New Digital headspace gauge

"What forums??? Any forum "discussing " measurements of .0002 on brass case heads is out to lunch. And what would .0002 do? What's the significance of the measurement of ".0002".... in fact, how would you measure that?? I know about 4 people on this earth qualified to "measure" to this spec and all of them would ask "measure to WHAT?" BTW I've got competitive rounds that have been fired 15 times and show about .002-.003 of expansion and they've stopped moving. I'll probably fire them 30-50 more times before I throw them away"

"I've got competitive rounds that have been fired 15 times and show about .002-.003"

.0002 X 15 = .003 thousands

Stretch or flow, I have never seen a case removed from a chamber with skid marks.

F. Guffey

you put the fireformed case in this ,dial it then adjust your reloading die so you have the same reading on your resized handload case and you are good to go
Is this correct ?
Is it only used it with your FL die ? and what about using it with the neck die ?

Jason .....

That's pretty close, but I'll change a few or your words to make it a bit more clear.

You can use the Digital Headspace Gauge to measure chamber clearance (at the shoulder) that your FL or NK resized cases have in your particular chamber.

Start by positioning your fireformed case in the gauge, and then press the zero button to calibrate the gauge. Then replace the fireformed case with one of your resized cases. The gauge then displays the clearance (at the shoulder) that your resized case has in your particular chamber. Then you'll know how much to adjust your resizing die, so that your next resized case will display -.001" to -.002" when you measure it. Then you're good to go.

It's best to use a FL die, because a NK die occasionally requires the use of a bump die to push the shoulder back. I prefer to use the FL die, and get it done in one operation - with one die - while everything is aligned in the die. Using the FL die also gives ALL of your handloads the same chamber clearance (at the shoulder), because the case shoulder always gets bumped.

- Innovative

F. Guff,
I'm sure you are confident in what you post. What kind of education and training do you have that would lead me to believe what you are talking about?
I believe it would help if you used a little less holier than thou attitude when you post.
I'm not saying you are wrong,but I have some reservations.
Butch

Jason .....

That's pretty close, but I'll change a few or your words to make it a bit more clear.

You can use the Digital Headspace Gauge to measure chamber clearance (at the shoulder) that your FL or NK resized cases have in your particular chamber.

Start by positioning your fireformed case in the gauge, and then press the zero button to calibrate the gauge. Then replace the fireformed case with one of your resized cases. The gauge then displays the clearance (at the shoulder) that your resized case has in your particular chamber. Then you'll know how much to adjust your resizing die, so that your next resized case will display -.001" to -.002" when you measure it. Then you're good to go.

It's best to use a FL die, because a NK die occasionally requires the use of a bump die to push the shoulder back. I prefer to use the FL die, and get it done in one operation - with one die - while everything is aligned in the die. Using the FL die also gives ALL of your handloads the same chamber clearance (at the shoulder), because the case shoulder always gets bumped.

- Innovative

thanks
Ordered one last night , shipped to Australia

"What forums??? Any forum "discussing " measurements of .0002 on brass case heads is out to lunch. And what would .0002 do? What's the significance of the measurement of ".0002".... in fact, how would you measure that?? I know about 4 people on this earth qualified to "measure" to this spec and all of them would ask "measure to WHAT?" BTW I've got competitive rounds that have been fired 15 times and show about .002-.003 of expansion and they've stopped moving. I'll probably fire them 30-50 more times before I throw them away"

"I've got competitive rounds that have been fired 15 times and show about .002-.003"

.0002 X 15 = .003 thousands

Stretch or flow, I have never seen a case removed from a chamber with skid marks.

F. Guffey

LOLOL!!!

precious!

I've seen some Duck-N-Covers in my time....... played the same card before even :D ............ But let me assure you that the .002-.003 of expansion occurred in the first TWO or THREE firings, and after that she don't move A'tall.

They POP out once, then maybe a skosh more for a firing or two..... and they STOP moving. Unless I'm running too close to the edge and let temps get away from me and over-pressure a round or two.... but again, when this happens I go from OK to "loose primers" in one k'BOOM. And throw the brass away.

Point is, the difference between tight and loose primers is easily measured. Like more in the neighborhood of .005, you can use a tape measure.

I've seen many cases removed with skid marks. In fact shiny moons, swirls or scuffs are one of the very first things beginning reloaders are told to look for. A very common sign of high pressure is the "Remington 700 half-moon" which occurs when a high enough pressure is reached that the casehead material actually shears and a plug is extruded into the ejector cut. This plug is then shaved off by the rotation of the bolt and the resultant scuff is easy to see. But this still ain't "flow"...... unless the descriptor can be used for operations like punch pressing steel plate stock.

al

Back