1000 yd br rifle build/ self build/on a budget...done!!!

M

mike in co

can't find the original thread,,,( search engine sucks)...but
its done...bedded, muzzle brake installed.....scope on.....

16.9 lbs.....
i'll play more with the trigger as i have time...did get a kit of springs from ernie...

now for some load development.....

mike in co

i have no luck posting pics..
i could email them to someone that is comfortable with that process but using a third part pic host just has not worked for me...

mike in co

Posted for Mike:
P1000170.jpg

P1000169.jpg

P1000171.jpg

Last edited:
Mike In Co
Mike is that a Master 1000 stock? I just bought the blue/black one from the classifieds and haven't received it yet.How much action do you think it will handle?
The rifle looks pretty good but you put the bolt handle on the wrong side.
Lynn

you think building a rifle is hard...i have to do it all backwards....
yes a masterclass 1000....
if you look at the pics the center line of the bbl is above the top of the stock but look at the tang and its a tought fit..
so my 2 cents worth is there is more room...a rem 700 is just not a good match....lots of material to work with...
i think my stocker should have dropped the bbl to the centerline and lowered the stock on the ejection port side......the trigger would be lower, and the tang would stil be ugly.
looks to me there is .4" between the stock and the bolt when open, lots of room to lower to the centerline.
should i get lower rings or does it matter in afixed distance rifle ?

mike in co

you will notice no buttpad/plate...........
i am at 16.9 which gives me .1 of a pound or 1.6 oz to stay in class.
the red foam pad the rifle is on will be cut to make a pad and glued in place if it stays under 17..else i willl just shoot it with a past shoulder pad.

mike in co

ps thanks boyd for posting the pics

Last edited by a moderator:
I like my scope way above everything. As long as you get the parallax out of your scope it doesn't matter. I like it high because the stock won't drag on your cheek and i think it helps with heat off the barrel. You can lose some weight if you take the extension ring off the front of the scope. Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike
I am not a big fan of having the base stick out over the recoil lug or the barrel.You can save a little weight by cutting it off at the front of the receiver.
I also use a rubber floormat glued in place as my buttpad.It doesn't weigh much at all and you can stand your gun up in the corner without the butt sliding out and dropping your scope on the floor.
I am finaly able to take pictures but I am waiting on a part that allows me to post them.As soon as it gets here I will take some pictures of what I am talking about.Picture a 3/16 thick recoil pad.
Lynn

Making Weight and Bore Diameter

i am at 16.9 which gives me .1 of a pound or 1.6 oz to stay in class.

Just thinking out loud. Let's say the OP is limited to 17 lbs. If he had an identical rig but in .284 caliber, with more smaller bore and barrel material, would he still make weight ??

Is this ever a consideration in these cases ?

In IBS 600 and 1000 yard matches you are allowed 1 oz for scale variance if you are over that on the scale at the range you need to lose some weight or are DQed. If you already shot on a relay and are spot checked for weight afterward and over 17# 1oz on the range scale you are DQed. I use state approved check weights to make sure I am not over.

James

100_0010.jpg100_0009.jpgMike In Co
Mike hopefully these pictures will show you my buttstocks clearly.Total weight must be around an ounce.
These are both Shehane ST1000 stocks which have short wide buttstocks so finding something in rubber is usually tough.
Normal rubber recoil pads have steel inserts in them and when you cut them to fit the steel will often times stick out.If you go Aluminum you can't stand the gun up or you scratch it.
Lynn

Boyd
Its a floormat from Lowes at around $10 and you can get about 30 pads out of it.Regular old Brownells epoxy holds it in place.
I stand my guns up and take them hunting as well so the aluminum while very nice looking would get all scratched up if I owned it.My guns need to be Jeep friendly as well and fit in my gun rack.
Lynn

i dont know...10 bucks is kinda expensive. i paid 2 bucks for the red knee pad in the pics....and think i can get 6-8 of them out of it...

thanks
mike in co

I used the knee pads for my kids' shotguns, doublethick. #1, it DOES NOT take color, your pad will be pink and number two they crush on the gunrack and stay crushed.

I like Lynn's idea

al

100_0025.jpg100_0024.jpg100_0023.jpg

I have tried sorbothane because it is extremely spongey but it collects way too much debris for my liking.Here are 3 ST1000's sporting floormat pads.
Lynn

Back