We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

Nice, Al. Where on the GS/A index are you running.

And refresh my memory, what engine/tranny/rear end gear are you running in that Nova?

Jackie, the sea level index for G/SA is 12.00. Where I live live, most of the tracks have some sort of index correction for the altitude....starting at 1500 ft., per NHRA. For example, Kearney, Ne. is 12.21 due to the tracks altitude. Earleville Iowa is under 1,500 ft., so no correction applies. Best this year was -.78 under. Normally, the car is -.65 to -.68 under the index.

327/275 h.p. (cast iron intake, QJet carb, .390/.410 hydraulic lifter cam, factory 1.94/1.50 valve heads, 10.5 compression, 3,140 lbs with me in it. Trans is a Metric 200 (TH200), 2.75 low gear, 5.14's in the rear. Pretty visually boring engine, for sure!

Hope your Chevelle is still going strong...looks like a great piece! -Al

Last edited:
Jackie, the sea level index for G/SA is 12.00. Where I live live, most of the tracks have some sort of index correction for the altitude....starting at 1500 ft., per NHRA. For example, Kearney, Ne. is 12.21 due to the tracks altitude. Earleville Iowa is under 1,500 ft., so no correction applies. Best this year was -.78 under (11.40). Normally, the car is -.65 to -.68 under the index.

327/275 h.p. (cast iron intake, QJet carb, .390/.410 hydraulic lifter cam, factory 1.94/1.50 valve heads, 10.5 compression, 3,140 lbs with me in it. Trans is a Metric 200 (TH200), 2.75 low gear, 5.14's in the rear. Pretty visually boring engine, for sure!

Hope your Chevelle is still going strong...looks like a great piece! -Al

That's a great under index. What do you rev that 327 too? I haven't fooled with a 327 since just before I was drafted back in 1968. I had a 65 Malibu SS with a 300 HP 327, a local legend helped me put a set of Thrush Cherry Bombs with some cheap headers, a old Corvette Duel Point, rejetting the carb, and a few other things. It had double hump heads. I wish I had it now:p

They really like to rev.

My Chevelle is running great. I might drive it to work in the morning.

Last edited:
Al

That's a real nice car.

Most people have no idea of the amount of engineering effort it takes to build a quick stocker.

Al

That's a real nice car. Most people have no idea of the amount of engineering effort it takes to build a quick stocker.

Thanks. :) For example, Stock Eliminator engines must have the factory valve lift for the engine...in my case it's .390 intake and .410 on the exhaust. On my new build, it ended up at .383 and .403. It's wise to be .001-.003 under so there's no issues in tear down. I spent today juggling pushrod length, pushrod wall thickness and height of the pushrod cup in the lifter to gain back a bit of lift. Eventually, I ended up 'finding' .004 on both sides (.387/.407) and still kept the geometry decent.

There's a couple of ways to look at shooting/building guns. You're only going around one time (unless you're Shirley MacLaine) so you better enjoy it and make the best of it.

When it comes to spending BIG $$ on cars? You can sleep in your car but you can't drive your house to the store.;)

Some good video of one of our Stock/Super Stock races this season. At 46 seconds into the video, you'll see a race between me and Curt Hieb in his Cobra Jet Mustang. The finish line shot shows what it's like to lose by .001 (one thousandth) of a second. :(

Kinda' like shooting a 49-4X target at 100 yds......;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UR6QV75gPg

who won?

Some good video of one of our Stock/Super Stock races this season. At 46 seconds into the video, you'll see a race between me and Curt Hieb in his Cobra Jet Mustang. The finish line shot shows what it's like to lose by .001 (one thousandth) of a second. :(

Kinda' on shooting a 49-4X target at 100 yds......;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UR6QV75gPg

When it's that close I guess you wouldn't know who won until you were on the return road.

Some real good drivers.

Love door slammers.

wrinkle walls

Wheels up and wrinkle does it for me too. If I remember correctly, it broke out running a 6.05 on a 6.06 that pass (1/8 mile)

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Nice car....leaves hard. Bet you can feel that in the seat of your pants.

On another car thread you posted a picture of an orange Nova on a trailer. You never said much about it. Any info?

Nice car....leaves hard. Bet you can feel that in the seat of your pants.

On another car thread you posted a picture of an orange Nova on a trailer. You never said much about it. Any info?

This one?

If so, it's my '64 Chevy II. Tube-chassis under a 540 BBC topped with a lot of nitrous. Pro-built TH400 connects to a narrowed 9" (4.86 cogs with a spool). Like the yellow car, it leaves hard and goes straight.

Since that picture was taken, it got wheelie bars.....and it may get a fogged 632 Chevy in '17.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

This one?

If so, it's my '64 Chevy II. Tube-chassis under a 540 BBC topped with a lot of nitrous. Pro-built TH400 connects to a narrowed 9" (4.86 cogs with a spool). Like the yellow car, it leaves hard and goes straight.

Since that picture was taken, it got wheelie bars.....and it may get a fogged 632 Chevy in '17.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Lee, That is a very nice combo!

This might be my next "addition" to my Malibu

Several manufacturers are now producing aftermarket frames for GM A-Bodies from '64 through '72.

https://www.artmorrison.com/chevelle.php

This would be a tremendous project. There is no way I could do it myself. But this would be keeping in line with my quest to spend $300,000 to have a $30,000 car;)

Back