.257 Roberts

Y

YOOO VINNY

I'm going to build a .257 Roberts hunting rifle on a 98' Mauser, basically because I've always wanted one and I aquired 300rds of Winchester Supreme, nickle cased +P factory ammo in a trade deal.

First, is it worth going to the Ackley improved chambering to start with and does using the factory +P loads in nickle cases pose any issue in said chamber ?

Second, since the Mauser is a longer action, is the standard reamer OK or is there any need or benefit to throat it out longer ?

TIA
Cheers, YV

I have the exact gun that you want to build in the standard 257. Love it, kills deer and groundhogs like a bolt of lighting. Ackley said in his book that case was the most improved of all the ones he did. Now is it worth doing, thats up to you if you want to shoot a 25-06 build one. I personally would not do it. I have a 223ai, 220 swift ai, and a 300 improved. Its not something I haven't tried its something that I know is a pain in the ass in the end. Thats why I say its up to you if you want go for it. You won't be disappointed it just becomes a pain at some point in time.

hoghunter hit the nail right on the head there... If building an Ackley improved is what you want to do, do it, but the .257 Roberts is an awesome cartridge just like it is. leave it alone and you won't be let down. I recently accurized a model 70 featherweight in this chambering and the thing shoots awesome. For deer we went with 100 grain Nosler BT's, for Varmints the Berger 87's. Both loads were extremely accurate with 4350 powder.

Paul

OK, makes sence, I'll just stick with the standard chambering and keep it simple.

What about the chamber reamer ? Seems like it was designed for a short action ?
Do I need a throater to keep the bullets out in the neck where they belong ?

Vinny

What the other guys said. The straight vanilla 257 Roberts is one of the best balanced cartridges you'll ever find. If you have a reamer that will cut a chamber allowing you to seat the heavier bullets out a little, that makes it even better. But, you may find that a standard chamber will allow the same thing, so check it before you do anything else. I have a pre-64 M70 and all I had to do was change the magazine box to hold a longer OAL. With a M98 you won't even have to do that.

Ray

I have a 257 Roberts Imp and love it has a 28" Keriger 1 & 8 twist will shoot a 1" group a 600 all day with 115gr berger VLD ,
50 grians of V160. Have tried Win and Rem brass But I like the Lupa 7x57 better just needs a little more work

. . .will shoot a 1" group a 600 all day . . .

Man, you should shoot that rifle for money. That's danged near better than the existing NBRSA and IBS World records. If I could shoot 600 yard 2" groups all day, with my LR BR Rifle, I'd be a happy camper.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, you should shoot that rifle for money. That's danged near better than the existing NBRSA and IBS World records. If I could shoot 600 yard 2" groups all day, with my LR BR Rifle, I'd be a happy camper.

Ray

Exactly... we all have to be very careful when making claims like that here. When you say "all day" guys will ask "all day what day"?, "Too bad you weren't at a match", or "bring it out next match", etc. etc.

I have a 257 Roberts Imp and love it has a 28" Keriger 1 & 8 twist will shoot a 1" group a 600 all day with 115gr berger VLD ,
50 grians of V160. Have tried Win and Rem brass But I like the Lupa 7x57 better just needs a little more work

And I bet you carry that target around in your wallet don't you?

Donald

Well, I dont make any accuracy claims,,,
There are days I'm lucky to shoot 1" groups at 100yds. ;)

This Roberts wont need too shoot sub MOA,,,,Just as long as it's sub MOD (minute of deer:))

Cheers, YV

The 257 Roberts is one of the old standbuys, a great chambering. If it had not been concieved decades and decades ago, it would be today..........jackie

I once had a .257 but sold it because it weighed close to 9.5 lb with a scope. Great fun to shoot, not much fun to carry. Like everyone else said a standard .257 with good loads and good bullets will kill deer as far away as most people should be shooting at them, and won't dislocate your shoulder doing it. For deer I doubt that you'd need a bullet over 100 gr unless you've got a lot of 400 lb deer in your area. Even then with the right bullet and proper shot placement you've got venison in the freezer.

Hey guy's one inch at 300 not 600 just seen what I did but that would be nice. But I do know a older guy that shoot a 1 & 5/16 three shoot group at 1000.

Hey guy's one inch at 300 not 600 just seen what I did but that would be nice. But I do know a older guy that shoot a 1 & 5/16 three shoot group at 1000.
That's more like it. About that older guy, that's what us older guys do.

I was talking to an older guy at our range a few months ago who had a .243 that he said could shoot a 2" group at 1,000 yards. He went on to say that he could easily and would gladly show us but our range is only 200 yards.

Now how could you doubt that?

Concho Bill

Hey guy's one inch at 300 not 600 . . .

That helps your story, a little. Looking at the Sporter Class IBS 300 yard Aggregate World Record, I see that it's a little over .283 MOA (.850"), just a tad under your 1.000". I'd still recommend that you shoot for money.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Most definitely, find a reamer with a longer throat so you can seat bullets out to lands and not take up too much powder space. Ideally you want the bottome of your bullet no deeper than the base of the neck...as long as your magazine will accept a loaded round that long. That way you can load the Roberts to its full potential and not stick youself with the anemic factory rounds. jmho --greg

I'm going to build a .257 Roberts hunting rifle on a 98' Mauser, basically because I've always wanted one and I aquired 300rds of Winchester Supreme, nickle cased +P factory ammo in a trade deal.

First, is it worth going to the Ackley improved chambering to start with and does using the factory +P loads in nickle cases pose any issue in said chamber ?

Second, since the Mauser is a longer action, is the standard reamer OK or is there any need or benefit to throat it out longer ?

TIA
Cheers, YV

We have had std 257 Roberts, 28 degree and 40 degree. We always seem to end up back at our old 722 in std 257 Roberts. It kills white tails just fine. Someday we plan to try it with lighter bullets for wood chucks. I just can't give up my .222 for that task. We found the fireforming process to be tedious for this (hunting & field) application and the standard form already works plenty well. I have a hard time expending bullets, powder, primers and the time to fireform the brass. There is a technique to this as well. Of course I learned the technique after doing it wrong a few times. After developing your fireformed brass you certainly will not want to be throwing it around in the woods or field. Having been there and done that I would suggest to you, as you already have heard and seem to have decided, to stick with the std 257 Roberts. Now you have another vote or opinion fwiw. I find this to be a great caliber and chambering especially in areas where deer sized critters are your largest game. You can also use light bullets for chucks and the recoil won't beat you up. Best of luck, Peter.

Last edited:

how do l find Lupa 7x57 brass ????

I got my Laupa from a frind that had it laying around. I also got some Norma 7x57 from sinclair can't tell any difference in the two only the price. Lapua stoped making 7x57 brass.

Back