30 br

HFV

:confused:
What neck dia is the most common for 30BR? I guess I'm asking , what are the top copetitors using in group and varmint for score?
HFV

A while back, when I designed my own 30BR Reamer, I toyed with the idea of going to a .332 neck, same as my 30PPC. I blew several cases out, and found that some would not clean up all the way around. So, I went with the tried and true .330.

If you are going to make your cases by expanding them up in the usual manner, just call Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and order the Robinett Reamer, which features a .330 neck and "zero" freebore.. All the home work has been done...........jackie

If you are going to make your cases by expanding them up in the usual manner, just call Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and order the Robinett Reamer, which features a .330 neck and "zero" freebore.. All the home work has been done...........jackie
Or Hugh Henriksen, who I believe makes Randy's reamers now. Randy has "given this print to the world," you don't need his permission to have one made up.

what should the inside of the case neck be turned at? I have the robinet reamer? I will shoot bib and knight bullets? lee

I don't think

what should the inside of the case neck be turned at? I have the robinet reamer? I will shoot bib and knight bullets? lee

anyone turns the inside of 30 BR necks. I never have anyway. Tha 30 BR is about as easy a cartridge as exists. Simply expand the necks, turn them ( I use .003 clearance and shoot them. I have heard lots of folks say they have some fantastic groups when fireforming cases so I am guessing one could fireform while shooting a match if one was so inclined.

I cut the inside of my 30BR necks to .3070, then turn the outside. I've also done the inside necks at .3075 and .3080 before doing the o.d.'s....just depends on the brass.

I turn the 'lump' at the bottom of the neck (on the outside) off before I cut the i.d.'s. It goes w/o saying that cutting the inside of the necks needs to be done before turning the o.d.'s if you're going to go this way. -Al

Al...

I cut the inside of my 30BR necks to .3070, then turn the outside. I've also done the inside necks at .3075 and .3080 before doing the o.d.'s....just depends on the brass.

I turn the 'lump' at the bottom of the neck (on the outside) off before I cut the i.d.'s. It goes w/o saying that cutting the inside of the necks needs to be done before turning the o.d.'s if you're going to go this way. -Al

now I know why you use 5 or 6 thou neck tension

now I know why you use 5 or 6 thou neck tension

Greg, I know you're thinking lots of neck tension because the necks are thinner when you cut the i.d.'s...but that's not the case. Don't let the i.d. cut diameter fool 'ya. :)

Take care, buddy. :) -Al

Back