One of my better investments

Here is Goldmans take on gold as of Aug. 8 th, 2011. They have been advising their clients to buy it for years.

LONDON (MarketWatch) -- Investment bank Goldman Sachs GS -4.55% Monday raised its forecasts for gold and silver prices, noting that its economists now place a one in three chance of a U.S. recession that would most likely occur within the next six months.

Goldman warned that the rising risk of a negative global event amid unsettling sovereign debt issues and lower growth forecasts will underpin gold going forward, especially given a decline in U.S. real rates and weaker U.S. economic outlook.

But gold is still "underbought," the bank said, and is lagging the collapse in U.S. real rates. With the weaker outlook for U.S. economic growth delaying the likelihood of higher rates by mid-2012, Goldman now expects to see gold's rally extend through next year instead of peaking.

Here is Goldmans take on gold as of Aug. 8 th, 2011. They have been advising their clients to buy it for years.

LONDON (MarketWatch) -- Investment bank Goldman Sachs GS -4.55% Monday raised its forecasts for gold and silver prices, noting that its economists now place a one in three chance of a U.S. recession that would most likely occur within the next six months.

Goldman warned that the rising risk of a negative global event amid unsettling sovereign debt issues and lower growth forecasts will underpin gold going forward, especially given a decline in U.S. real rates and weaker U.S. economic outlook.

But gold is still "underbought," the bank said, and is lagging the collapse in U.S. real rates. With the weaker outlook for U.S. economic growth delaying the likelihood of higher rates by mid-2012, Goldman now expects to see gold's rally extend through next year instead of peaking.

Now why would a smart guy like you listen to these lying bastards that have led the international currancy dilution to make work shoes unaffordable for the working man?

How can you not get rich when your buying pallets of gold just before your associates at the Fed open the spigots for the largest infusion of money in history squared. Low interest rates combined with dollar dilution guaranteed hefty returns for millions of gold bugs.

I know you have a disdain for gold for some reason but your peers over at Goldman are sure digging it right now and their clients have been well positioned for years.

Most brokers will not tell their smaller clients about investing in gold but historically the larger clients and sovereign wealth funds are always told to maintain a percentage as a currency hedge as part of a diversified portfolio.

. Look at the debt clock one more time and be honest with yourself. Goldman isn't piling into pallets of gold cuz they are hoping for a speedy housing recovery or the economy to roar back soon.....but instead to protect themselves from their own currency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything you need to know about gold in 60 seconds- seriously! No need to beat a dead horse but this is important as most folks watching CNBC etc. had no idea how this was planned out years ago.

Ben Bernanke, our trusted Fed head, explained the relationship between dollars and gold in simple language in his famous speech to all the other Fed heads back when gold was $300. not long ago.

excerpt:

" Like gold, U.S. dollars have value only to the extent that they are strictly limited in supply. But the U.S. government has a technology, called a printing press (or, today, its electronic equivalent), that allows it to produce as many U.S. dollars as it wishes at essentially no cost. BY INCREASING THE NUMBERS OF DOLLARS IN CIRCULATION, OR EVEN BY CREDIBLY THREATENING TO DO SO, THE U.S. GOVERNMENT CAN ALSO REDUCE THE VALUE OF A DOLLAR IN TERMS OF GOODS AND SERVICES, WHICH IS EQUIVALENT TO RAISING THE PRICES IN DOLLARS OF THOSE GOODS AND SERVICES. We conclude that, under a paper-money system, a determined government can always generate higher spending and hence positive inflation.”

This was written by the guy in charge of printing.

Don't tell me you didn't see this on your favorite liberal financial news channel - doh!

If your broker/advisor is not intimately familiar with how paper money and gold work cut your losses and find one that does.

TomD,

if you don't mind sharing I would love to know what make and model of camera/lens you used to take your photo's. I often have to take macro shots and use an old Nikon Coolpix 4500 currently and it does a good job but at maybe 15 years old it's probably nearing the end but it has a great macro mode and I really like the swivel body and will keep it till the end.

A Conservative Approach to Wealth Management

All of the strategies of buying stocks, gold, etc. look like gambling to me and I don't gamble. The run up in the price of gold is based on the same kind of irrational exuberance that drove up home prices over the past several decades. Gold has some intrinsic value due to it's usefulness in electronics. The current price of gold reminds me of the time when a single tulip bulb would buy a house. As has already been said on this thread, you have made no profit until you sell. If you wait to long to sell you eventually run into either the pyramid scheme ceiling (no one can buy at the asking price) or to a loss in faith (as with the recent housing market fiasco) and the price drops rapidly, wiping out your capital investment along with your supposed profits.

For many years, my X-wife badgered me about my conservative ways with money. While she and her new guy were investing heavily in the stock market, I was building up my bank accounts with my earnings. I also conservatively bought a home with a mortgage well within the combined incomes of me and my current wife.

So, when the world economy went into the dumps and my wife lost her job, we just sold our home at a profit, moved into an inexpensive rental and waited for home prices to drop to where we could buy one that we could afford on my retirement income alone.

The result is that we are just closing a deal on a nice home that easily fits within my retirement income. My wife has returned to work part time and we are quite comfortable. Mean while, my X has lost a bundle. At our age (mid 60s) I doubt she will ever recover.

That's my story and my opinion.

TomD,

if you don't mind sharing I would love to know what make and model of camera/lens you used to take your photo's. I often have to take macro shots and use an old Nikon Coolpix 4500 currently and it does a good job but at maybe 15 years old it's probably nearing the end but it has a great macro mode and I really like the swivel body and will keep it till the end.

You have what you need already. All of the pictures I have posted on this site, RFC, Disableds Riders, etc. were taken with an old Nikon Coolpix 995 (3.3 megapix). By stabilizing it with a tripod I get sufficient resolution to show detail as fine as any I ever got with my old expensive roll film cameras, back in the day when I imagined myself to be a hot shot photographer. I don't even need to dip my fingers into poisons to make great prints. It is the tripod that makes all the difference. Nearly all of the fuzzyness in most people's pictures is induced by the same thing that ruins our 5-shot groups. It is not the equipment. It our hands.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input on cameras maybe mine will keep going for a while longer.

I also learned from my parents/grandparents the pitfalls of not investing aggressively enough during your younger years as inflation is insidious and destroys money over the mid to long term so there has to be a balance and knowing when to play and when to hold is the most important part.
Grandpa's copper nickels don't buy bread any more and all the old money he had saved was taken away like Bernanke said via inflation. Dad's heart attack (with complications) just cost $465,000. and counting and all those $20. bills he saved years ago from working nights were all rendered almost worthless by the printers but the Krugerands he bought for $200. an ounce back then help make up for the loss.

Jackie,
Your admission that your '06 beat you up made me smile, not because I wish you ill, but because I have read so many nostalgic accounts of the virtues of the caliber that ignore the simple fact that there are many less punishing cartridges that do most of what the cartridge usually used for just as effectively. The most extreme example of this sort of thing happened to a friend of mine, who after reading one too many magazine pieces about the virtues of that grand old cartridge, the .45-70, went out and bought a new reproduction lever action in that caliber, complete with steel crescent butt plate, and a couple of boxes of jacketed ammunition. After he returned from the range, with a thoroughly bruised shoulder, it was reduced to a conversation piece, went into his gun safe, and I never heard of his shooting it again. All of this is why, when I assist my friends with working up loads for substantial hunting calibers, it is with the understanding that they will do the shooting, and I the loading. One such friend has developed a serious attachment for my PAST, strap on magnum recoil shield. I must admit I let him suffer from his own bravado for a couple of range sessions before I brought it along. It really brightened up his day. Put a muzzle brake on that barrel. one with a enlarged internal chamber between the muzzle and the front baffle. With plugs and muffs, nothing will hurt, especially if you strap on a recoil pad to go with it. For range work, you really don't need your scope's full field of view.
Boyd

Last edited:
Investors brace

Irrespective of how anyone has invested are you all set for the next recession that according to the experts is inevitable and just over the horizon. It will be interesting to see how many people throughout the world can ride this one out.
Andy.

The Golden Rule= He who has the gold rules.

Rockefellers and Kissassinger cleaned out Ft Knox in the 70s and blamed most of the problems on the Hunt brothers.

People don't read books or want to learn facts any more. That's why were in this mess.

Herman Cain just said "Stupid people are running the country". But stupid people elected them.

Like Jesse Ventura says on t.v. : "you won't believe what you don't know" Lol.............

I'm with Mickey on this one! I've been buyin' up "Little Debbies" right and left. That's only half my plan. The other part is where I partner with Jenny Craig just days before the crash...

You may ask...."Whatcha gonna do when them Debbies get old?" To that I would reply...."What's old to a Little Debbie?"

Blue Hill, ME high school has an over 50 year old Hostess Twinkie in the chem lab. The preservatives in the cake have kept it virtually unchanged...no mold, mildew or deterioration. Just a bit dried out looking but full recognizable. Think twice next time you reach for a twinkie !! :) jmho

Blue Hill, ME high school has an over 50 year old Hostess Twinkie in the chem lab. The preservatives in the cake have kept it virtually unchanged...no mold, mildew or deterioration. Just a bit dried out looking but full recognizable. Think twice next time you reach for a twinkie !! :) jmho

Why the knee-jerk assumption that preservatives are bad?

Also, there are hundreds of these http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

;)

We tend to believe what the "professionals" in our culture feed us..... do any of you ever wonder WHY these benevolent protectors seem to care so very-very much?

(hint, their kids need shoes too)

LOL

al

Take what you want, ponzi what you think you can... is all the above a futile attempt to thwart destiny?
I never quote scripture but something has stuck in my head I remember from my grandma:
“Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth” (Matthew 5:5).

One day will a can of pork and beans be worth more than a pound of gold?
It is a man's nature to try and and stop this verse but can it be done? .... joe

Back