We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

I bought the car off my friend in Indiana and it came with a fully rebuilt 302W and C4, but I'm leaning toward a small block based on a 8.2" Dart block bored and stroked to 363, I just haven't decided if it'll wear Windsor heads or Cleveland heads for that "Boss" look.
The C4 will be replaced with a 4R70w and a 9" now resides in the rear.

The car was originally a 6cyl but had been fitted with a 302W before my bud got it, he had the motor rebuilt but the car still had the 6 cyl diff and front drum brakes.

My aim is to have a quick streetable Mustang that stops as well as it goes and corners like a more modern car, it now wears TCP coil over on the front and back so hopefully the road holding will be a bit of a step up from the original Mustang suspension.

I'm in the process of assembling everything to check for fit and see if I need to fill some holes or make some to mount things and also align all the panels. I don't want to paint it then find I've got to do some drilling or cutting to fit or mount things.

Here goes a pic of it when my bud towed it out of the bottom garage to get it going after it had been parked up for a few years

Last edited:
Ian,

I've had the 944 for nearly fourteen years. It had 43,000 miles on it when I got it and full documentation. It now has around 70,000. It's been clean and covered in the garage all winter. We've just had a week of unseasonably warm weather and the roads have been clean and dry. Last week I spent half a day taking it out of the garage and driving it up north on my favorite twisty two-lane. I really love driving that car on the nearly deserted roads that we have this time of the year.

This summer the back of the car is going to be filled with benchrest equipment and it will go to as many matches as I can fit in.

A few years ago I redid the interior to my liking. The original was black cloth with pinstrips. The Nardi wheel had just been sitting around for years... all I did was buy an adapter. I really like Cocomats and always buy them for cars I like.

For years after I bought the Porsche it didn't appreciate a nickel. The last couple of years 944's have increased in value a lot and it is now worth more than double what I paid for it according to Hagerty's.

Last edited:

A few years ago I redid the interior to my liking. The original was black cloth with pinstrips. The Nardi wheel had just been sitting around for years... all I did was buy an adapter. I really like Cocomats and always buy them for cars I like.

For years after I bought the Porsche it didn't appreciate a nickel. The last couple of years 944's have increased in value a lot and it is now worth more than double what I paid for it according to Hagerty's.

Dick I'm not sure what a 944 is worth in the USA but here goes one for sale in NZ probably 109600m on the clock not 9600m
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/porsche/auction-1260867867.htm

How does that compare to prices in the USA? Ian

The front suspension is coming apart and will be juggling upper ball joint lengths and positioning to cure the negative camber at full suspension travel. When the camber gets too negative, the toe in changes excessively. Depending on where the front end ride height settles to, there could be a few .001's of a second there. With these stockers, the E.T. is where you find it...and it's not always under the hood. ;)

Banana Belt

Green grass in Feb? Back home, they always said you folks on the other side of the river lived in the Banana Belt.

How did you do at the meet?

I bought the car off my friend in Indiana and it came with a fully rebuilt 302W and C4, but I'm leaning toward a small block based on a 8.2" Dart block bored and stroked to 363, I just haven't decided if it'll wear Windsor heads or Cleveland heads for that "Boss" look.
The C4 will be replaced with a 4R70w and a 9" now resides in the rear.

The car was originally a 6cyl but had been fitted with a 302W before my bud got it, he had the motor rebuilt but the car still had the 6 cyl diff and front drum brakes.

My aim is to have a quick streetable Mustang that stops as well as it goes and corners like a more modern car, it now wears TCP coil over on the front and back so hopefully the road holding will be a bit of a step up from the original Mustang suspension.

I'm in the process of assembling everything to check for fit and see if I need to fill some holes or make some to mount things and also align all the panels. I don't want to paint it then find I've got to do some drilling or cutting to fit or mount things.

Here goes a pic of it when my bud towed it out of the bottom garage to get it going after it had been parked up for a few years

Nice looking Mustang, I have a 73 Mach1 with a 408C. Cleveland heads are certainly well designed and definitely will flow some air. Is the cleveland stuff prevalent in NZ like it is in AUS.? I think a good set of clevo heads would mate well with the 362 cube dart block. I had the 2v aussie CC heads on my 351 cleve but went to alloy heads when I increased the displacement to 408ci

Attachments

• IMG_0045.JPG
    IMG_0045.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 227
Green grass in Feb? Back home, they always said you folks on the other side of the river lived in the Banana Belt.

How did you do at the meet?

I wish...pics were from October :D. Lost in the semi finals (4 cars left). I was .042 on the tree and ran .001 over, guy in the other lane was .018 and .002 over.

I wish...pics were from October :D. Lost in the semi finals (4 cars left). I was .042 on the tree and ran .001 over, guy in the other lane was .018 and .002 over.

Great driving by both of you....but how often does someone take a .018 tree?

You got robbed!

Nice looking Mustang, I have a 73 Mach1 with a 408C. Cleveland heads are certainly well designed and definitely will flow some air. Is the cleveland stuff prevalent in NZ like it is in AUS.? I think a good set of clevo heads would mate well with the 362 cube dart block. I had the 2v aussie CC heads on my 351 cleve but went to alloy heads when I increased the displacement to 408ci

Cleveland stuff is pretty plentiful here in NZ, I've had a set of 2v aussie CC heads sitting under the bench for 30 years just waiting for a motor. But I'll probably get a set of alloy heads if I go cleveland.

Last edited:
Dick I'm not sure what a 944 is worth in the USA but here goes one for sale in NZ probably 109600m on the clock not 9600m
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/porsche/auction-1260867867.htm

How does that compare to prices in the USA? Ian

Ian, the link expired before I got to it. When I renewed the insurance last summer Hagerty's told me it was worth $16,400.00. This for a #2 car which mine is. The 944's have appreciated a lot in the last couple of years. The first ten years I owned it, it was worth $6500.00. I had paid $7000.00 for it in 2003 and was a tad underwater for years. I knowingly paid a bit too much because of the low mileage and good condition.

It's going to need a timimg belt change this year and that's expensive... I'm guessing around $2000.00.

When I was a little kid, I saw American Graffiti on TV (circa 1979). That movie struck a chord and years later I ended-up building this:

Not a yellow 5-window deuce, but it's in the same vein (chopped, fenderless, 4-speed, etc). I watched the movie again last night and it still moves me.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

When I was a little kid, I saw American Graffiti on TV (circa 1979). That movie struck a chord and years later I ended-up building this:

Not a yellow 5-window deuce, but it's in the same vein (chopped, fenderless, 4-speed, etc). I watched the movie again last night and it still moves me.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

And, with a "Nail Head".

That's a fine looking Hot Rod.

American graffiti

The movie was very popular when it first came out, and my wife and I went to a downtown first run theater to see it. We joined a small crowd of people waiting outside to get their ticket's, when some kid's.came down the street honking the car horn and mooned everybody. We didn't get it until we got inside and saw the movie.

American Graffiti portrays exactly the culture I grew up in... spent a lot of summer nights cruising Saginaw's main drags in my Ford coupe. We have a copy and play it often... still gives me warm, fuzzy feelings. Those were good and innocent times and they are not coming back.

Jackie, that is a really nice car.

Back