We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

Jackie, the block has been done with unbushed .904 lifter bores. Camshaft is a 308/318 @ .050 with .805/.780 lift on 114 lobe centers. The previous lifters were Crowers and the new ones are Morel. No indictment of the Morels...they're high quality pieces. The proper steps just weren't taken to provide adequate top end oiling. We juggle this all the time, especially with the Dart blocks.

I don't have access to the head flow numbers but they are conventional 24 degree R-M's with a 355 cc intake port. I imagine flow would be around 427/300 cc for these.

That’s a tad more serious than I guessed. I should revise my HP estimate up quite a bit.
And the RPM. That sounds like a 7800+ rpm setup.

Last edited:
That’s a tad more serious than I guessed. I should revise my HP estimate up quite a bit. And the RPM. That sounds like a 7800+ rpm setup.

Yeah, it should make 1,000 for sure....950 with a really safe tune.

When it was 850 on the first pull, we knew there was a problem. -Al

Last edited:
Realy something you guys

jackie, the block has been done with unbushed .904 lifter bores. Camshaft is a 308/318 @ .050 with .805/.780 lift on 114 lobe centers. The previous lifters were crowers and the new ones are morel. No indictment of the morels...they're high quality pieces. The proper steps just weren't taken to provide adequate top end oiling. We juggle this all the time, especially with the dart blocks.

I don't have access to the head flow numbers but they are conventional 24 degree r-m's with a 355 cc intake port. I imagine flow would be around 427/300 cc for these.
if you work on your guns like this your unbeatable

Finally got the car out for one of our Stock/Super Stock races. Qualified #3 on Saturday and #2 on Sunday. The off season work has payed off. By my record keeping, the car is from .005 to .007 faster than last season. The NHRA index for my class (G/SA) at this track is 12.15. In the first round Sunday, I ran a 11.155 or .995 under the index. I went out in the first round both days, though. We keeping workin'! :)

bMS1M69l.jpg

Last edited:
Bit By Bit

Al.
If you can send me the address of the speed shop where you do business, I can mail sonething that's good for a TENTH AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO THANK ME.

Mort

Al, If you can send me the address of the speed shop where you do business, I can mail sonething that's good for a TENTH AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO THANK ME. Mort

I learned to play poker with guys like you. Still have the set of Ginsu knives to prove it!;) -Al

Kind of like the Greeks of Old, Al. They theorized that if a young Greek pressed a new born calf and did that every day, in time they could press a full grown bull. Don’t you love theory?

Kind of like the Greeks of Old, Al. They theorized that if a young Greek pressed a new born calf and did that every day, in time they could press a full grown bull. Don’t you love theory?

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is."
- Yogi Berra

Ginsu knifes

I learned to play poker with guys like you. Still have the set of Ginsu knives to prove it!;) -Al

You had me Al. I had to look up what a Ginsu knive was......turns out I have one. It was a gift from my grandson and he got it from the Dollar store.

Mort

E.T. is where you find it. Will low drag bearings reduce rolling resistance enough to see a performance increase? Two bearings on the pinion, two side bearings on the spool, two large diameter axle bearings, inner and outer wheel bearings on both front spindles, low drag nano-ceramic impregnated wheel bearing lube (not grease ;)), etc.

We'll see..... :rolleyes:

rffaIBCl.jpg

Once the idea occurred to you. You just couldn't not do it. I remember when I hung with the motorcycle racing guys it was told as fact that 6lbs equal one horsepower.

Back in the day

2020-06-12_150307.jpg

A local racer who did well racing K/S. The big trophies were from large NHRA meets which would offer competition in the lower classes.

Back then they had to run a full exhaust system, even if it could be disconnected at the collector for racing.

Mort

Back