Probes

what you guys are saying is all fine, well, and good but don’t be so fixated on your flags alone. Learn to read everything “out there”. You are allowed to read the other guys flags and use them to your advantage as well. You can pick up a trend before it gets to your firing lane by looking right and left. And everybody doesn’t use your style or color of flag or type of tail. Learn to read them all. That is all i’m going to say on the subject, which was “probes” to begin with.
well at least you are learning.

if the ribbons are pointing straight to the sky approximately what wind speed is that.

If ribbons are pointed 20 degrees above horizontal what will the
wind speed be across the rang
thank you bill
thats for you to find out qiitly and then shoot

I might be the odd one out here but i also pay attention to noises. Like if the trees start getting noisy or a noisy daisy wheel starts getting loud i know the wind is picking up.

i might be the odd one out here but i also pay attention to noises. Like if the trees start getting noisy or a noisy daisy wheel starts getting loud i know the wind is picking up.
thats great keep learning got long ways too go. More practice good luck.

Ive also found its easier to notice changes when shooting outside in the open compared to shooting from within a building as i find yo can feel slight changes. But most of my shooting is shooting from within a building.

hi louis. It looks like a nice setup
i see a lot of sox's in use around air ports
i made 3 about 3 year a go very similar to yours for me the sox's was not sensitive enough for rimfire .what are they made of louis
one thing they did work for on my range. One set 10 yards from target,
on the right hand side and one set about 20 on the left
when the sox's point the same angle in the opposite direction.

Thanks you for the reply and good luck chris
in 1974 they had socks in canada just were not plain enough. Daisy surpases all for clairty. Ask boyer.

Chris sox's are made from real light weight trash can liners. They are light enough to show a whisper of wind but also not typical at our range.

Chris sox's are made from real light weight trash can liners. They are light enough to show a whisper of wind but also not typical at our range.
Good thank s Louis yes it is
extremely light I try it as flags ribbon I found it just to light for me
When it get damp they tends stick to every thing they come in contact with Do you find that with the sox's

Theses days I tend spend time modifying probes similar but not the same as Beggs

Chris I haven't had any real issues in a light rain. If a heavy rain match is typically cancelled. My socks are 34 inches in length and each sock only weighs 113.8 grains and material thickness is 1 Mil or .001. Diameter at ring is 6 inches and tapering to 4. Here is a better picture showing the counter balancing means, pivot, ball joint leveling head and bubble level. The ring is a 6 plastic embroidering ring from hobby lobby.

Last edited:
Having tried several various types of wind flags over the years including Gene Beggs probes. I finally settled on making my own and the best I have found to date. The wind sock is made from the cheapest and lightest trash can bags and is directly attached to the Cloroplast vanes. These are also very well balanced and it is hard to see. One side is orange and the other side is green they also have the adjustable ball heads on the stands. Why they work so well for me is they show both wind direction and the wind speed with just one look and they are also very sensitive. I use four so all I have to do is it to just look at only four things to see the direction and speed. If using vanes and tails I would then have to look at eight the vanes for direction and the tails for speed and that is twice as much that I would then have to try and calculate. All the while when all eight are constantly going through changes in both direction and speed.

You will never see a setup like that at a RF or CFBR match at any serious level primarily because those socks, no matter what the material, are far too heavy and pick up subtle changes in intensity and direction too slowly.
You want light tails/vanes, usually with a daisy wheel.
Still use my double vane Wicks with one petal on the daisy painted black. For lighter wind conditions the Aussie style folded pinwheel variations work well.

Unfortunately I cannot not agree I used socks to accomplish a National Championship and a National Record some time after that. I have been a competitive Benchrest competitor now going over 23 years. Like I said I have tried just about every type of wind indicator available including Gene Beggs Probes. You do have a right to your own opinion but if you have not used my own you really cannot comment on if they do or do not actually work?

Back