.30 or 6mm for short range group shooting this year?

I was wondering how many guys are planning to campaign a .30 cal in short range group this year.
After the record group shot with a 30 and Jackies testing with Barts new 30 cal there seems to be a little more move toward a 30 for group.

Tim, 3 years ago I bought a 30 cal Krieger barrel at the SS, ordered a 30 BR reamer and bought some of Brady Knights 118's. A few weeks later, at Unakas Fall shoot I sat 3 benches down from a shooter shooting 10.5 30 BR. I watched his head jarr every time he shot.

I still have the barrel but had Kiff re grind the reamer to a 6 PPC 266 neck I wanted to try. I still have the 118 Knights if you want them!

I'm not going there either. Trying to stay a steady course not change things still to much to learn with what I'm working with now.
Just seemed like there was some movement that way. Had me curious was all

I've got a 17 twist HV Krieger blank in the safe myself. The way my back is it'll stay there

Tim, it is no big secret that a well tuned 30BR will shoot very small groups. In fact, on just about any given day, I can expect to sit down with my 30 and shoot as good if not better than my 6PPC.

But, just sitting down in a casual setting and shooting small groups is different than shooting good Aggs under match conditions. True, I have recorded several very good Aggs in Competition, one in particular was extremely good. But I still consider my 30 a score Rifle.

Also, the vast majority of 30's are true HV Rifles, which makes them too heavy for the other two Bag Gun Classes. Having too separate calipers gets to be too much of a hassle under most circumstances.

Jerry what's wrong with dancing with fat women, they need love also. Never had a problem with recoil, in fact i'll be shooting a 300 WSM with 230gr. Burgers. I know it wouldn't qualify for any of your matches but man it will shoot at 100.

Joe Salt

Jerry what's wrong with dancing with fat women, they need love also. Never had a problem with recoil, in fact i'll be shooting a 300 WSM with 230gr. Burgers. I know it wouldn't qualify for any of your matches but man it will shoot at 100.

Joe Salt

Joe

Fat girls are like riding Honda's. They're fun to ride, but you don't want to be seen with them..............:cool:

Later
Dave

Tim,

Listen to Jackie. Yep, the 30BR can shoot some small groups. Running a group in 15 seconds at 200 yards with a 10.5 rifle chambered for a 30BR, however, would not be pretty....:). I have shot score with a 30BR HV and it reminded me of a 45-70 I once had. Well, not really, but it was closer to my Highwall than my 6PPC Sporter (that is what I remember! HA). Where I have seen a 30BR do well in group (HV class) are when conditions are very good and you can shoot rather deliberate. They can run with anything. Hal Drake smoked a great agg with a 30 at the Hog Roast a few years ago. I think he shoots a 6PPC in group now (I stand to be corrected on that).

Jeff

Deer guns

2008 IBS 200-300 Group Nationals, Dean and Hal were 2nd & 3rd shooting deer guns. 2006 IBS 200-300 Group Nationals, Dean won and Harley was 2nd...shooting deer rifles.

I have shot both, 6PPC and .30BR for group. I had a small group 0.031 with the .30BR so they will shoot small groups. However, the story is told of who won the agg, the grand agg., the two gun. It is said the .30BR will group as well as the 6PPC. Well, it will. However, when all things are considered "as well as" isn't good enough when you take into consideration the added recoil that disturbs the bags, slows the fast shooter (me), hammers the scope. So, until the day comes when someone can say the .30BR shoots better than the 6PPC you know which way I'll go.

Bottom line, a 6PPC will always be better for group shooting and a 30 BR will be the dominate caliber in score.

Dusty, I think the advent of "Varmint for Score" is a direct product the short 30, the slow twist barrel, and extremely good bullets in the 112 to 118 grn range.

HBR has been around for 6 decades. But when guys like Randy Robinett started taking cases down to 1 1/2 inches, and discovered that a 18 twist barrel would stabilize the short fat bullets, the level of accuracy took a giant leap forward.

Are the scores really that much better than before the 30 revolution?

I'm no expert Dusty, I've only shot 2 season's and I don't know if the scores were that much better before the 30 came along, but there is a friend of mine, (JIM GOODY) that I shoot with who was one of the early 30 caliber score shooters that showed up with his 30 Jag and he started to clean house against the 6PPC guys. He won SSOY 3 years in a row. In my opinion, the 6 has a tough time beating a 30 at 100 yards. In the 2 season's that I have shot, I can only remember 1 time last year that a 6 won at 100 yards and he was shooting next to me. It was Lee Euber with his 6PPC Farley that won the 100 meter portion of the State match in VT with a 250-22Xs. In 2013 I remember that Roy Hunter, (MY HERO)(JUST HAD TO SAY THAT ROY) won the 19th annual Bud Pryor 3 day match in Thurmont, MD with his 6PPC. He came in 18th at 100, 6th at 200 and 4th at 300, but he was the only one that stayed clean at all 3 yardages and won with a 750-26X. What's the percentage ratio of a 30 to a 6, something like 33%, more or less. The bigger hole helps most of the time.

I now own the first 30br i ever heard of. It currently holds a world record in nbrsa group. It still shoots the same. Kostyshyn barrel and i believe it was reamed with the first official reamer randy came up with. Its a hammer for sure. Glad i own it.

I believe I was the first to shoot a 30BR at a group match.

If I wasn't the first, I was close!

Charles Ellertson bought the barrel and an unheard of fellow (at least I'd never heard of him) chambered it in 30BR. I think Randy Robinett cooked the whole thing up. It shot like the hammers of hell if you loaded it EXTREMELY hot with whatever powder I was using...can't remember what it was. The unlimited rifle (rail gun) it was attached to shot a couple of mid two ten shot groups at Roanoke and then I ran out of cases. Ended up pretty good.

Maybe somebody can remember who the gunsmith was...he went west as I recall (Jackson Hole I think)...from Virginia....maybe.

Fast forward a bit, two weeks perhaps, to the Rachels Glen 200 yard match. I showed up with enough cases and set my rail up Friday evening to get on paper. The rifle shot 'em in one hole until I got tired of doing it. I cleaned it and put it up smiling the whole time as I knew I was going to win the 4 gun. Come morning, I set up the rail and never touched two bullet holes together the entire match. This episode ended my dealings with the 30BR. Here's why! I saw that it could shoot with the right load but realized that it wasn't the correct choice for group benchrest. It cost more, kicked harder and wouldn't shoot BETTER.....always, always, and never. Either one would steer a sane man to the PPC..not saying I'm sane but even I got that message. Seriously though, if I had quickly learned a load I would have probably continued until it was gone. It was a literal BLAST!!

Punch line - Don't build a group benchrest rifle in 30BR. Score yes - group no.

Last edited:
I now own the first 30br i ever heard of. It currently holds a world record in nbrsa group. It still shoots the same. Kostyshyn barrel and i believe it was reamed with the first official reamer randy came up with. Its a hammer for sure. Glad i own it.

Boy Dusty. All I ever heard about those old Kostyshyn's is that they shoot. Never heard of anybody saying different.

Back