Probes

The challenge is it's all personal preference. I have and tried to use Beggs design windprobes, but never really became comfortable (or maybe a better word is confident) with them. I think another important aspect is deciding/understanding how to use them. For me, the idea of a windicator/probe of any sort is more about knowing when NOT to shoot rather than trying to use it to gauge how far to hold off, etc. If you are trying to use it to hold off, I think you will just frustrate yourself unless you really have a lot of experience with them over time.

I personally decided that I liked the idea of a windicator on each flag as I feel it gives me a better representation across a broader range. I liked the concept of the Besche windicators, but I didn't like that they are essentially "reversed" to the actual direction of the wind meaning if the wind is coming from the right, the pointer actually goes right which is the opposite direction the wind is pushing the bullet. Now, based on my other statement above about using it to determine when not to shoot, that shouldn't really matter, but in my mind I wanted to see the indicator going in the direction the wind was going to push the bullet.

I decided to make my own windicators as shown below. Not saying they are the best or answer for anyone else, but I like them the best of what I have used so far. The simple point as mentioned by Tony above is to go watch some and decide what you think you can understand the best. No one thing works for everyone.

i-m5HjbFJ-M.jpg
HI HOZZIE Its good to see you trying to make a probe that will work for you
I have been experimenting with probes On and off for years When I read the book by
Glenn Newick The Ultimate in rifle accuracy Long time back
Basically the same as used now but a paddle instead of two cups or a foam ball
He did not like them back then I been trying to prove him wrong for years

Last edited:
hi hozzie its good to see you trying to make a probe that will work for you
i have been experimenting with probes on and off for years when i read the book by
glenn newick the ultimate in rifle accuracy long time back
basically the same as used now but a paddle instead of two cups or a foam ball
he did not like them back then i been trying to prove him wrong for years
remenber tail and ribbon tells it all.

Remember tails will indicate the vertical wind factor at times and not the true wind speed :rolleyes:

Chris

everybody has their ideas about flags. I started with flags with a small vane and light floppy tails.i next bought 6 of don nielson's real high quality flags with daisy wheels, next were charlie hood double vane flags with and without daisy wheels, next were 4 beggs wind probes, next were what i use now, 6 brt flags with props, not daisies. I do use a wind probe between my first and second flag and another between the second and third. I like the brt props as they start and stop instantly with a pickup or letup. I found the daisies to be slow to start and they are a flywheel after the wind quits.
daisy dives direction ojb will give you what to watch.

Guys I do no think you know what I am saying
If the wind is moving a cross the range at say 35 degrees to to the flag post The tails may not indicate the true wind speed
They may only track the wind angle :rolleyes: Now if the same wind was moving a cross the the rang at say 90 degrees to the flag post

Last edited:
guys i do no think you know what i am saying
if the wind is moving a cross the range at say 35 degrees to to the flag post the tails may not indicate the true wind speed
they may only track the wind angle :rolleyes: Now if the same wind was moving a cross the the rang at say 90 degrees to the flag post
. The ribbon gives you the speed the tail direction..

. The ribbon gives you the speed the tail direction..
IF the ribbons are pointing straight to the sky approximately what wind speed is that.

IF ribbons are pointed 20 degrees above horizontal what will the
wind speed be across the rang
Thank you Bill

Having tried several various types of wind flags over the years including Gene Beggs probes. I finally settled on making my own and the best I have found to date. The wind sock is made from the cheapest and lightest trash can bags and is directly attached to the Cloroplast vanes. These are also very well balanced and it is hard to see. One side is orange and the other side is green they also have the adjustable ball heads on the stands. Why they work so well for me is they show both wind direction and the wind speed with just one look and they are also very sensitive. I use four so all I have to do is it to just look at only four things to see the direction and speed. If using vanes and tails I would then have to look at eight the vanes for direction and the tails for speed and that is twice as much that I would then have to try and calculate. All the while when all eight are constantly going through changes in both direction and speed.

Last edited:
HI Louis. It looks like a nice setup
I see a lot of sox's in use around air ports
I made 3 about 3 year a go Very similar to yours For me the sox's was not sensitive enough for rimfire .What are they made of Louis
One thing they did work for on my range. One set 10 yards from target,
on the right hand side and one set about 20 on the left
When the sox's point the same angle in the opposite direction.

Thanks you for the reply and good luck Chris

Last edited:
What you guys are saying is all fine, well, and good but don’t be so fixated on your flags alone. Learn to read everything “out there”. You are allowed to read the other guys flags and use them to your advantage as well. You can pick up a trend before it gets to your firing lane by looking right and left. And everybody doesn’t use your style or color of flag or type of tail. Learn to read them all. That is all I’m going to say on the subject, which was “Probes” to begin with.

Back