.009 world record ?

"...such a device would be like launching a nuclear attack against a domestic disturbance."

Huh? What does that mean?

The goal is to measure small groups precisely (reduce error to a negilible amount) and objectively (eliminate human error). Also to do it at a reasonable cost with a practical design all of which is possible IMO anyway.

Concerning electronic targets, it could be done, just take a look at the Swiss manufacturer site Sius Ascor:

http://www.sius.com

They claim for an accuracy of 1/100 th of a mm ( roughly .0004")

Now, for price, just ask for a quotation :D
That's what Wilbur might have called a nuclear power attack :rolleyes:

Good shooting on paper targets :p

Last edited by a moderator:
If it aint broke dont fix it

"...such a device would be like launching a nuclear attack against a domestic disturbance."

Huh? What does that mean?

The goal is to measure small groups precisely (reduce error to a negilible amount) and objectively (eliminate human error). Also to do it at a reasonable cost with a practical design all of which is possible IMO anyway.

They way its done now is fair to all. I know of not one shooter that thinks he's not getting a fair shake.In the end its all about aggs and if all targets are scored by the same person then alls well. I have no gripe with the way targets are scored.

Just a rumor

It has been said that the target may have been upside down. One record shot could have been fired, and five fired on the sighter. I have never said to anyone that I thought this was the case. This would be saying that there was some dishonesty going on, and the shooter is more than likely an honest individual. I'm probably not the only one that this was said to. Honestly, I don't even remember who said this to me, but it's been more than one person. It is obvious that some people do believe this to be the case.

Michael

Unable to get much from that site since it's not in english.

As far as cost goes it shouldn't be too bad. Jeff59 already has a scanning program for the backer. All that's needed is the computer to drive the backer plus an acoustic indicator. Again there's tons of surplus (some brand new) electronic and mechanical stuuf available - just need someone to engineer and build one for starters.

Unable to get much from that site since it's not in english.

Hi, there is a small word at the top right of the home page which says "English"

Hi, there is a small word at the top right of the home page which says "English"

Not on my screen - right side of page is cut off - post a link to english translation.

Is this system for score or group measurements?

Where'd ya go Wilbur?

I was thinking more for 600-1000yd useage..

at 100-300yds you see your shots....it is the long range guys that wuld really benfit from such a system ....but it wuld make scoreing instintanious and eliminate human error !!...Roger

Sorry, but not practical for long range shooting - backer would have to be several feet wide!

OK, I've watched the video - that system is obviously WAY too complex and EXPENSIVE for application to the BR game - MAYBE someday if they ever get them made in China and sell for $29.95 each :rolleyes:

The system I have in mind would be MUCH MUCH less expensive to build - in fact, using surplus components, my $29.95 figure might not be far off the mark. Again first hurdle would be to design the system - after that, building as many as you need should be fairly straightforward.

Anyone seriously interested in pursuing this with me can contact me by PM or email (see my profile).

Last edited by a moderator:
This is Like Electronic Voting

They assure everybody that the machine is dead on accurate, and they need no paper trail to prove it.
Now, we have an actual paper target, with a moving backer to prove you put the shots in the groups.
What we have is not broke. Of course, as usual, there are a bunch of people who do not even participate in Competitive Benchrest telling those that do how it should be done.
We all need to spend more time searching for solutuions to problems that do not exist........jackie

Last edited:
I am NOT telling anybody how "it" should (or must) be done - just theorizing how it could be done with greater precision. Some here at least are interested in how to determine group sizes with greater precision. If it can be done at reasonable cost as I propose, why not explore the possibility? Certainly it is known that even if it can be done, no one can force the BR game to adopt it - just seems interesting.

There will still be a paper target with a backer - the backer will be utilized to determine group size too - that's all.

Sonof A. Gunn
You had a better target material where is it? Now this, I think it is time for you to put your ideas into action. Design it and Build it You would have a ready market if it works as well as you think, and you can do it as cheap as you think.

Last edited:
Why?

Like Jackie said it aint broken.Plenty of people aint puter guys either this is a definite situation for KISS.By all means develop the SOG system of moving backer scoring?The measuring programme is another story.:D

Such stupidity - you try to improve something and all you get is criticism.

As I've posted in the past: you wonder why some people stay away from your game.

Someone here posted a clip to keep ammo boxes open - did he get criticized that "it ain't broke, so why..."?

Electronic scoring obviously is being used widely in Europe, the Olympics, and by the military - why is there so much resistance here to the idea?

Gunn

You get criticized because many of your ideas suggest that you know nothing about 100-200 yard Benchrest.
I am beginning to wonder if you have ever even been to a Registered Match, and seen first hand how things work........jackie

Back