World Record Scoring

Gene B

There has been quite a bit of chatter on this website lately about world record measurements. So now that I’ve managed to hack thru Wilbur’s defenses and again gain the ability to post on this web site, I will try to clarify some miss-conceptions, and I thought I would explain the measuring process and who is involved in measuring a potential world record at this time.
When a potential world record is shot at any registered match it is the competitor’s responsibility to recognize that he or she has just shot a potential record and it is the competitor’s responsibility to see to it that his or her targets and backers are handled properly and that a proper submission is made. The procedure and a copy of the submission form is posted on this web site in the same area as the current records.
I would like to stress that if the targets are removed from the wailing wall by anyone other than a match official, the opportunity to submit the targets for world record recognition is lost. If a competitor handles his targets, or removes them from the wailing wall, even at the range the same day that they are shot they should not be submitted for world record recognition. ONLY MATCH OFFICIALS CAN HANDEL THE TARGETS!! This rule is in place because it is possible to manipulate the targets and to actually shrink the groups on targets by altering them in any of several ways. The targets can be wet down and dried in an oven, they can simply be hammered on, or the smudge left by the bullet can be erased in an area by using a pencil eraser. I’m sure that there are also other ways to shrink a group on a target
I do not want to imply that anything like this has happened to Jackie’s targets. My only purpose in this is to explain the rule so that everybody understands why there is no possibility for any re-measurement on this set of targets.
The actual measuring process goes like this (I won’t go thru what has to happen at the range as that process is explained in the procedure that is posted on this web site.)
When I receive a submission from a regional director, I verify that I have a properly filled out submission form and that all the required signatures are on the targets and on the backers, I take a look at the targets to verify that they are all numbered correctly, I check and verify that the competitor that shot the potential record is in fact a member of the NBRSA. I also check to be sure that the match the potential record was shot at is in fact a registered match. I match up backers with their targets, and check all backers to verify the correct number of shots for each target. If all the paperwork for the submission is in order I will proceed with the measuring process. If there is a problem with the submission I will try to straighten it out with the help of the regional director that submitted the potential record. If I can’t get it worked out then I return the targets to the competitor and let him know why I’ve rejected the submission.
I then tape over the range scores on the targets so my guy’s won’t be influenced by the range score. I fill out all the measurement forms for the target or set of targets, one for each of my guys, and I send the targets and forms to the first guy.
If I have a questionable backer I will send that out with the target, for them to look at, and ask them to give me their opinion on the questionable backer.
I will not use a scorer that is in the same region that the potential record was shot in. If the record was shot out west I won’t sent the targets to my guy out west. I will use the others on my committee for that set of targets.
The first scorer measures the targets, records his scores on my form and mail’s the form to me
He re-boxes the targets and send’s the targets and remaining forms on to the next guy.
This continues until we have three scores from independent people scattered around the country. Nobody sees the range score or knows how the other guys scored the targets, I try real hard to not influence the scorer with any information on how others have scored the target.
When the final guy is thru with the targets he sends his scores and all the targets back to me.
I add up the scores and come up with the official measurement.
I send the targets back to the competitor with either a letter of congratulations or a letter that lets him or her know that the targets didn’t make it and what the official score was. If it’s a new record I also notify the secretary, the President, the regional director that the competitor resides in, and the magazine of the new record so that they can all do their respective things.

That’s the process.

The people on my measuring committee are:

In the West, Lowell Frei
Lowell is a member of the Hall of Fame, he has been shooting bench rest for over 31 years. He has been on my measuring committee for 3 years now.

In the central part of the country, Ron Hoehn
Ron is also a member of the Hall of Fame, he has been shooting bench rest for over 42 years. Ron was on the committee when I took the job as chairman, and he has been scoring targets for over 30 years.

In the East, Kent Harshman
Kent has been shooting bench rest for over 25 years, he holds the IBS Gold Level Precision Rifleman Award and currently sits 18th. All time on that list. He is the current chairman of the IBS world record scoring committee and has had that position for over 5 years.

I am proud to be the chairman of a committee that includes these gentlemen. For those who don’t know me, I am actually the junior guy of this group with regard to Bench Rest experience. I have only 21 years in bench rest. I have been the Director of the Gulf Coast Region, and have been chairman of the NBRSA World Records committee for over 3 years now.

The above group of people have; 54 Hall OF Fame points, over 118 years combined, of bench rest experience and many other accomplishments too numerous to go into here.

I will just briefly address Jackie’s targets.

There is not the shadow of doubt in my mind that the targets were scored properly and that nobody in my committee was biased in any way, including the fact that these targets were shot with a 30 caliber,
Because I thought that Jackie was my friend, and because Jackie is in my region, I did not score Jackie’s targets. I did verify that it was a good submission and that the backers were good. Then I sent the targets out to the guys in my committee for them to score.
The scores that were returned to me were all very close to each other. All the official scorers had the aggregate at well over the existing record.

I will not respond to any other postings about these targets.

If you have any questions about the scoring process, please do ask and I’ll do my best to answer.

Gene Bukys
Chairman, NBRSA measuring committee

54 Hall OF Fame points, over 118 years combined, of bench rest experience and many other accomplishments too numerous to go into here.................................and 1 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!

Andy

Thanks for your thorough post Gene. You explained the process very well.

The IBS is glad to "loan" Kent to your committee. :) I know both organizations Measuring or Records Committees take their jobs very seriously. Jackie's targets represent some damn fine-incredible-shooting. Sometimes the official measurement just doesn't support the range measurements. That is why the IBS's committee is officially called the "Measuring" Committee and not the "Records" Committee, although everyone calls it the latter.

I extend my sincere appreciation to you and your committee for volunteering a significant amount of time and expertise to what is truly a "thankless job".

So range measurements can't be trusted to within .040" ? I wonder how many world record Aggregates haven't been sent in for submission because the Range measured them .040 larger than the records committee would have ? I mean, it's a plus or minus tollerance isn't it ? Why does it always seem the official committee always finds a larger measurement, and not a smaller measurement ? It's not just Group either. How many 24x Aggregates were not submitted to see if the one 10 wasn't an "X". It allways goes the other way. We here of the 25's that turned into 23's or 24's. I'd for once like to see a 25 sent in that turns out to be a 26... Oh wait that's not possible.

Paul

gene b.
thank you for the post.
thank you for the volunteer work of you and the others.
none of which explains the problem.
the targets have been measured by many and i have not heard of a single "scorer" that measured as large as the officials.
i have only been measureing targets for 6-7 years, but i do not see how such a large variation in results can happen at this level.
that simple its too big of a difference.
yes its too late for jackie, and he has been a true gentleman about it, but this is the second time in the last year or so where there was a large difference in the local and the officials.
i believe( my opinion) that the shooter in every case of a denial, should recieve a written explaination of each target...why it is not as submitted. and then a review process for the shooter if he wishes to challenge.
right..ask for change in benchrest rules....oh well.....
maybe we just need younger eyes to do it ??
managed by an experienced shooter/scorer
again thanks for your work and the post....

mike in co

Gene that was a well written explanation.
I have only one question and to make it clear it is not in relation to any one or their abilities or conduct.

With all the care that is taken at the range to make sure no one alters the target intentionally or unintentionally and after what you said about targets and or paper shrinking after being wet and dry along with other possibilities what is the process for shipping/mailing the targets around the various states in this country to maintain the integrity of the paper and insure that the postman or ups/fedex carriers dont allow it to get wet, pressed, crushed or otherwise altered or destroyed. Is there a special air tight crush proof container possibly?

Last edited:
At the range, the measurements of targets needs to be consistent. Whether or not the absolute value is correct is less important. I've long felt that my targets, as measured at the match, were scored a trifle generously, as were the targets of the guys next to me.

In a way, it is like measuring .0001 when setting up to chamber a rifle. You might be able to measure a .0001 difference. You cannot, outside a controlled environment, measure to .0001.

If a range measurement actually reflects which are smaller, that's all we really need.

Having said that, an .040 difference is pretty big. It would be interesting if the top ten aggregates at a gun/yardage were re-measured.

In NBRSA anyway, you cannot take your target down until the protest period is closed. After that, you can, and are "sort of" supposed to. Strictly, I think someone would have to protest the top ten aggs to get them re-measured. That would cost a fair bit.

Thank You Gene, for the excellent explanation of the Records Procedure.

As I have stated, as a member of the NBRSA, I accept the findings of my Sanctioning Body. The targets did not survive the scrutiny of the Records Committee.

For the record, while I accept the findings, I do not agree with them. There is nothing cynical, rude, or disrespectfull in my feeling that way, it is simply my opinion based on the initial range measurements, (a full .040 under the official), and my own measurements after I recieved the targets back. While my measurements are a little larger than the Range Measurements, they are much more in line with those than what the Records Committee came up with.

I doubt I am the first shooter to be in disagreement with an official pronouncement of a Sanctioning Body. And, I doubt I will be the last. This sort of thing is certainly not unique to our Sport, every competitive endevour has had it's share of disputed calls that for the moment, become the topic of discussion, and then fade away as people get back to business.

Perhaps the most famous as of late might be the Umpire call that cost a pitcher a perfect game during last years Baseball Season. Everybody on the planet new the runner was out, it was plain as day on television. Everybody but the Umpire at first base. He admitted later that yes, he missed the call, but the call still stood, (no perfect game), because the rules of the game are more important than an individule occurance. As was stated in your post, the rules are there to protect the integrety of the proccess, not cater to the whim of the moment.

I will build a nice frame, and hang the targets on my office wall. Anybody that wishes to see them can draw their own conclusions............jackie

Last edited:
...act like Jackie...

As much as I would like to be able to shoot like Jackie.....I would prefer to be able to act as Jackie does! Thank you Mr. Schmidt.

role model:
n. A person who serves as a model in a particular behavioral or social role for another person to emulate.

I have the upmost respect for both Jackie and Gene. Both have proven the love of this game, from helping a struggling shooter to giving endless and unappreciated hours to promote the sport and make everyone feel welcome. Thank you both.

The one thing from this experience that is more important than a World Record is Jackie's and Gene's friendship. I sure hope that both of you can see each others side and just chuck it up to being "one of those instantances".

Gene and Jackie, please remember one thing, everyone can be friends when everything is perfect, it's during trying times, when each must set something aside, that true friendship occurs.

God Bless,

Kevin Hovis

Hovis, I have no problem with Gene, he did his job exactly the way he was supposed to. He takes his job as Records Comittee Chairman very seriously.

I have no problem with the entire proccess. A final outcome was reached.

I simply disagree with that outcome.

Don't worry, I'm not on suicide watch.

Heck, what I am really worried about is turning 62 this Saturday.......jackie

Wow 62 now I feel so much better Jackie. I thought you were in your 70's and had less time to be with us.:rolleyes:

Just kidding happy birthday Jackie.

so i have been taking lesson from a young whipper snapper all these years ???( i turned 62 in dec.....lol)
happy birthday!

mike in co

Francis, I believe the Countrys you listed shoot under the Sanctioning Authority of the NBRSA.

The World Benchrest Champoinships are shot under the rules and guidelines set forth by the NBRSA. The Qualifying Matches are all NBRSA Registered Events.

So yes, a NBRSA Record means the same thing as World Record.............jackie

The World Benchrest Champoinships are shot under the rules and guidelines set forth by the NBRSA.

This was the case for the first 10 or so years of the WBC, but is no longer the case. The World Benchrest Shooting Federation developed its own rules (based largely on the NBRSA rules, but with some differences) in 2004/2005. I believe they were used at WBC 8 in 2005, but they were certainly in force at WBC 9 in 2007. The WBSF rules can be found at http://www.world-benchrest.com/documents/wbsf_rulebook.doc

I'm not sure about other countries but to my knowledge New Zealand Benchrest isn't sanctioned by NBRSA, but it is a member of WBSF.

From what I see on most countries Benchrest websites they all seem to have there own country records. The US organisations, both NBRSA and IBS seem to be the only country to call there records "world" records. If either the NBRSA or IBS would recognise a record shot in another country I don't know, but I do know that Precision Shooting doesn't send Screamer patches out to groups shot in New Zealand that qualify...............Ian

Back