We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

This week, we dyno'd this 585 inch big block Chevy. Quite a change from my rules restricted Stock Eliminator engine! :eek: Unfortunately, testing didn't go well. :( -Al

b0SvZSHl.jpg

Covid cruising

Well after relocating to Florida I decided that the Fairmont was not well and needed help, so after 2 different shops I happened to find one that understood my goals and actually knew what they were doing. So the fuel injection setup on the motor was limited in its parameters and was unable to deal with what was going on with this motor. So out with the Bull Fi-tech system and in with the Holley Sniper system. I was shocked....truly amazed with the difference in performance. It is impossible to tell if there is any improvement in MPG because i cannot stop stomping on the loud pedal. Quarantining with a big grin.

https://youtu.be/wm3MvNuxQeU

https://youtu.be/MlDp6p_T7ok

https://youtu.be/I6JaXZvCA4Y

Last edited:
This week, we dyno'd this 585 inch big block Chevy. Quite a change from my rules restricted Stock Eliminator engine! :eek: Unfortunately, testing didn't go well. :( -Al

b0SvZSHl.jpg

I’m intrigued, Al. What’s that beast going in?

Judging from the distance between the water pump mount and the deck, I would bet you used a 10.250 tall deck.

Last edited:
I’m intrigued, Al. What’s that beast going in? Judging from the distance between the water pump mount and the deck, I would bet you used a 10.250 tall deck.

Jackie, the car it's in can be run in Top Sportsman (heads up with a 6.00 flat 1/4 mile index) or what's called a Quick 16 (16 fastest qualifiers, no breakout, first one to the finish line wins). Detuned, it could also run in Super Comp.

The block is a G.M. Bow Tie 10.200 deck. Our involvement in the engine was only to provide dyno services and informal 'consulting'.....I was 'grunt labor'. ;) The engine was originally done by Reher and Morrison and had proven to be a very reliable piece. It was freshened up in the off season (not by Reher and Morrison) and the cam and lifters were changed. I didn't like the exhaust note and it seemed lazy to the throttle to Bob. When it only showed 850 h.p on the first pull, we insisted on investigating.

The lifter change, along with the change in lifter position in the lifter bores due to the base circle difference on the new cam, resulted in the lifters oil band not being exposed to the oil galley in each lifter bore. Short story....very little oil upstairs.

It had burned up all the exhaust push rods and a couple of the intake push rods. There was a lot of shrapnel and swarf in the cylinder heads, as you can imagine.

The owner took it back to the shop that did the freshen up and we'll likely work with them on the issue. Many times, we have to score a .002-.004 deep groove from the lifters oil hole to the lifter oil band so there's an intersection between the oil galley and lifter for push rod oiling. I'm also suspicious of the cylinder wall finish....aaarrrggghhh.

But it stayed in one piece and all the parts were still inside the engine! ;)

Last edited:
Well after relocating to Florida I decided that the Fairmont was not well and needed help, so after 2 different shops I happened to find one that understood my goals and actually knew what they were doing. So the fuel injection setup on the motor was limited in its parameters and was unable to deal with what was going on with this motor. So out with the Bull Fi-tech system and in with the Holley Sniper system. I was shocked....truly amazed with the difference in performance. It is impossible to tell if there is any improvement in MPG because i cannot stop stomping on the loud pedal. Quarantining with a big grin.

Good, good stuff buddy! :cool:

Jackie, the car it's in can be run in Top Sportsman (heads up with a 6.00 flat 1/4 mile index) or what's called a Quick 16 (16 fastest qualifiers, no breakout, first one to the finish line wins). Detuned, it could also run in Super Comp.

The block is a G.M. Bow Tie 10.200 deck. Our involvement in the engine was only to provide dyno services and informal 'consulting'.....I was 'grunt labor'. ;) The engine was originally done by Reher and Morrison and had proven to be a very reliable piece. It was freshened up in the off season (not by Reher and Morrison) and the cam and lifters were changed. I didn't like the exhaust note and it seemed lazy to the throttle to Bob. When it only showed 850 h.p on the first pull, we insisted on investigating.

The lifter change, along with the change in lifter position in the lifter bores due to the base circle difference on the new cam, resulted in the lifters oil band not being exposed to the oil galley in each lifter bore. Short story....very little oil upstairs.

It had burned up all the exhaust push rods and a couple of the intake push rods. There was a lot of shrapnel and swarf in the cylinder heads, as you can imagine.

The owner took it back to the shop that did the freshen up and we'll likely work with them on the issue. Many times, we have to score a .002-.004 deep groove from the lifters oil hole to the lifter oil band so there's an intersection between the oil galley and lifter for push rod oiling. I'm also suspicious of the cylinder wall finish....aaarrrggghhh.

Al, sounds like the Block might have had the lifter bores enlarged to .904, a very popular modification on big blocks, but they stuck in a cam with a base circle designed for the stock .840 bores.

Regardless, we all like to limit the amount of oil going up top, but no oil in the top is not a good thing)chill(

I love to see engine specs. As you know, power is made with four things. Cubic inches, head port flow, cam specs, and compression.

I figure they have around 13 to 1 compression, 274 degrees of duration at .050 and .780 lift, and heads with intakes that flow around 450 cfm at that lift.

That’s about 950 HP at 6800.

Just curious. How close am I.

Last edited:

https://youtu.be/wm3MvNuxQeU

https://youtu.be/MlDp6p_T7ok

https://youtu.be/I6JaXZvCA4Y

HE'LLLooooo, did I hear somebody say "sleeper?"

YEAHHH BAYBIEEE!!

"gas milage".... yeahh right.

I remember when my Suburban took a crap right before a long trip and the dealer couldn't get it fixed.... (BTW, NOT the dealers fault. I got the transfer case flushed at OilChange BillyBob's and they put the wrong fluid back) so the dealer offered me a deal on a brandy new one but with the 8.1 LS-style L18 Vortec motor.

"But my 6 liter has enough power ......and the milage...." I sputtered.

He looked me square in the eye and asked "you don't REALLY drive this for the milage, do you?"

And he was right, I'll never get rid of the big block Sub. It makes a Duramax anemic.

Damn

HE'LLLooooo, did I hear somebody say "sleeper?"

YEAHHH BAYBIEEE!!

"gas milage".... yeahh right.

I remember when my Suburban took a crap right before a long trip and the dealer couldn't get it fixed.... (BTW, NOT the dealers fault. I got the transfer case flushed at OilChange BillyBob's and they put the wrong fluid back) so the dealer offered me a deal on a brandy new one but with the 8.1 LS-style L18 Vortec motor.

"But my 6 liter has enough power ......and the milage...." I sputtered.

He looked me square in the eye and asked "you don't REALLY drive this for the milage, do you?"

And he was right, I'll never get rid of the big block Sub. It makes a Duramax anemic.

Trip meter on my 6.2 Denali. Try averaging 70 mph in 600 miles sometime.

Later
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_20180717_143502282.jpg
    IMG_20180717_143502282.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 186
Trip meter on my 6.2 Denali. Try averaging 70 mph in 600 miles sometime.

Later
Dave

Ohhh, you're exactly right, it's a 'WAYYYY better choice!

Same trip meter, same travel conditions, same everything my milage would show 11

How Do I Know This??

Because mine goes to 11

I took it acros't the northern route from southern WA to Upper MI, through the Rockies in the dead of winter........ 11MPG

I came home southern loop through the middle and up thru Salt Lake City on flat ground....................................11mpg

I reversed the route and did it all over again in the summer ............................................................................11mpg

I drag a 26ft trailer all over the West Coast....................................................................................................11mpg

WA to NC kitty corner???..............................................................................................................................11mpg

But one thing the 6 liter class motors WILL NOT do is slowly scrub all four tyres on dry blacktop. For pulling out stuck equipment, trailering the backhoe, mini or skiddy, pulling a 26ft boat..... the big block is in a class of one.

Attachments

• 6006B38F-A6C1-4622-A029-2028631290B3.jpeg
    6006B38F-A6C1-4622-A029-2028631290B3.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 336
  • 3E59EDD9-E520-4A41-B133-1A9A7D5549C8.jpeg
    3E59EDD9-E520-4A41-B133-1A9A7D5549C8.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 287
I just reread your last line re "averaging 70mph over 600 mi"

That IS frickin' impressive in it's own right. We do that sort of stuff.... my personal record (well, mea'n the wife, straight thru) is 87.78 figured olde school from driving 1861 mi in 21hr-12mn but that were in a car where I remember running thru at least 3 tanks with the cruise set at 126mph

You were smouldering to get 70 in a Denali my frien'!

Dave
Are you 100% back from your accident at the races....are you working?

Mort

It took about 8 months for the hamstring to quit hurting. After that i could finally lift my leg high enough to get my jeans on. Still getting stronger.

Thanks for asking, but no more working for me. I sold the Iowa division last May and the Illinois division in June. It was a two year process working with multiple buyers. Drove me crazy. Wished I would have done it 10 years ago. I have not missed the business one second. Looking forward to doing stuff with the wife, shooting, and racing more. Did lots of stuff to the car this winter and should be going to a T&T in a couple of weeks.

Later
Dave

You made some good time there Jackie. Is that the 6.0 or the 460hp/420tq 6.2L?

It’s a 2018 model, it says 435 hp 6.2 liter. It’s by far the nicest truck I have ever owned.

The good thing about my trip to Phoenix is I get on I-10 about a mile from my house and don’t get off until I hit Phoenix. And once past San Antonio, it’s 85 mph. That means everybody really does about 95:D

Last edited:
It’s a 2018 model, it says 435 hp 6.2 liter. It’s by far the nicest truck I have ever owned.

The good thing about my trip to Phoenix is I get on I-10 about a mile from my house and don’t get off until I hit Phoenix. And once past San Antonio, it’s 85 mph. That means everybody really does about 95:D

My little bro-in-law (funny, he married my little sister who useta' be 'wayyy younger than me, like only 6yrs-old when I left home.... now they've got married kids....) but anyways, my brother in law was recently bragging that his new Denali would just CRUSH my old beater Suburban, that it had more horsepower etc and I thought he was just egging me......

Now I hear you'se guys...It probably does have more horsepower if it's that 460hp version!

LOL

:)

Al, sounds like the Block might have had the lifter bores enlarged to .904, a very popular modification on big blocks, but they stuck in a cam with a base circle designed for the stock .840 bores.

Regardless, we all like to limit the amount of oil going up top, but no oil in the top is not a good thing)chill(

I love to see engine specs. As you know, power is made with four things. Cubic inches, head port flow, cam specs, and compression.

I figure they have around 13 to 1 compression, 274 degrees of duration at .050 and .780 lift, and heads with intakes that flow around 450 cfm at that lift.

That’s about 950 HP at 6800.

Just curious. How close am I.

Jackie, the block has been done with unbushed .904 lifter bores. Camshaft is a 308/318 @ .050 with .805/.780 lift on 114 lobe centers. The previous lifters were Crowers and the new ones are Morel. No indictment of the Morels...they're high quality pieces. The proper steps just weren't taken to provide adequate top end oiling. We juggle this all the time, especially with the Dart blocks.

I don't have access to the head flow numbers but they are conventional 24 degree R-M's with a 355 cc intake port. I imagine flow would be around 427/300 cc for these.

Back