Probably depends on what you need it for. Less than an inch spindle bore.

OK, I forgot about the "Heavy" designation. You're right, .86 bore.

The newer Heavy is 1.3XX inch bore. But it doesn't even resemble the old machines.

What's wrong with the South Bend 10k on closeout at Grizzly for 3100.00?

Are you looking for a small partner to your "Real" heavy 10?

9" swing by 28" length between centers and .860 spindle bore. If you want a small lathe for making bushings and screws, for brass prep or for other light duty tasks, it would probably be fine.

P.S. Of course we were typing at the same time. Try to get in touch with SkeetLee and ask him about his new Heavy 10.

Last edited:
Are you looking for a small partner to your "Real" heavy 10?

9" swing by 28" length between centers and .860 spindle bore. If you want a small lathe for making bushings and screws, for brass prep or for other light duty tasks, it would probably be fine.

P.S. Of course we were typing at the same time. Try to get in touch with SkeetLee and ask him about his new Heavy 10.

Nope......in fact the only ones I'm interested in are the old ones.

It just popped up in my email and I thought I'd ask, it looks to be closely modeled after the old ones.

Look at the Nardinis

I would have bought a 14" Nardini if I had the facility for it but , alas, I do not and I'm too old now to consider anything else. What I bought was a predecessor to the 12 X 36 Grizzly because it was affordable and small enough and near to where I live. It will do everything a Heavy 10 will do and is a more modern machine for such things as mounting a DRO to , etc. The Grizzly 12X36 is offered at a pretty good price, I think. Heck, the Grizzly Gunsmith package is hard to beat, after owning a similar one, I think.

Granted, they are not American Iron but I believe the trade off is worth doing. The premium for the SB name on the new machines is a , well, not worth it, in my opinion.

Pete

Southbend 10K

Here is my Southbend 10K. The Grizzly machine is 'modeled' after the original but definately a different machine.

Kris

Attachments

• IMG_3944.JPG
    IMG_3944.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 273
South Bend only in name. I'm sure the folks at South Bend cringe. Not even a hint of design or quality.

Probably no one left at the 'old' South Bend. One of my Uncles was an engineer at a Bendix plant, located in South Bend, Indiana. He worked there for 30+yrs. and retired 20yrs ago. Last time I visited our conversation turned to manufacturing in the USA. He told the story of one of his co-workers and he deciding to do a 'drive-by' of the old plant about 10 yrs ago. He was quit disappointed,,,,,,,, all that remained was the concrete slab.........

Here is my Southbend 10K. The Grizzly machine is 'modeled' after the original but definately a different machine.

Kris

Does it work and cut OK?

I have a Grizzly (owners of South Bend company) and an original Heavy Ten working side by side in my shop....

Al there was a long running thread about a new 10k on Practical Machinest. Skeetlee has a new 10L, Taiwan made, he talks highly of.

Back