Shipping Abroad

F

fe1

Anyone know if its legal to ship a scope to Scotland frm the US of A and what the process would be including receiving payment from there.
TIA

pretty sure its a controlled product...
you are gonna have to check with customs...

mike in co

Simply put, No. You need a export license from eigther DDTC or DoC. DDTC for Mil-spec stuff, DoC for normal sporting scopes.

I live outside US, but it I did live in the US I wouldn´t take the risk. The max penalty is a 250,000$ fine, 10years in prison, or both.

Anyone know if its legal to ship a scope to Scotland frm the US of A and what the process would be including receiving payment from there.
TIA

There are many items that in the name of Homeland Security are restricted to ship across US borders without previous import/export licensing paperwork in advance. Rifle scopes are one of them. The US State Department will have a list.

There are many items that in the name of Homeland Security are restricted to ship across US borders without previous import/export licensing paperwork in advance. Rifle scopes are one of them. The US State Department will have a list.

Dennis is absolutely correct, and the cost of the paperwork is astronomic.

The Homeland Security gang have screwed over the small to medium US retailers and manufacturers big time. Just ask any of them.

Dennis is absolutely correct, and the cost of the paperwork is astronomic.

The Homeland Security gang have screwed over the small to medium US retailers and manufacturers big time. Just ask any of them.

I know it really ticks us off in Canada but it has really screwed small businesses in the US big time. The smaller ones more so than the large ones as they can pass the cost on to the foreign importer more easily. I don't see it changing in the near future if ever.

Holy cow! Cabelas................really???? How did I miss that? I guess they will become another one that bites the dust in regards to retailers willing to supply outside the 48.

They just don't care do they?

Of course every Taliban terrorist has a Cabela's catalogue in their foot locker as well as their 5 steps to Allah's heaven instruction manual.

Bureaucracy gone mad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Denis

Its not just the Mom and Pop small businesses that are suffering. The larger mid sized businesses are also feeling it. Just crazy IMO. Typical knee jerk over reaction.

So I take it that individuals shipping abroad is next to impossible. Right?

So I take it that individuals shipping abroad is next to impossible. Right?

For any parts on the restricted list, yes.

They are stupid laws, for sure. I can send a reasonable lot of unprimed rifle brass almost anywhere in the world (except Canada), but something as innocent as a spring . . .

Ray

For any parts on the restricted list, yes.

They are stupid laws, for sure. I can send a reasonable lot of unprimed rifle brass almost anywhere in the world (except Canada), but something as innocent as a spring . . .

Ray

Ray, brass is on the restricted list too, all components ... nothing to do with Canada, just US export laws.

Ray, brass is on the restricted list too, all components ... nothing to do with Canada, just US export laws.

I am a cartridge collector and if I send empty cases and loose bullets as inert collectors cartridges, the package will sail thru customs without a question. As long as the number is reasonable.

My comment about Canada was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. We don't want to start THAT discussion again, do we?

Ray

I am a cartridge collector and if I send empty cases and loose bullets as inert collectors cartridges, the package will sail thru customs without a question. As long as the number is reasonable.

Ray

I am not saying it doesn't sail through customs, not all of them are up to what requires licensing to export. However this export question was brought up quite some time ago and I believe all cartridges & bullets; inert or otherwise are subject to this restriction. Import/export licensing required.

There's usually a big gap between what a law says and the extent that federales want to pursue violaters. What is surprising to me is that most all collectors I know are very leery when it comes to shipping any cartridges between Canada and the US, and yet, they will trade willingly with collectors in all other parts of the world. Maybe they've heard about those Canadian jails? ;)

Ray

There's usually a big gap between what a law says and the extent that federales want to pursue violaters. What is surprising to me is that most all collectors I know are very leery when it comes to shipping any cartridges between Canada and the US, and yet, they will trade willingly with collectors in all other parts of the world. Maybe they've heard about those Canadian jails? ;)
Ray

Ray, your memory is weak... the reason you don't MAIL "inert munitions" to Canada is the Canadian Postal System will not accept it. Canada Post clearly states it prohibits shipping of 'inert munitions' within the Postal System. It has nothing to do with Canadian import laws.

Mail is the cheapest form of shipping things... so cartridge collectors prefer to use it.

Dennis - My memory is not weak. OK, it's weak but not gone for good. I remember the discussions. They always seemed to end with, "What is the definition of inert munitions?" I never did get an asnwer. One official told me, off the record of course, that there was no definition. It was purposely left out in order to nab certain people who would find a loophole if inert or munitions or inert munitions were defined. What a way to write rules and regulations! :(

Most of us have found that it's far easier to have a shooting friend take the ammunition across the line and have someone on the other side UPS it to the final destination. Breaking one law in order to avoid another. But, you don't have to inert it with that method. If you mail them they have to be inert.

Here we go again.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Back