New Digital headspace gauge

Read My Website ...

Clark .....

The small aluminum plate (adjustable V-block) weighs less than 100 grains with the screws attached. It's secured by a hardened cap head screw, and it's threaded into the Stainless steel gauge stem. Obviously it's secure.

The specific datum line is not relative to any go-gauge, it's based on how YOUR handloads fit in YOUR particular chamber. Keep in mind this a NEW way to do things. This information comes from comparing your handloads to one of your fired cases at the shoulder. The difference = YOUR chamber clearance. Your die height is quick and easy to adjust accurately when you measure it this way.

There's nothing "tipsy" about the base. Just compare it to the blade of your calipers . . . . which one has a wider support platform? Holding the case flat makes these readings easier to measure.

If you read my website you'll see the operating instructions . . . . complete with a supporting picture.

Maybe this will help. http://www.larrywillis.com/instructions2.html

- Innovative

Thanks Larry,
I see now that the spindle is attached to the V block.
Somehow, I mistakenly thought that the gauge head was just touching the V block.

Dial%20Indicator.jpg

09-175-l.jpg

I have one of these, and the gauge head just touches the bullet.

Close Up View ....

Clark .....

Sinclair makes an excellent case runout gauge. Our Digital Headspace Gauge uses a ball tip screw that defines a location on the case shoulder. That screw adjusts 3 contacts points so they're always 121.6 degrees apart. Then you measure from that location back to the base and zero the gauge.

After that you insert one of your handloads, and our gauge displays the clearance (at the shoulder) that YOUR handloads have in YOUR particular chamber. Here's an enlarged view of the adjustable V-block. Hope this helps.

dhsgcloseup.jpg
- Innovative

Clark, a suggestion, you need a shorter spindle or a taller post or an off set (riser) adjuster/holder bracket for taller cases and a base that is flat and perpendicular to the post, when no expense is spared the post is .999 in diameter, after that you can make your own a-dap-ter. a-dap-ters or a kit of adapters without the off set v gap plate like the one on the bottom of the his comparator.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=625-8525&PMPXNO=949835&PARTPG=INLMK3

I have asked RCBS to send paper work for submitting designs for tools in reloading, I also asked Wilson Gage co why when I do a search for their gages and instructions I get an add for the case comparator made by Innovative telling me why the Wilson gage is a so/so gage that is close but not accurate.

and I told Innovative I can measure and duplicat any measurment he gets with his compartor with the use of a wilson case gage, a set up table and a feeler gage, for those without a set up tables the same measurments can be obtained with the Wilson ase gage, a straight edge and a feeler gage.

I guess I will take some time off from helping and making suggestions to competing for business on the forums.

A machenest, shooter, reloader, friend in California informed me of the difficulty he is having obtaining components and then he informed me he was laid off along with 35 other workers-before Christmas? If he has access to equipment, who knows?

F. Guffey

Vibe ....

That's what happens when I answer a jillion questions on a forum while I'm on the phone with customers. Of course, you're right. (My error, it's really 120 degrees.) Hey I'm just a one man company . . . . gimme a break.

I do the patents, mechanical drawings, PR and marketing, tech support, shipping, supervise 2 machine shops, quality control, logistics and tons of misc. paperwork. If our economy keeps getting screwed(and I bet it will) we'll all be one man companies. God help us all!

- Innovative

Last edited by a moderator:
Vibe ....

That's what happens when I answer a jillion questions on a forum while I'm on the phone with customers. Of course, you're right. (My error, it's really 120 degrees.) Hey I'm just a one man company . . . . gimme a break.
Done. no prob. I figured that there was a reason behind it. :D

I do the patents, mechanical drawings, PR and marketing, tech support, shipping, supervise 2 machine shops, quality control, logistics and tons of misc. paperwork. If our economy keeps getting screwed(and I bet it will) we'll all be one man companies. God help us all!

- Innovative
Well at least then I can carry at work. Probably the only good point.

F. Guffey ......

Don't forget to make your adjustable V-block out of 6061 T6 aluminum (like ours), and be sure to get it plated so it won't oxidize - otherwise unfinished aluminum will soon look like crap. The adjustment screws should be large enough to operate easily, and they should be as lightweight as possible. (Plastic knobs are a good choice.) All machine work should be perfectly square and crisp with a perfect finish (like ours). Let me know what it costs you to do make just one unit. (Don't forget to add something for your time and minimum shop charges.) If you decide to go into business making them, remember that a production run will cost you at least $35k ..... not to mention my patent fee.

Does anyone remember the "original post" from Overbore? He's one of the shooters on this forum with actual "hands on experience" using our Digital Headspace Gauge. I just thought I'd get his post back on track.

- Innovative

Larry, forgive, It was not my intentions to confuse you. You patented the comparator post stand? You patterned the dial indicator? The comparator post stand is not necessary, there are at least 3 ways a tool can be made/designed that would duplicate(or improve on the results) the results of the Sinclair/Hornady, Wilson etc, case comparators without a comparator post stand and is/would be faster and made with fewer parts, not one of the three designs would measure head space, that would set any tool that is a case comparator apart from your head space gage.

F. Guffey

F Guffey .......

Hey, I thought you liked your feeler gauge method better ..... what changed your mind?

Good luck Guffey.
I'd like to see you become rich making "Guffey's Gizmo". Shooters should probably wait until they see your cheaper and better model . . . . yeah.

Until then, this is our Digital Headspace Gauge

headspaceBC400.JPG

At this time, they're available from my website at WWW.LARRYWILLIS.COM
Visit our website, and you'll also see 125 pages of shooting reloading tech tips, product reviews, articles about shooting, famous quotes, even some interesting videos about General Patton and Obama.

- Innovative

Larry Willis, you've announced your product and described it. About time to stop. There is a policy of not promoting products on BR Central. We've been through this. If it is of interest to the BR community, it is fine to announce & describe a product on the BR Central forums, but no further promotion.

Charles E. and for my part in this I must ask all to forgive, I will include myself in the stop and decease issued to Larry Wilson.

F. Guffey

Pablo "I do not provoke"

I agree with Butch

Using the "feel" method of checking the amount of shoulder bump is not only guessing, it is foolish.

I think Tony Boyer has stated many times that the first thing he would discover about many shooters who attended his school was most were bumping the shoulder WAY too much, because they did not know how to properly determine the correct dimensions. They just kept screwing the die down untill the bolt closed with ease...

Butch, I think you know a shooter who was actually pushing his shoulders back as much as .008, because other factors were influencing the "feel".......jackie

Please splain the use of the information that comes from this thing. Thanks.
Well that's easy. It's called Quality Control. Where I work we use a very similar set up constantly, on several (if not most) of the production processes making electrical/ electronic conectors. Our set ups use digital gages similar to the one shown accurate to 0.0005" - the "master" units have tighter precision, but are more costly as well, so I'm just talking about the "production" floor gages. Our set ups have at least a 1" dia "post" and a granite block base - but they are for use with part holding fixtures of many differing shapes and sizes. What has been produced here is simply a way to accurately compare the shoulder location of a reloaded round to the shoulder position of a fired case - repeatably - every time.

Use any technique you like, but like Jackie said, it's foolish to "feel" or guess at shoulder clearance. In some situations it's downright dangerous.

Butch ........

I have also seen cases that needed only the lower body resized. Shooters forget that their cases are tapered. What often happens is they try to fix the problem by bumping their shoulder back WAY too far, and they experience headspace separations.

- Innovative

A good friend was giving me a a bad time about my insistance on measuring shoulder bump. He said that he didn't think it necessarry. (BTW he does his own barreling etc.) I challenged him to pick one of his match chambered rifles and set the bump by feel four times in a row, starting from scratch. For step two, I had him bring the cases over to my house, where we measured them all, and compared them to an unsized case. End or argument. They were bumped too much, and all over the place. Sort of reminds me of the guys that post on the board that they don't need wind flags, because they only test when there is no wind. About that , I believe that Wilbur observed that it is amazing how the mere act of putting up wind flags makes the wind start to blow. ( or words to that effect)

Back