2011 Bench Rest Quiz

Francis,
You're right about Gene's tuner. All of my rifles wear one(except for the .22 Benchrest rifle Bill Myers built for me, it has a tuner that he used on his rifles and my rail gun which sports a Ralphie Stewart two ton tuner). Sorry, Ralph- couldn't help myself. :)

Best,
Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

Hovis, now that is a good one.

Someone needs to take a DNA sample. There has GOT to be a "Benchrest Gene" in there somewhere..........jackie

Based on the experiences of others who have March scopes I would agree. Regarding the Leupold LCS, no better than the old 36X except for the 1/8" adjustment. I'm a score shooter.

The .1 gr accuracy claim of the scale results in a possible .2 variation, certainly better than any drop measure. Not sure if one needs a lab scale to check the RCBS unit. Has anyone ever done that? Check the accuracy claim of the RCBS unit with a true lab certified scale?
You don't know what you are talking about. Too much keyboard time and not enough bench time if you are saying the Leuopold Competition scope is not better than the older 1" tube Leuopolds. As to the RCBS 1500 you are saying you know what exact amount you need to throw and the RCBS is not ten times more accurate and not more repeatable than a drop? On the target we are interested in repeatability not accuracy. We can adjust accuracy.

I can name several March users that will admit the Leuopold is clearer and has better resolution than the March. The March is brighter, too bright on many days. That is why the screwon reducer is made.

I have two March50x scopes, one March 10-60 variable, (on HV 30BR), and a 45 Leupold on my Rail Gun.

In my opinion, after staring through all of them a whole lot, I would say the March 10x60 and the Leupold 45x are about equal as far as actual target resolution. The 50x Marches are not as good, there always seems to be a "fuzzyness" to the image. That being said, they are plenty good, and all seem to be holding POA. Afterall, that's the real kicker when it comes to BR Scopes..........jackie

I have never used one but possibly the skeletonized stocks? Like Shelly's tinkertoy or the one Gene Beggs is using.

Say Francis now you know better than that. As long as your around I will never be the most unfriendly guy around. hehe
Hope all is well with you these days. Been a long time since we talked. I think your just getting cabin fever up there in the great white north.

I do think lasers are a great idea they are just dangerous without some sort of guidelines or something.

There are seldon if ever giant leaps in technology. But I would put Stiller's drop port action and the slow twist 30BR at the top of the list.

Donald

Knowledge is power

I'm impressed just how much good & timely information comes off the internet, after the crud is floated off.

I would have to go with John on this one. Good information and a world wide market are at the keyboard today like at no other time. However, like John says in his way, you have to pick and choose your sources.

Concho Bill

Last edited:
The Internet. Knowledge and the sharing of ideas and experiences world-wide.

Chip

Yeah I would agree with the improvements in scopes. In particular the types of glass available. Many good optical systems could be put down on paper but not built because of the lack of suitable materials. Another would be suitable alloys to make the latest actions. The reduction in weight can be added to the barrel profile.

Andy.

suitable alloys to make the latest actions. The reduction in weight can be added to the barrel profile.

Andy.

Andy, what has actually happened here, scope weights have increased, but, to compensate, stocks have gone on a diet. With the Leonard, Scoville, Beggs innovations and in the "glass" stocks, the McMillan EDGE have taken up the slack.

I'm not aware of any benchrest-lite actions.....yet.

"John Kielly : Your the one who clicked on the post and decided to write what you did... "Male bovines passed by"... If you think that this post of asking what is the best invention of the last 30 years for bench rest is stupid, boring, slow or your just a registered Alien trying to get a jab and a rise outta me. It aint gonna happen since I have seen some of your posts all they do is talk people down. Thats why this TAB is listed as "GENERAL DISCUSSION".

Pretty sure John was voting for the internet with a disclaimer. Would seem a bit of preconceived notion led your statement. That said, I vote for the internet as being second only to the people involved.

Wilbur, if this was an Aussie site I would have said, "the internet, but you'll have to sift out the bull".

As far as aliens go, I'm an Aussie. In U.S. law, an alien is any person not a citizen or national of the United States. I'm not taking a rise out of anybody there.

Wilbur, if this was an Aussie site I would have said, "the internet, but you'll have to sift out the bull".

As far as aliens go, I'm an Aussie. In U.S. law, an alien is any person not a citizen or national of the United States. I'm not taking a rise out of anybody there.

Well John, I don't care if you are an Aussie or a Martin, you have a friend in Texas. I like your style.

Concho Bill

Back