We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

Cold, windy with a threat of snow today here in The Forbidden Zone. Was reorganizing my gun room and ran across this....a hot August day in Brainerd, Mn., circa 1982.

Warmed my brain up a little. At least until I went out to get the paper......

Cold, windy with a threat of snow today here in The Forbidden Zone. Was reorganizing my gun room and ran across this....a hot August day in Brainerd, Mn., circa 1982.

Warmed my brain up a little. At least until I went out to get the paper......

LOL! My wife and I saw you race there....I took a pic of that car.

Jackie, I've been eyeballin' those.

They make a lot of sense for a Pro Touring rig like your Chevelle. -Al

Al, I have talked to a couple of the manufactures of these custom frames, and one thing they seem to "forget" is how you are supposed to get a good 3 inch exhaust under there, and still have any reasonable ground clearance.

I have a 3 inch X pipe, (TorqueTech), under mine, going through Walker Super Dynomaxes. On the stock A-Body 4 link, you can get them looped over the axels with some room to spare. But the way all of these aftermarket frames are designed, with the link arms further out, it's not going to be easy.

I'm not real sure I can call my car a "pro touring" build. While I have addressed the majority of the problems people have in building a true street "hot rod", (brakes, cooling, steering, etc), I did take out the air conditioning.

It's just a "Hot Rod". Loud and scary.

67 435 hp 427

I am partial to Mid-Years - Matching Numbers with Factory Sidepipes.

Bob

Attachments

• CORVETTE-435.JPG
    CORVETTE-435.JPG
    437.7 KB · Views: 188
I was working at a friends shop in south Florida back years ago and he had another friend come down from Ohio and while he was down they were going to fix the rear suspension on his 67 425 hp Vette . We put it up on the lift and it had a big piece of steel welded to the frame of the car with a big torch cut hole in the plate. I asked the owner what was that all about? He tells me the car got stolen and was found about 5 days latter with an empty gas tank. This happened a few more times. The story around the neighbor hood was that when the kids that stole it told their friends how fast it was they came and tried it out then the story was told again, and again. The car was chained to the column that holds up the carport with a big chain and lock through the hole in the plate. The says now I can find it any time I want to go for a ride.

One of my latest toys, 2016 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat

4766e9ea496f08aaa2fa69c035318e32_zpsqe3qzps3.jpg

So how is the SRT (Street Racing Technology) HEMI? I had a Baldwin Motion 426 Competition HEMI Road Runner in 68, but I was really impressed with the new technology HEMIs, even the smaller block one I had in my 2006 Charger.

Bob

So how is the SRT (Street Racing Technology) HEMI? I had a Baldwin Motion 426 Competition HEMI Road Runner in 68, but I was really impressed with the new technology HEMIs, even the smaller block one I had in my 2006 Charger.

Bob

While not my kind of car, you have to love the new technology. Both my Top Machinist and my younger Brother have 2016 ZO-6 Vetts.
Low eleven ET's at the track, and 26mpg on the hyway. Amazing vehicles.

Bob

Suspension is nice it handles really well on a high bite road. Still not enough tire under the car to handle the hp the motor puts out. I don't have a lot of miles on it 630 I think so I can't comment on the fuel mileage it gets. I had to reach 500 miles in order to unlock the power modes and make full use of the power settings built into the car. I will soon debadge it so to make it somewhat a sleeper.
All in all it's over priced just like anything else. But it's two cars in one you could say. It's a very nice riding luxury sedan with all sorts of bells and whistles, and the other side of the coin it's a power house that'll sit you back in the seats and having the passenger yell ok that's enough. It's not a wet road kinda car you want to be out playing with I'll tell ya that. At 80 mph on a dry road kick it down hold on and it'll light the rears up.
Technology has come along ways on today's cars and trucks.

James that farm in the back ground looks a lot like my cousins place in Johnson City. The barn and the silos especially. But he's got no SRT!!!

James that farm in the back ground looks a lot like my cousins place in Johnson City. The barn and the silos especially. But he's got no SRT!!!

Yea that's my car :) I don't remember where I was at when I stopped and took the pic. I was trying to get the 500 miles on the car so I could really play with it. I'm pretty positive though I wasn't in Johnson City with it, heck I could be wrong I can't remember squat much anymore.

LOL, BUSTED :)

That would be truly small-world funny right there.....pull over at the scenic farmhouse for the pic, and then meet someone who knows where it is ....

Al, I have talked to a couple of the manufactures of these custom frames, and one thing they seem to "forget" is how you are supposed to get a good 3 inch exhaust under there, and still have any reasonable ground clearance.

I have a 3 inch X pipe, (TorqueTech), under mine, going through Walker Super Dynomaxes. On the stock A-Body 4 link, you can get them looped over the axels with some room to spare. But the way all of these aftermarket frames are designed, with the link arms further out, it's not going to be easy.

I'm not real sure I can call my car a "pro touring" build. While I have addressed the majority of the problems people have in building a true street "hot rod", (brakes, cooling, steering, etc), I did take out the air conditioning.

It's just a "Hot Rod". Loud and scary.

I puzzled over the exhaust, myself Jackie. Would be great if the engine had a 'hairdryer', no?

I puzzled over the exhaust, myself Jackie. Would be great if the engine had a 'hairdryer', no?

Al, when I first had the 540 built, I did it with the intention of possibly hanging a ProCharger off of it. I even had the cam ground on 112 lobe centers in anticipation of doing just that. I had ProCharger run the numbers using my Dyno Sheet and the parts we used, and they said with just 8 lbs of boost, that thing would get close to 1000 HP, and about the same amount of torque.

I kinda chickened out. The TCI 6X 6-speed automatic would be taxed to the limit, and even though Pyle Brothers did all the "right things" to the 12 Bolt Rear End, I would probably still be looking at 9 inch down the line.

So as for now, I'm just going to enjoy it. It's pretty brutal just the way it sits. Heck, it can scare me, but then, I am getting kinda old.:D

Last edited:
Ohhh C'Mon!!! It's TEXAS fer cryin' out loud........you could go with sidepipes.......

Or chromed STACKS....

LOL

Back