Powder Scales - Electronic

O

Old Timer

Is there anyone who can tell me if electronic scales are better than the beam type. If so, what kind is the best ?

They are the only way to go. And the RCBS Chargemaster is in a class by itself. Trust me, you won't look back.

Denver Instruments MXX 123 and Acculab VIC 123 are excellent digital scales for the money. Both are made by the Satorius Group in the U.S., and are accurate to .01gr. I've had my DI MXX 123 for a couple of years, and have been very satisfied with it - sure beats the Dillon Determinator it replaced, and I was in hog heaven with the Dillon from the day I first used it back in the early '90s.

They are the only way to go. And the RCBS Chargemaster is in a class by itself. Trust me, you won't look back.

I have one on order, but it doesn't look like it will show up before the Super Shoot. They appear to be in short supply as everyone shows them on backorder.

this topic came up a few years ago, and from that

i went to www.durascale.com and bought two--one is small, weighs down to
0.1 grain up to about 5 lbs. the other i use for larger postage from 25lbs to 75lbs. the prices were incredibly cheap, to me. accurate, repeatable.

check 'em out

regards, tbob

I think it takes a pretty good electronic scale to be BETTER than a balance beam and then the scale needs to be set up properly to realize that accuracy.

At the recommendation of several shooters here I bought a Hornday GS-350. It is a portable scale powered by a couple of AA batteries. I have only messed around with it in my loading room but it seems to be fully as accurate as my Redding balance beam. I have tried a few other digitals both cheaper and more expensive and they didn't impress me the way the GS-350 has.

It has a flip over pan cover that you can still drop powder through and a hard plastic carry box that does a good job of protecting the scale.

I use a lyman DPS and it fared me well at the crawfish even running on generator power. the 3rd generation throws powder faster than I can seat the bullets. for just a plain jane nice digital- denver instruments are very nice

The Chargemaster Combo is very accurate and easy to use. Reloading is fun with this scale. I kept my beam for backup just in case my home power should go out. Here is a good source with a good price: http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=rc98923&src=BA183 You just have to be patient. Art

"Patience is a virtue", I think?? They are very slow but accurate. If you weigh cases they are great for that task. I have plenty of time but very little patience so I still weigh my charges. My old Ohaus balance model came out of a test lab and is very accurate. A friend of mine weighs, drops charge then seats the bullet while the next charge is weighing. Good system if you concentrate which I have a hard time doing since I lost what mind I had..

Electronic scales

i went to www.durascale.com and bought two--one is small, weighs down to
0.1 grain up to about 5 lbs. the other i use for larger postage from 25lbs to 75lbs. the prices were incredibly cheap, to me. accurate, repeatable.

check 'em out

regards, tbob

Bob,
I bought a small Jennings electronic scale from that outfit for under $70 that meets all my reloading needs. It is fast, accurate, and repeatable.
Chino69

The Chargemaster Combo is very accurate and easy to use. Reloading is fun with this scale. I kept my beam for backup just in case my home power should go out. Here is a good source with a good price: http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=rc98923&src=BA183 You just have to be patient. Art

I tried ordering one from Natchezss.com but they will not sell to individuals in Alabama, Tennessee or Georgia. Their software is not set up to handle collecting sales tax in those states so they will sell only wholesale in those states.

Yesterday I wound up buying one on eBay and cancelling my order with MidSouth. I paid more for it, but I will have it in time for the Super Shoot.

since 1962 i've weighed powder on a ohaus balance beam scale(.243, .308, 30-06, 38 special). i did use rcbs powder measure for bulleseye for hand made .38wad cutters in a 52S&W. electronic scales can go off calibration and you may not know it went off calibration. beam scales stay reliable.

For what ever it's worth.....

I have a Commercial Denver Instrument/Ainsworth electronic scale. Weights to the .001grain and displays to the 0.01g as fast as you can set a bullet on, take it off and put on another.

I have had the Hornady, Lyman, RCBS, and Dillon electronic scales with the Dillon being the best with the others being pure junk.

It was very interesting to compare this very high dollar Denver Instrument scale to two differnet RCBS 10/10 scales. The RCBS 10/10 scales were dead nuts accurate. The weight that I calibrate the Denver Instrument scale with cost $90 in 1989. Based on the comparison of of the Commercial Denver Instrument scale and the 10/10 scale...the 10/10 scale is one increadible buy for the money. I would hate to say what I paid for the Denver Instrument scale in 1989.

My patient comment referred to the fact that Natchez Shooters Supplies is temporarily out of stock. Art

Sorry about the my confusion. I timed the cycle yesterday and on average it takes about 45 seconds. Up side, one can sit back and relax while waiting and the accuracy is phenominal. After all why do we go to all the trouble to do our own loading, it's supposed to be fun, or in my case I can't buy mine preloaded. Too many weird chambers. Should have stuck with the standard chambers. Heck that would be unheard of. All that jabbering aside the RCBS Chargemaster system is the "cats meow".

Old Timer,
What kind of shooting do you do, and where do you load? I think that the answers to these questions have some bearing on the answer to your question. It seems to me that there are a lot more flaky electronic scales than have been reported in this thread. Even the higher end scales have their problems. On the other hand, if you use coarse grained powder, I think that you will like the RCBS Chargemaster. I have used a friend's.

Don't go cheap on your scale. I gave away my RCBS 505 that came with my partner press combo.

I replaced it with a RCBS Rangemaster 750 and despite using it to load my rifle rounds and calibrate my powder thrower, I'm looking to sell it and replace it with an automatic dispenser scale.

i've used a chargemaster for 2 years now and love it. I recently had to return it for repairs , because the touch pad went screwy. RCBS replaced it without charge. It took 2 weeks to get my new one from them. No charge , not even shipping! That is first rate backing !:D They replaced the entir unit no questions asked .

Back