30BR primers?

Right now use what you can get your hands on! I usually use Fed SR match. Recently I have been using Wolf SR Magnum primers. I have shot 2 consecutive 250 22x at 100yds and a couple of 249’s at 200yds.

RWS Primers

A few years ago, I was very lucky to purchase a quantity of RWS primers. I use them with H4198 (34.5 grains) and Randy Robinette's 118's.
A long time ago, when I was shooting highpower and long range, Gene Adam (who won the Wimbleton Cup in 1975) came up to me and said 'Matt, if you want to get really great scores you have to shoot these'. He handed me a 250 count RWS primer box that had about 30 primers in it. Gene was a great highpower and long range shooter in his day. He used to come up to the Bay City Rifle Club (the old mine range) and shoot the highpower league with us.

So, I loaded up a series of rounds with my usual Winchester primers and some with the RWS primers. To this day, I succinctly remember that the Winchester primer loads produced an extreme spread of 15-27 FPS, whereas the RWS primers produced an extreme spread of 7-9 FPS. I did the testing with my Oehler Chronograph. I wish I had kept the printouts and the target. The groups were also in line with what I discovered with the extreme spread. Unfortunately, I discarded all of that material when I retired from that competition.

I plan on duplicating this test (comparing RWS primers against the Federal primers). I will use the Oehler Chronograph to record the results. I will post the results when I complete the test. I realize that it won't be apples to apples but it will be interesting to see what the extreme spreads will be.

Matt

Last edited:
I've never noticed

any difference in primers with the 30 BR's I've had. If they go bang, they work.

Pete

I've mostly used

I shot 30BR for years with a little success with regular Fed 205.

Winchester and Wolf. I bought a bunch of both years ago and have been working them down. @ 76 I may have enough still to last me out.

Pete

Back