Powder Scales - Electronic

mastiff54

or some of us read your post wrong. I have noticed variations in my Chargemaster. After reading the manual, which suggested recalibration after the scales sit for some period of time, and following the suggestion, the scale seems to be more repeatable. I noticed this with cases which I had weighed previously and happened to weigh them again. I was seeing .2 or .3 grains diffenence and after recalibration they started repeating. From your post it appears that there was no significant time lapse between weighings. Big question do rounds which weigh the same shoot better? I have shot some very good groups with case weight variations as much as 3 grains...

On pans & Funnels - -

I keep a case next to the pan with its weight written on it. I also periodically check random cases on the block and when I'm done with a run I again check 4-5 random loads.

The hardest thing with this setup is finding an easy way to transfer powder from the scale pan to the case. I have several different funnel setups and for my compressed loads I must reach up over my head to dump the powder, tiring.

Pete,

I watched the videos on 6MM BR.com and another video I think on the RCBS site. Unless they're slow I can beat them handily, 30% at least.

I too throw and trickle with my fingers. I've learned to seed from 1 to 5-6 kernels perty handily and can nail the weight to the kernel 50% of the time.

Taking kernels out is the slowest, I've used several little plastic tweezers and scoops but the quickest way yet is with my latest plastic RCBS funnel/tray I can pinch up 2-3-4-5 grains and drop back in the remainder.

I DO want to try the Chargemaster but I've talked myself out of it so far ;)

BTW, I've seen the Chargemaster advertised as "accurate to the tenth of a grain"...... Is this "plus-or-minus" or a tenth total? anyone care to share? Using H4350 this translates to either 5 or 10 kernels accuracy as a kernel of H4350 normally reads as .02gr.

al

I have two of the Lyman pan funnels; a small pan with a funnel built into the handle. I trimed one to match the other and use them when in the automatic mode. This cuts a few seconds off the process and I use the funnel if I can, (some loads & powders don't require a big drop). If the load requires a big drop I have a funnel with an 8" tube fited to it and simply run the powder through that. When I am throwing and trickling by hand I still use the pan funnels and allow the unit to zero whilst I am dropping the charge.

Of course, people who are good at just throwing charges directly into the cases seem to shoot just fine and competatively. I guess I just suck real bad at using a powder measure.

What I have learned about digital scales.

After contacting Lyman, RCBS and Ohaus I have gathered the following information:
Most of these scales use strain gauge technology. . Learn more on strain gauges at http://www.sensorland.com/HowPage002.html

The strain gauge can give you good weighing results for weighing static loads, but can drift much more due to temperature variations which may occur by just by using the scale. Especially those with the feed motor (like the DPS 1200) which will generate heat just from being used. Zero often, and calibrate when suggested by the system.

Any voltage fluctuation may confuse the electronics into thinking the load has changed
These scales are VERY sensitive and will detect any movement which could cause the strain gauge to flex at all under it’s load (including the empty pan). Light drafts can be caused by the movement of your hand while loading the scale and will affect the reading, but should stabilize once the 'breeze' subsides. Test it – it’s cool!
Any vibration of the scale will affect the reading if it causes the scale to move at all. Another fun test.
AC Line noise will affect the scales, a line conditioner is an excellent investment.
Fluorescent lights are not a problem unless they are close to the scale, in the 2 to 3' area.
Cell phones can cause interference with electronics, all recommend that they be turned off if near the scale (10ft)
Static charges will also make funny things happen - the used dryer sheets was a great suggestion that works.

Both RCBS and Lyman have offered to evaluate the scales for me, I pay shipping, which I will do, and am grateful for since they are not brand new. These are great companies who stand behind their products and support their customers.

You'll see get better performance, linearity and repeatability with an electromagnetic weigh sensor which cost a whole lot more, and takes us back to the “Does it really make a difference?”

I have received a lot of feedback asking “What am I thinking and why worry about it so much?”. Well the answers are simple in my mind. The pursuit of perfection is why I got into the hobby of shooting, smithing and reloading. It’s fun to be able to make one hole. When I screw up and miss blow a group, I like to be able to prove to myself that the variation was the shooter (me) and not the other variables. For me this is fun. The other concern I have and wanted to understand is regarding loading pistol rounds where a tenth of a grain is much more of an issue than with my 25-06.

My brother and I load 17 Mach IV (17 Fireball) and 460 Rowland cartridges which are by nature fairly hot and sensitive to load variation. A couple of tenths of a grain will make a significant difference. (If you haven’t shot a 460 Rowland in a 1911, you have to try it, Clark makes great barrels and they shoot great. http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/rowland.htm )

I have purchased an Acclab VIC 123 which reads to .01 grains and will continue this crazy pursuit of one hole groups !!! If there is interest I’ll write back later with more information and some statistical comparisons (GR&Rs for you quality geeks) of these measuring tools. Thanks to all who replied and contributed. This is a great community and I am proud to be a part of it.

Back