Shipping Abroad

It clearly states:

Export of night vision equipment and optical sighting equipment is controlled by the U.S. Department of State Office of Defense Trade Controls, in accordance with International Traffic in Arms (ITAR), Title 22, Code of Federal Regulations Part 120-130 and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) U.S. Department of Commerce.

Mr. Sorensen,
Your laws may differ. I did not inquire about Canada so I cannot comment on that issue. I only inquired about shipping from U.S.A. to Scotland in the United Kingdom. The info I provided is what was provided to me by the U.S.Dept of Industry and Security, the U.S. Dept. of Commerce and the U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security. They all said it could be shipped to Scotland. I have kept records of times,dates, and the persons I've spoken to, JUST IN CASE.
It all depends on where it's shipping from, what country its shipping to and the type of optics being shipped from what I was informed on.

I don't doubt they said it could be exported to Scotland, what they failed to tell you is an import/export license is required... (Unless the law was changed in the last month)

Canada has no restrictions on importing target and hunting rifle scopes. Period. No import/export licensing required. We simply have to obey the exporting country's regulations.

The U.S. Department of Commerce and the U.S. Department of State, Office of Munitions Control regulates our products. Due to this we kindly request that you read the below paragraphs regarding export regulations.

If you should have any questions or require additional information regarding export regulations please contact our knowledgeable and experienced staff or contact the:

U.S.Department of Commerce
Bureau of Industry and Security
Office of Exporter Services:
PH (202) 482-4811

U.S. Department of State
International Traffic in Arms Regulations
Office of Defense Trade Control:
PH (202) 663 2714

Last edited by a moderator:
U.S.Dept of Commerce Bureau of Industry and Security Office of Exporter Services is who I spoke with and instructed me to write" ECCN 0A987 is NLR (No License Required) To Scotland and place it in the #17 License No. Box on the USPS Customs Declaration and Dispatch Note-CP72 .

U.S.Dept of Commerce Bureau of Industry and Security Office of Exporter Services is who I spoke with and instructed me to write" ECCN 0A987 is NLR (No License Required) To Scotland and place it in the #17 License No. Box on the USPS Customs Declaration and Dispatch Note-CP72 .

That probably is the correct procedure for an item that does not fall under 'controlled items'. Rifle scopes however have been 'controlled items' for several years now... unless that has changed in the last month.

I hope the laws have changed but until I see it in a dated official writing from a government website stating rifle scopes no longer are 'controlled items' and require no export licensing, I won't believe it has changed.

Just a few instances taken from Government websites:

Export of Rifle Scopes - On July 24, 2008, Euro Optics Inc. was sentenced in the Middle District
of Pennsylvania to a $10,000 corporate fine, $800 special assessment, and five years of corporate
probation. On March 17, 2008, Euro Optics Inc. pled guilty to violating the International
Emergency Economic Powers Act and the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations related
to exports of Department of Commerce and Department of State-controlled rifle scopes to various
countries without the required licenses. This was a joint case with the U.S. Immigration and
Customs Enforcement/Philadelphia. (Other Dual Use)

Commerce Department Penalizes New Hampshire Firm for Exporting Firearms Equipment Without Licenses
Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Export Enforcement Michael J. Garcia announced today that the Department of Commerce has imposed a $25,000 civil penalty on Thompson/Center Arms Co., Inc. of Rochester, New Hampshire, in settlement of allegations that the company exported rifle and pistol scopes from the United States without the required export licenses.
The Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) alleged that on five occasions in 1998, Thompson/Center Arms Co., Inc. exported rifle and pistol scopes to Argentina, the Czech Republic, and Switzerland without the export licenses required by the Export Administration Regulations. Thompson/Center Arms Co., Inc. has agreed to pay a civil penalty of $25,000 to settle these charges. Payment of $12,500 of the penalty was suspended and will be waived after one year, provided that the company does not commit any violations during that one-year period.
Firearms Manufacturer Penalized for Unlicensed Exports of Rifle Scopes
Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Export Enforcement Michael J. Garcia today announced that Sturm, Ruger and Company, Inc., of Southport, Conn., has agreed to pay a civil penalty of $11,000 to settle an allegation that it exported rifle scopes to Oman without the required license. A license is required to export the rifle scopes to most destinations in order to ensure that the scopes will not be used to violate human rights.
The Commerce Department's Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) had alleged that Sturm, Ruger had sent a shipment of 12 rifle scopes from the United States to Oman without obtaining the required export license from BIS. The $11,000 penalty is the maximum authorized for that charge.

Well the scope cleared customs in the US and Scotland and is in the hands of the New Owner. Although Scotland taxed the shipee $174.00.
So it is perfectly legal to ship a commercial grade scope to Scotland.

Back