already "made" - just neck it up, trim, turn to the desired neck-wall thickeness and go shootin'!

Oh, and my original reamer was compatable with either .308 Rem. UBR or, Winchester .300 Savage brass - that is, the chamber diameter, at 0.200" ahead of the bolt-face, is .267" (these cases usually mic .0.4635-0.4640" just above the extractor-groove), as opposed to the .4715" on my Henriksen reamer, which will be compatible with the larger diameter LAPUA brass; my virgin [LAPUA] brass measures 0.469" just above the extractor-groove.

And the small primers work GREAT - they've never failed to deliver - ya just have to make a big enough port for the FIRE to get through! RG

AL and Greg are correct - the [so called] NEW (6.5x47 Lapua) case is the way to go . . . just neck-up, trim, turn, and shoot - or, why not a plane-jane .300 Savage!:eek:;) My stuff is OLD - and I'm older. So, I neck-up in three steps: .277;.284;.308. :eek: RG

Instead of expanding

with a tool, I would shoot the fast powdah and plug to make the necks biggah. I think it is easier on the brass and gives a more consistent, straighter neck. I headed in this direction but have had second thoughts. My 30-284x1.650 shoots so darn well and I have a Jones die for it, I decided to turn one of my other rifles into it to another one. The one I have curently is a Lazer and the barrel is still got a third season left in it the Smif sez. It's a b-word to make cases but I am old and retired = time on my hands.

My chamber is sized for Winchester cases. I have made up 300 of them and used 150 0f them for two years without one failure. They are robust and they don't care that they have a stinkin large pimer in them, a-tall!( this primer thing is a bunch of hooey IMHO)

While I hesitate to recommend that the novice to go that route it's a danged great chambering from my experience. I have 30-44's as well and they are good but not as good as the lazer. I have absolutely no issue with good old American made brass; never have.

Last edited:
Randy...

"Greg, I received a 30x47 Lapua reamer from Hugh about 18 months ago - haven't cut a chamber with it yet, as I had just chambered a couple of barrels, using my original Dan Green (Forgreen's Reamers) 30x47 HBR reamer before the Henriksen reamer arrived . . and I've been too busy to wear those two out! And, this summer, I've been messing with a 25x47 LAPUA, for which Hugh also made the reamer. Essentially, the 6.5x47 LAPUA case is a clone of the 30x47 HBR, I believe, the brain child of Guy Chism, Danny Jarvais, and Larry Smart, way back about 1986/7 - HUNTER competitors have been on point for a LONG time!"

In addition to many other things, I see you have fine taste in reamer manufacturers. Gary chambered a barrel with my new reamer for himself and it is shooting extremely well...xmr2015. Hope to break my new barrel in sometime soon...got to make some cases first, which with the new brass, is a quick process. The Henriksen reamer blows the body out about 6 thou so can't use an off the shelf resizer, but Harrels made one for 70 bucks that works great. Nirvana has arrived for the 30x47 shooter it looks like!? --Greg

[/QUOTE]The Henriksen reamer blows the body out about 6 thou so can't use an off the shelf resizer, but Harrels made one for 70 bucks that works great. Nirvana has arrived for the 30x47 shooter it looks like!? --Greg[/QUOTE]

Greg, this is interesting - the print for the reamer which Hugh sent to me indicates that it should cut chambers comapatble with a Redding FL Type "S" Neck Bushing die. My other Henriksen ?x47 Lapua based reamers (6x47;25x47), featuring the same case-body dimensions, have proven compatable with the Redding "S" dies. I also have a 6x47 Lapua FL die, made by Forster (a standard offering) and a semi-custom Forster 25x47 Lapua FL die, both of which are perfect fits for my Henriksen reamers.

Nirvana, or, at least, a "no brainer"! :eek: Having a mostly preformed case, which one simply necks-up, trims and turns - similar to making PPC, or 30BR brass - will eliminate most of the voodoo, relegating almost anyone a maker of "good" brass!:eek:;) RG

Randy...

The Henriksen reamer blows the body out about 6 thou so can't use an off the shelf resizer, but Harrels made one for 70 bucks that works great. Nirvana has arrived for the 30x47 shooter it looks like!? --Greg[/QUOTE]

Greg, this is interesting - the print for the reamer which Hugh sent to me indicates that it should cut chambers comapatble with a Redding FL Type "S" Neck Bushing die. My other Henriksen ?x47 Lapua based reamers (6x47;25x47), featuring the same case-body dimensions, have proven compatable with the Redding "S" dies. I also have a 6x47 Lapua FL die, made by Forster (a standard offering) and a semi-custom Forster 25x47 Lapua FL die, both of which are perfect fits for my Henriksen reamers.

Nirvana, or, at least, a "no brainer"! :eek: Having a mostly preformed case, which one simply necks-up, trims and turns - similar to making PPC, or 30BR brass - will eliminate most of the voodoo, relegating almost anyone a maker of "good" brass!:eek:;) RG[/QUOTE]

If I can find it I'll send you a copy of my print and optical comparator measurements. I'll email you.

We turn the necks with our reamer but a few guys we shoot with ordered a reamer so they don't have to turn the necks and they are shooting very well.

Paul

Paul

We turn the necks with our reamer but a few guys we shoot with ordered a reamer so they don't have to turn the necks and they are shooting very well.

Paul

interesting comment. I have spun factory 6mm BR Laupa cases on my NECO and the uniformity of the outside of the necks are very good as well as very uniform neck wall thickness. Haven't tried the 6.5x47 Laupa cases. Since neck turning was done to true up brass decades ago, but now we have some pretty good stuff, no turn necks using Lapua brass may work. However, I still like to turn the necks to be sure...for all the good it does me!!

Back