30BR at the Super Shoot

Pudding? I like chocolate!

There is no pudding in the proof; there is only the proof of putting something to the test. Hence the proof is in the putting.

The pun police,
Nic.

There is no pudding in the proof; there is only the proof of putting something to the test. Hence the proof is in the putting.

The pun police,
Nic.

Thanks................it sure is nice to see that someone has our backs.................

-Dave-:)

He said, she said.

Not too long ago, some fellas roughed up some WORLD CLASS shooters at the IBS 200-300 Group Nationals. :eek::eek::eek: And one of them had over 11,000 rounds on the barrel. :eek::eek: I wish I could go to the SS but I pull weeds for a living so.....Spring is a busy time for me.

It is not easy to discern nowadays but a little research will show that the winning X count in Score shooting is not that much different now from years past. It is true that most guns on the line in Score are now HV 30's but someone who can shoot can get it done with a PPC.

Now.... IBS ranges are allowed to hold a LV match only. This was done to allow more shooting opportunities for members and to add some diversity to the match format that has, to date been offered not to mention more fees for the clubs and IBS. A range can hold a LV/HV match. This was an opportunity for the LV PPC guns to come out and play on a more even field. The problem lies in the Match director.:cool: Speak to your match director and ask for a LV only match or a LV/HV 2 yardage match. (offer to help run the match)Then and only then will you see some PPC's on the line at a Score match.

Not too long ago, some fellas roughed up some WORLD CLASS shooters at the IBS 200-300 Group Nationals. :eek::eek::eek: And one of them had over 11,000 rounds on the barrel. :eek::eek: I wish I could go to the SS but I pull weeds for a living so.....Spring is a busy time for me.

It is not easy to discern nowadays but a little research will show that the winning X count in Score shooting is not that much different now from years past. It is true that most guns on the line in Score are now HV 30's but someone who can shoot can get it done with a PPC.

Now.... IBS ranges are allowed to hold a LV match only. This was done to allow more shooting opportunities for members and to add some diversity to the match format that has, to date been offered not to mention more fees for the clubs and IBS. A range can hold a LV/HV match. This was an opportunity for the LV PPC guns to come out and play on a more even field. The problem lies in the Match director.:cool: Speak to your match director and ask for a LV only match or a LV/HV 2 yardage match. (offer to help run the match)Then and only then will you see some PPC's on the line at a Score match.

David, I was hoping someone would bring this up.

Pertinent to this discussion was the above mentioned IBS LR Nationals, where Dean Breeden and Harley Baker nabbed the WIN and Place slots shooting their 30 BR rifles - being idiots NOT, these competitors used the BEST rigs they had . . . which, competently guided, proved good enough to best the rest of the field. Sadly, THAT demonstration of precision was dismissed as a "fluke"! :eek: As pointed out by others, people serious about winning, take the best they have - especially to the bigger tournaments. I will admit that a thirty caliber rig isn't for everyone - in fact, few will wield the precision as well as they will a lesser recoiling rig. Oh, for the afore mentioned NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, at which HOF members were among the troden upon, one must assume that [at least] THOSE contestants (HoF members) took their best gear and game . . . but on this forum, Dean and Harley got NO respect.:(

In the end, winning BR tournaments is about using the best tool for the job . . . and executing at the highest level.

Ted, like you, many (most?) of us who are inclined to shoot score tournaments, have limited time. Thus we alot our valuable vacation-time to other priorities: my personal, "must attend" events: the NBRSA Hunter Nationals; the Wisconsin State NBRSA Hunter Rifle Championships; and my annual two week Wyoming hunting trip. :D The SS is on my , "maybe someday" list - maybe once I nab a 190+ B&C mule deer buck or, get too old to climb the mountains. Simply put, it boils down to priotities.

Then, David, what makes ya think that some of us [knuckle dragging Hunter Rifle freaks] won't drag our LV 30BRs to those LV/HV events?:eek::D RG

Last edited:
Bring it....

Then, David, what makes ya think that some of us [knuckle dragging Hunter Rifle freaks] won't drag our LV 30BRs to those LV/HV events?:eek::D RG[/QUOTE]

Randy,

I can only speak for the guys I know, but there are a couple of NASTY 30 LV's around here. :eek::eek::eek::D Dean has 2 and my new "Red headed stepchild" is in the "testing" mode. Bring it on. Catch you on the line.
Dogbreath

It look like we have 2 guys so far who will be putting their 30BR's on the line at the super shoot.

And it appears that there are some guys who think that the 30 BR is pretty good but they are afraid of the recoil.
And some guys who think that the 30BR isn't as good as the PPC
And some guys think that the 30BR is their best gun and will put it on the line against all comers.

Paul
I am not 100% sure from your answer weather you will be shooting a 30BR at the super shoot.
Wasthat a yes or a no? You never really answered the question.

Ted

As the wonderful Janette would say..... "Whaaat----ever Dave". You and I a few others know what you said in January.

I'm glad you have switched to the .30 BR for score. Now that you see two years in a row the folks present at the membership meeting don't have the asperations of breaking up the LV into a caliber restrictive class. You no doubt have noticed that the thirty not only wipes out more paper, but that also as Randy has said is not only as accurate, but in the case of Dean and Harvey, the best tool for the job. I myself like the 6PPC for group and the .30BR for score. The .30 BR incedently uses more money per bullet, more Money per Powder charge, and I believe more wear ond tear on the scope, and the shooter... I can handle the recoil easily all day all week or all month. I'm not so sure that our equipment can though. Face it a weekend score shoot... shot "eastern" IBS style puts at most 100 rounds through your barrel for a 2 day weekend. Group shooting does that by the first day. Lets not forget, when aiming for group, a thirty has more ability to wipe out your aiming point too, one argument the .22 guys have made in group against the 6mm!

Certainly I don't have to make a case against the Thirty for group with you Dave, you already know it's a tool for score, when you have a choice of a better shooting 6PPC for group. Some shooters have choices of which gun to use for which game, some have to stick with whichever gun can work for both games.

I'll also go on to say every score shooter shoots group and only some group shooters shoot score! Figure that out.

Maybe I'll see you in Ohio.

Paul

"Whaaat----ever Dave". You and I a few others know what you said in January.

Paul

It was the same stuff I've said for the past 3+ years.......which is how long I've been using the 30. Quote me accurately and in the appropriate setting, and I won't have a problem with it.......

I do have to wonder why you seem to be obsessed with pointing a finger at me..........its kind of wierd. Your effort to paint me as sneaky is just BS........... The active shooters all know me and where I stand, especially those who were present on Friday night at the winter meeting..........none of what was discussed was news to anyone there...except for you, evidently.

Since this all seems to not make sense to you, it may help to consider the term "Parity"...........auto racing is a good place to find examples of efforts to provide a level playing field for the competitors. Come to think of it, group shooting is another example: shoot whatever caliber you wish; they'll measure with the appropriate caliper for the bullet diameter.........that example fits pretty well, huh?

This is getting boring.

-Dave-:)

Ted:
When are you going to trade the 257 TED Nitro Express in on a 6.5 Grendel?

Hope to see you at the next match.
Bob

Ted,

I was replying to a post about score reticles for IBS score shooting, and I did a search for "NBRSA Score reticle", While reading posts under that search this thread popped up. I thought I would pass it on to you and others.

Here is a copy, pay particular attention to the dates and the shooters...

07-10-2006, 09:37 AM
ReedG
Registered User Join Date: Apr 2003

But ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to chime in here as probably the least knowledgeable of all about the 30BR. I am, though, having one built. In watching my friends work up loads to shoot IBS score with, I have been amazed at some of the group sizes they have shot. This is load work-up, not agg or grand agg, I realize that, but it is evidence that the 30BR is capable of some good groups.

So, I also wonder, where are the guys who have shot in group matches with a 30BR? Even if you didn't win and didn't set a new world record or something, how did the 30 work? Will it agg? Is it tuneable?

I personally love the 30BR and think it's one of those wonderful cartridges that is reasonably easy to get a load for and it seems to be much less finicky that the PPCs. Does it have more recoil? Sure. But it's manageable and the newer stocks seem to handle it quite well.

As a 30BR believer, I want to see some of you guys who have shot group with it let us know what's up. I don't expect it to start winning matches in it's first few endeavors, but what is it doing? If you tried it and didn't like it, let us know. Share some of your insight with us.

Toward the end of the IBS season here in VT I plan to have an informal group shoot as we do not have moving backers. But I want to give the score shooters a chance to try some group with their big boomers and just see what happens.

ReedG

ReedG
View Public Profile
Send a private message to ReedG
Send email to ReedG
Find all posts by ReedG
Add ReedG to Your Buddy List

#14 07-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Harley Baker
Registered User Join Date: Sep 2004

ReedG, My name is Harley Baker and I have shot my 30BR in several group matches. I have had a little success. I have 2 other 6ppc rifles and shoot group with them most of the time. I am not a quality Benchrest shooter, I miss alot of conditions but I am trying to get better. In my opinion it is the most accurate rifle I own. That being said I probably don't own an accurate 6ppc rifle. The recoil with the heavy (13.5) is totally manageable and you can run your shots and shoot a small group. I am not a trend setter or trying to go against the status quo, I just have personal confidence in this rifle and confidence is an important part of this sport. The tune on this rifle is, find a seating depth, find a powder by weight and shoot the gun. I have not changed a thing in the last month. One of these days a quality shooter will take a 30 to a group match and win. See you at the range

Harley Baker
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Harley Baker
Send email to Harley Baker
Find all posts by Harley Baker
Add Harley Baker to Your Buddy List

#15 07-10-2006, 10:35 AM
hecksf
Registered User Join Date: Feb 2003

I will let the last 2 posts speak for themselves.

As you see, Harley Baker's post, was in July of 2006... The following year, he and Townsend Dean Breeden went to the IBS long range group Nationals and "Roughed up" the compettion with the .30 BR as David Apple stated. It seems Harley has become a "Quality Shooter". By the way we had dinner at the annual meeting with David Apple, Joe Entriken, Harley Baker, And Townsend Dean Breeden. It was a very enjoyable evening.

I really like the .30 BR and I'm pleased to see it has worked in group nationals for some. I will continue to choose the 6ppc for group though and the .30 for score, unless God forbid some Parity is written into the rules for score competition.

Paul

30 at Group Matches

I would figure that if someone finally steps up to the plate and hits a home run, it will be one of the Euber brothers. They certainly have the skills, and from what I have heard, have 30's that will shoot with anything. Period.
We will see........jackie

30 BR in group matches

I do a lot of score shooting with my 30BR, and I usuallly do quite well. I shot 2 new range records with it last year and a 25X in one match.

At the last group match of the year at WWCCA, I decided to have a little fun, since I knew I couldn't catch Kroopa for the first place position in the Eastern region shooter of the year race. I used my 30BR in the HV 100 & 200 events.

In the HV 100 with my 30BR I shot a .1934 agg. which was the smallest 100 yd. agg. shot by anyone in the eastern region in 2007. I also won the HV 200 with a .3144 agg. and the grand with a .2639. It was a good day for me.

I know this may sound like I'm blowing my own horn here, but this forum has asked for this information, and here it is.

I believe I will be using it more in group matches this coming year, but only if it is the best that I have at the time and for the appropriate conditions.

Larry

Last edited:
Robert
I am going to hang onto the 257TED now that I am getting great bullets from BIB I don't see any reason to down grade to 6.5G or 30 BR.
I don't think I will make it to the match.
I was planning on being there but my dad is coming to town that weekend so i will spend time with him.
I just got back from Korea and I could use a weekend off but it just won't happen. It seems like there is always something to get in the way.
Ted

PS Korea still smells if you haven't been there in a while.

Robert
I am going to hang onto the 257TED now that I am getting great bullets from BIB I don't see any reason to down grade to 6.5G or 30 BR.
I don't think I will make it to the match.
I was planning on being there but my dad is coming to town that weekend so i will spend time with him.
I just got back from Korea and I could use a weekend off but it just won't happen. It seems like there is always something to get in the way.
Ted

PS Korea still smells if you haven't been there in a while.

It's the Kim Chee. And that seaweed soup crap they eat for breakfast smells like a wet dog.

Just got back from Ulsan myself.

If y'all were building a 30br score rifle, would you build a HV or LV?

Ben

...If y'all were building a 30br score rifle, would you build a HV or LV?

Ben
HV - A light 30BR will beat the stink out of you. Plus, most ranges don't seperate HV from LV. Therefore, no reason for a light gun.

Back