We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

Of course my wife had her hair fixed like that and it was blonde. Now at 78yrs old, it is short and auburn. She said she would never have gray hair.

Heck, all of us who are 70 years+ Know that our girls could use half a can of hairspray to get that “look”.

My wife and her sister have been going trough piles of junk in our preparation for moving. She has found many old photos of us.

I was never much to look at, but looking at her old pictures reminds me what a cut Little thing She was, (and still is), and why I fell head over hills in love with her.

Earlville, Iowa last weekend:

WE0GFNkh.jpg

Did you make much gain from your off season work Al?

Tri-State is only an hour away. I think it is one of three all concrete tracks in the USA.

I've known Reed since 1978.

Wow, Al. Just curious, how often does the NHRA adjust the index’s?

It's been a while....likely time for another adjustment. Last time, they whacked .3 (three tenths) off all the indexes.

It's a real Catch 22 situation. If you go further than 1.00 (one second) under the index at an NHRA Divisional or National event, you automatically trigger what's called the AHFS (Automatic Horsepower Factoring System) and that particular engine/car combo gets reviewed for a possible horsepower factor increase. If there's too many 'triggers', that engine/car combo is likely to get tagged with some more factored horse power, which would require you to either move up a class or add weight. If you go over 1.20 under, it's an automatic 4% increase. The U.S. Nationals at Indy is the one National event where the AHFS isn't in play. Racers can let it all hang out there with no repercussions!:cool:

Did you make much gain from your off season work Al? Tri-State is only an hour away. I think it is one of three all concrete tracks in the USA. I've known Reed since 1978.

Dave, it's probably .006 quicker than last season, on average. Reed and his staff at Tri State are really good people. It's one of my favorite tracks! :) -Al

When I was in the Army there was a sergeant in our outfit that had a three wheeler or possibly a four wheeler with the rear two close together like an Isetta that had a Messerschmidt fuselage/canopy for the body. It was very interesting. It didn’t look as interesting as your Flying Ace. Once in the Army I sort of lost my interest in cars as Army pay and Army assignments didn’t add up to much for cars.

Speed Tips

20200622_181401[1] - Copy.jpg

Al, this book was first published in 1957 and was my go to book for buliding my first 283. A chapter was added to include the 327 in 1962. Since you run a 327 I thought sending it to you would be good for a tenth or more.......and you don't have to thank me.

Mort

Last edited:
2020-06-12_150743.jpg

This Ernie Dutre at Fremont with his C/MP ( Modified Sports) Corvette. He won class at the Winter Nationals and got a sponsorship from Champion Speedshop.

He was a single in his class at Half Moon Bay so they bumped him into D/G. He was faster than us but no one complained.The guys were going to flip for who raced him first but I volunteered,......and got dusted.

Later Ernie suggested we take the engine out of the shoebox ( the 55) and put it in a sports car body. Thanks for the speed tip!

Ernie passed away afew years back...He was a good man.

Last edited:
My current situation:

MTIdXkxl.jpg

What changes are you making to the front suspension?
As an aside, I sure hope those aren't Harbor Freight jackstands……….many have been recalled due to structural problems created by their manufacturing.
I assume you are using better quality than that Chinese junk!

Last edited:
The car needs more compression control on the front shocks when it comes down. I'm putting in a set of AFCO double adjustables that will let me adjust the extension and compression separately from each other. They are a pretty large bodied shock and the control arm mounting area needs to be enlarged and a new mounting plate welded in to make them fit. The original shocks mount very close to the inboard side of the coil spring. The new ones still have to be mounted so it complys with the rules which state that the shock must be mounted in the original manner (inside the spring, in this case).

oivoO9Al.jpg

Back