Referee Duties

How many Hunter Class shooters have ever been to a registered match and had a referee check their rifles to see that they conform to the rules?

Over the past 15 years I have participated in both IBS and NBRSA events with a hunter rifle. In that time, most only check weight. I have never had a fore end checked for width. At one IBS national I had a magazine cutout inspected for compliance All of my hunter rifles have been built to the most stringent of the two organization's standards. For example, the NBRSA does not require a magazine cutout in the stock, but does specify fthe action must have a magazine cutout. The IBS requires that stock and action be able to accept a loaded round. As a result of this my rifles have followed the IBS rule. This will let me compete without another gremlin wandering in my head instead of concentrating on a shot.

I would think that he would only need to check 3. The 3 best finishers. If the out of spec gun didn't make the top three what was the difference?

I like the sticker on the gun idea. I've seen people change guns during the course of a match, and they are never checked.

I like the sticker on the gun idea. I've seen people change guns during the course of a match, and they are never checked.
But they would never change rifle components once they have the sticker on it?

Bench rest isn't my game any more, but I'm chief range officer for a couple of Aussie state championships. It occasionally happens that a rifle morphs out of spec once it's been scrutineered.

Protocol

The IBS has a simple protocol when it comes to enforcing the rules. In this type of situation, if a competitor's rifle is thought to be outside the rules, the referees inspect the rifle, and make a ruling. If the rifle is ruled to be illegal, then the owner of that rifle has the right to file a formal protest to be ruled on by that discipline's committee, and/or the E-Board. In the event that the rifle is ruled as legal, then the same protocol applies to the other competitor(s) wishing to protest the referees findings. In either case, the protest must be written on the same day the event took place, and given to the match director, to be turned over to IBS. If this protocol isn't followed, the IBS can't rule on the incident after the fact. Therefore, whatever ruling (or lack there of) was made at the range on tournament day, is the final ruling.

I think you're missing the point. The issue is that you can show up with a rifle that makes weight and you're good to go - because nothing else is checked.

Protocol

Hal, I understand the protocol. I just wonder why it isn't being followed. If a shooter uses an illegal rifle, and after the match it is brought to the attention of the referees, how can the matter not be resolved then and there?

It isn't being "resolved" because the shooters in attendance simply don't care or do not wish to be involved.

Hal, I understand the protocol. I just wonder why it isn't being followed. If a shooter uses an illegal rifle, and after the match it is brought to the attention of the referees, how can the matter not be resolved then and there?

I sent you a PM Eddie.

Yes, I will agree that happened. At this time I'm not sure it should have happened....but I was sure back then!

Like "Slick Willie" said, "It all depends on what is is"

"Sounds to me like someone has been listening to Fake News."

It would be a great thing if the IBS and NBRSA rules on Hunter rifles were the same. Oh! What the hell am I thinking?

NBRSA and IBS ever agreeing on anything?

Last edited:
Many of the rules are self regulating.

All of the major stock manufacturers know their product has to meet the requirements of the Sanctioning Bodies. All of the major barrel manufacturers produce barrels with contours that are specifically designed to fall within the rules of the Sanctioning Bodies.

It's the same for Custom Actions.

Yes, individuals can alter the product, but this is a very rare occurrence. And besides, if a shooter is serious about spending the time, money, and effort to compete at the top level of the game, the last thing he wants is to throw it all down the tubes with a rules infraction.

So, we come down to weight. This is the one thing that is easy to check. It is also the one thing that is totally controlled by the shooter. And, it is "black or white", so to speak. Either the Rifle's weight is within the rules, or it isn't.

Through the years, the NBRSA has removed quite a few of the rules that had shooters shaking their heads. That ambiguous "1/4 inch depression" thing on bags is gone. "Being able to lift the rifle without disturbing the rest" is gone. The whole "do-nut under the rear bag" got resolved years ago.

So on a sense, Referee's jobs have become more less demanding. The basic one of accepting measurement protest on targets is probably their biggest responsibility, because we don't want individules shooters handling targets during the Aggregate. This is just common sense.

I believe that the rules are in place for a reason. They give us a basic set of guidelines to build by, assuring that there is a level playing field within the classes.

It then comes down to the shooters ability to make the best use of the equipment, and to make the correct decisions when the command of "commence fire" is given.

Rules

I guess it's too much to expect any clarity from an organization that names a class "Unlimited" and then proceeds to list all of the limitations on the rifle.

As it pertains to the actual Rifle, NBRSA Unlimited has but two restrictions, 18 inch barrel, and to be safely fire.

The other restrictions are bench equipment rules such as not being able to attach the Rifle to the bench, and requiring muzzle of the barrel to extend past the front of the bench.

Back