Shipyard stories

I know I once had suggested that the tallow/lard in question could be grease from a Navy mess. Now that I'm a lard expert I have to say that this couldn't possibly be true.

In defense of the Navy the Marine Corps food wasn't anything to brag about. I think they fed it to us so we wouldn't B**** about what we were served aboard ship.

My two best meals were at Kadena AFB Okinawa and at a Naval air station in Japan.

My very small sample suggests the Air Force and Navy/Marine Air Wings ate better than the rest of us...any comments?

Mort
I ate @ many Air Force bases (lots of TDY) & I can say that the food available varied greatly !! I think it depended on whether the cooks were selling food supplies out the back door. By the way I loved SOS !!!!

Sos

I used to go to a restaurant that would serve SOS on Veterans Day. It really wasn't that good......Sometimes our memories lie to us.

SOS was never my preference but it always tasted better in the field. kind of like hot dogs taste better at a game or on a picnic.

SOS on a cold morning in the desert at 29 Palms wasn't that bad. SOS however, after waiting in line forever in the dark freezing your --s off, just below the snow line on Mt. Fuji, was a whole another experience, I thought I really liked it...........Then I went to the restaurant on Veterans Day.

Mort

Last edited:
I used to go to a restaurant that would serve SOS on Veterans Day. It really wasn't that good......Sometimes our memories lie to us.

SOS was never my preference but it always tasted better in the field. kind of like hot dogs taste better at a game or on a picnic.

SOS on a cold morning in the desert at 29 Palms wasn't that bad. SOS however, after waiting in line forever in the dark freezing your --s off, just below the snow line on Mt, Fuji, was a whole another experience, I thought I really liked it...........Then I went to the restaurant on Veterans Day.

Mort
I expect you're right. I haven't tried SOS in a long time. (I'm sure some people don't understand what those initials stand for) !!

It's been over 50 years since I was (forced) to eat it.

For those that don't know, it's "Sh-t on a Shingle", a not so polite name for "creamed beef on toast".

Old Ships

When I was a kid I was attracted to sailing ships....the American Clipper was and still is my favorite.

One time in Japan we were berthed near a cruiser (light, I think) . The proportions between the deck/hull and the super structure made it very attractive. I'm sure that wasn't the intent but sometimes war machines turn out that way...like the Spit and the P51.

All this just to say a cruiser came into the ship yard while I was working there. I think it had come out of mothballs. In any case the first thing that happened was the removal of the forward gun mounts. They were replaced by a missile house and launch system. Ugly!....and the new radar system made it even worse.

I know the Navy was trying to fill a gap in defense capabilities by using an existing hull. It's about the money and I understand that.

After sea trials the ship was back in for a tune up and I got to board her with someone who was familiar with the feed system from the missile house. I didn't know anything about what he was doing and still don't. I was just there to lend a hand and never saw him again.

In our immediate company was a Navy Petty Officer with a government 45. Never saw him again either.

I was hoping I could walk around the ship a little bit but that never happened.

I like old ships, old machinery and I still do. I worked in the right place at the right time.

Mort

Last edited:
I got to see my old ship get towed out of San Diego Bay. I was working on a carrier. Don't remember which.....
Just sat on the pier between 2 carriers for lunch. I look up and there it was....

Scrapped. A couple of weeks ago. I goggled a ship and looked at images...And ran across a cruiser tied up in moth ball fleet. Might be it....Not sure.
Scrapped.
https://www.navsource.org/archives/04/1121/040121.htm (battle E incorrect. We got 2 when I was on it. Should have been 3....)
USS Gridley CG-21.
When JF Kerry was on it, they called it a DLG. And up until decom., there was a question that every new guy(officer and crew) got axed...."What are your initials?" "Do ya think, you will be president some day?" That went on for 25 yrs.....

Nice picture of an SM-2 Launch. 600 miles 95% kill ration.
Bad thing about losing those ships. Box launch SM1 is only 300m......

Attachments

• 04012202.jpg
    04012202.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
Tim

Great pic and a nice looking ship.

The info is really interesting and I will have questions after I sort it out.

Will be busy over the Holidays but will get back.

Merry Xmas.

Mort

The picture they had on a post card was really good.
I have a pic of an asroc launching. In the early morning pea green soup, that blows out to sea after 1100 - 1300 hrs....Ah! "the marine layer".
That's why San Diego has the best weather. Marine layer blows in at night. Keeps things sorta cool. Especially during Santa Anna winds....
Here's why climate change is BS. LA/San Diego smog. SD smog comes from LA. It took science 100 yrs to figure this out.....It's a circle. Down the coast, Out to sea, up the coast, inland, down the coast....All they had to do was axe a local....Indian. They would have told you....They used this knowledge to avoid fire season.....A very old indian explained this to me.....

Mort

Can’t believe we live in the same town, both served in the Navy and enjoy shooting and have never met. When the holidays are over send me a PM and lets figure a place to meet for lunch!

Here is a specialty Shipyard job we did last week on a new 3200 Horsepower Tug for NGL. We are drilling the Reduction Gear/Clutch foundations. Each gear has eight 1 1/2 inch bolts. The four corner bolts on each foot are "body fit", which keep the gear from shifting under normal operation.

We set up jacking screws on every corner, and align the Gear Output Coupling to the Propellor Shaft Coupling. Everything has to be cinched tight so nothing can shift during the drilling operation.

We machine the Body Fit bolts from Grade 8 blanks we buy. They are fit with .001 interference fit. I soak them in liquid nitrogen for about 20 minutes and slip them in. The inner bolts on the Gear Foot just get Grade 8 non fitted bolts.

I use a big #4 Ingersol Rand Pnuematic Corner Drill and fabricated mount that more ore less makes it a portable drill press. I place it where the bolt is to be, and tack weld it in place. Each drill has it's own guide bushing. It might look a tag crude, but with this, we can drill and ream extremely precision holes quite efficiently.

After we install the bolts, the Shipyard will pour "Chockfast Orange" Chocks to complete the setting in of the Gear.

If you notice the plate between the Gear Foot and the foundation, it i there because when using Chockfast, the thickness of the chock cannot exceed 1 3/4 inchor be less than 1/2 inch. These would be 2 1/4, so you include the plate so you have two 3/4 thick Chocks.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20499&stc=1&d=1514143452

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20497&stc=1&d=1514097432

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20498&stc=1&d=1514097520

http://chockfast.com/products/two-component-epoxy-chocking-compounds/chockfast-orange/

Attachments

• IMG_2232.JPG
    IMG_2232.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 559
  • IMG_2236.JPG
    IMG_2236.JPG
    789.1 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_2240.JPG
    IMG_2240.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
Scrapped. A couple of weeks ago. I goggled a ship and looked at images...And ran across a cruiser tied up in moth ball fleet. Might be it....Not sure.
Scrapped.
https://www.navsource.org/archives/04/1121/040121.htm (battle E incorrect. We got 2 when I was on it. Should have been 3....)
USS Gridley CG-21.
When JF Kerry was on it, they called it a DLG. And up until decom., there was a question that every new guy(officer and crew) got axed...."What are your initials?" "Do ya think, you will be president some day?" That went on for 25 yrs.....

Nice picture of an SM-2 Launch. 600 miles 95% kill ration.
Bad thing about losing those ships. Box launch SM1 is only 300m......

The GRIDLEY was commissioned in 1963 with Terrier and Asroc missles. 5 years later she was decommissioned. Was this an upgrade to the SM-1 or-2?

The Gridley was commissioned in 1963 with Terrier and Asroc missiles. 5 years later she was decommissioned. Was this an upgrade to the SM-1 or-2?
The ships " E" ribbon shows two white bars,,,,one for each "E" ? How many sections can earn an "E" ?

Were the Gridley and the England sister ships?

I talked to a fellow I worked with at the shipyard .He said the cruiser we converted to missiles on the forward deck. was the Chicago. She was a heavy with 10 in. guns.

Last edited:
Here is a specialty Shipyard job we did last week on a new 3200 Horsepower Tug for NGL. We are drilling the Reduction Gear/Clutch foundations. Each gear has eight 1 1/2 inch bolts. The four corner bolts on each foot are "body fit", which keep the gear from shifting under normal operation.

We set up jacking screws on every corner, and align the Gear Output Coupling to the Propellor Shaft Coupling. Everything has to be cinched tight so nothing can shift during the drilling operation.

We machine the Body Fit bolts from Grade 8 blanks we buy. They are fit with .001 interference fit. I soak them in liquid nitrogen for about 20 minutes and slip them in. The inner bolts on the Gear Foot just get Grade 8 non fitted bolts.

I use a big #4 Ingersol Rand Pnuematic Corner Drill and fabricated mount that more ore less makes it a portable drill press. I place it where the bolt is to be, and tack weld it in place. Each drill has it's own guide bushing. It might look a tag crude, but with this, we can drill and ream extremely precision holes quite efficiently.

After we install the bolts, the Shipyard will pour "Chockfast Orange" Chocks to complete the setting in of the Gear.

If you notice the plate between the Gear Foot and the foundation, it i there because when using Chockfast, the thickness of the chock cannot exceed 1 3/4 inchor be less than 1/2 inch. These would be 2 1/4, so you include the plate so you have two 3/4 thick Chocks.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20499&stc=1&d=1514143452

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20497&stc=1&d=1514097432

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20498&stc=1&d=1514097520

http://chockfast.com/products/two-component-epoxy-chocking-compounds/chockfast-orange/

I got it and I really like your drill press setup.You are definitely a no frills kind of guy....and it works.

Pouring the chocks looks like a mess waiting to happen.

Could you send a pic of the finished installation on the one in the previous pictures?

Mort

The Gridley was commissioned in 1963 with Terrier and Asroc missiles. 5 years later she was decommissioned. Was this an upgrade to the SM-1 or-2?
The ships " E" ribbon shows two white bars,,,,one for each "E" ? How many sections can earn an "E" ?

I talked to a fellow I worked with at the shipyard .He said the cruiser we converted to missiles on the forward deck. was the Chicago. She was a heavy with 10 in. guns.

Yes.
Chicago was different Style(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Chicago_(CA-136)). Not sure. That's what I remember.....
My first CO was the XO of the Chicago. Then CO of Gridley. The CO of Chicago. Was Battle Group Admiral for our WESPAC. Reihman and admiral were drinking buddies...We got pier side in every port. Even Hong Kong. Really nice....

White bars are part of the ribbon.
You are not really a US Sailor are you?

Surprise for Tim

White bars are part of the ribbon.
You are not really a US Sailor are you?

The word "Decommissioned" was from the history of the USS Gridley. She was out of service for 1 1/2 to 2 years. Thought it might have been a change to the SM 1 or SM 2 launched by the England in the large color photo you posted. My time frame could be way off.

You said the ship has earned three"E" awards but they only showed 2. When I saw the ship "E" ribbon it had the white bars. Two bars mean 2 "E" awards?...guess not. I also thought the ship could earn "E" awards in gunnery , engineering, etc. etc.

Tim, you are right I was never in the US Navy but we spent a lot of time together.
Mortenson Cpl. U.S.M.C 1890408 1959-1963

Last edited:
Back