1000 yd br rifle build/ self build/on a budget...done!!!

what do you have against pink al ???
lol

mike in co...(its actually quite red)

I used the knee pads for my kids' shotguns, doublethick. #1, it DOES NOT take color, your pad will be pink and number two they crush on the gunrack and stay crushed.

I like Lynn's idea

al

Mike
I received the Master 1000 stock a couple days ago and I am very impressed with it.I do see what your talking about with regards to the tang and was wondering if milling the tang shorter would offer any kind of improvement or just cause problems? I will pose the question in the gunsmiths forum.
Lynn

I've made nice light weight pads from 'flip flop' sandals. Lots of colors, thicknesses, they don't compress and are dirt cheap. -Al

ok finally got to shoot it.
today was the third attempt.
i think i know a bit about loading but this gun produced significantly more velocity than expected.
first trip, starting load gave a stiff lift and 200fps more than expected.
second trip...three grains lower than the first starting load, gave what i had expected on the top load for the day...so back to the loading bench.
today, light wind...cold 36 degrees 64% humidity and all went well.
68.5 gave 2911 an es of 10, aprox .45 with only .06 vertical, ...5 shot data, shot as 2 fouling and a 3 shot group
69.5 was 2956 an es of 12, aprox 0.62 with .27 vertical .. 3 shots
70.5 was 2986 an es of 12, ....well i had to reset the bag and the group sucked..2 at 0.4 and the 3rd 1.5 away...vert on the 2 was .35......bolt was firm on the last three but not hard.
so now i have all of 17 rounds thru it.....
ohh and these were all at 200 yds.....
the backer sucked and the target ripped alot thus the "aprox" numbers.
will do some more work...this was all with 208 amax's and h4831, rws brass and russian large rifle mag primers.
comments???

mike in co

next trip.......
took back 68.8/69.5 and 69.8

68.8 .7 with about.3 in vertical
69.5 ok one cold shot and 2 in hole...another shooter on the range and i had to let the gun sit,,,so first shot was cold.....2956 fps
69.8 .316 with about .25 vert....also 2956 fps....es 11
so looks like 69.5 to 69.8 is a bit of a sweet spot for this bullet powder bbl.....
208 hornady amax/hbn coating
so now to load a bunch for the match
ohhh yes all shooting/numbers at 200 yds.......

i also shot some h1000 and some magnum to look just at velocities..and yes this gun shoots fast....
mike in co

this is a bump...'cause i said it was out here for guys looking at my ad.....
(yes my toy is for sale)
mike in co

Mike
Who makes the Master 1000 Stocks? Great looking gun.
Thanks Max

i do not remember his name, but he did advertise in the classifieds.....update..masterclassstocks.com
do an on line search for" master class stocks"
or askk lynn..he just bought some.
mike in co

Picture 081.jpg

Max
I bought one and liked it so much I bought a second one.The finish on them is superb.
I got mine from John Hoover at Accuracy One and he was great to chat with on the phone as was his wife.I got them when he advertised them on the classifieds for around $350 each.Here is his e-mail address J1005xs@aol.com

I don't know if Alex Sitman is still selling them or not but Masterclass is his website and his bedding jobs are the best around.
Mine actually came with pigment so when you make the cutout for the bolt handle you don't see white fiberglass and resin it matches your stock.
Lynn

Last edited:
Mike in Co
How's that gun shooting? Have you done any more load work up? Is there any one making rill good brass for it?
Thanks Max

i work most of the week getting ready to work all weekend...so not much work on the gun. i have some 187 bib's to try,,,loaded just need time to shoot.
it shoots in the low 3's at 200 yds....its not world record, but i was told under .25 at 100 was good for a 1000 yd rifle.
i had it for sale in janurary...but no takers so i guess i will shoot it .
i use RWS brass...i sold RWS brass for about two years, but not currently( 300 win mag only..no other calibers)
mike in co
Mike in Co
How's that gun shooting? Have you done any more load work up? Is there any one making rill good brass for it?
Thanks Max

Back