Laser for setting flags

Two items of note;

Glasses "polarized" or filtered to block laser light are available for under ten bucks

And as far as I know the reason for not shining at planes is because they're laser guided. The come in riding on and responding to laser signals. Throwing random laser light around the underside of the plane is kinda' like injecting stray electricity into an electrical system.

I don't believe for one minute that it has any chance of blinding a pilot.

al

That's what I thought. It's a control freak thing.
Or night vision thing......
Tim B.

Last edited:
Zippy are you serious about eh bullets?
That realllly sucks and should get old Jerry S going on another good post. Though I think it would make for another great post if you are serious.
Hey register them all to me at least only one of us will go down...hehehe

When it hit me I was on about the 40-50 yard line in a low spot.

Vern. You would not believe some of the stuff, people say up here. And they believe it.
The Lib....dnc crap. Is amazing.

And NO you can't have any. Make your own.

Oh yea. That was pretty close. 40-50 y.
OOOkkkaaayyy. I understand now.
Sorry for being a jerk.
Tim B.

Last edited:
Zippy are you serious about eh bullets?
That realllly sucks and should get old Jerry S going on another good post. Though I think it would make for another great post if you are serious.
Hey register them all to me at least only one of us will go down...hehehe

When it hit me I was on about the 40-50 yard line in a low spot.

Who's Jerry S ????
Tim B.

Last edited:
Jerry Sharret.
He had a post going about the patriot act. I was deleted.
So he reposted. One of the links I sent, the charges were filed under the patriot act.

Buy a cheap $5.00 laser pointer and shine it in your eye/eyes at 100 yards then let us know what you find, why work on conjecture and opinions when it's so easy to test for yourself? I found it would leave a floating spot for a few minutes even at 200 yards. But that was 10 years ago, maybe things have changed.
Fast forward to 2011 and my eye doctor said I now need cataract surgery in my right eye, I told him of a welding accident I had 20 years earlier and asked if that could have caused my condition, he said he had an 18 year old welder that had cataracts just as bad in both eyes. Point is, a bright light in the eyes can be slow in showing damage even if it's just a one time milli second accident, don't screw around with your eyes, it sucks being half blind.

Vern. You would not believe some of the stuff, people say up here. And they believe it.
The Lib....dnc crap. Is amazing.

And NO you can't have any. Make your own.

Oh yea. That was pretty close. 40-50 y.
OOOkkkaaayyy. I understand now.
Sorry for being a jerk.
Tim B.

Not a problem Tim. But you make a good point for a post I did a year or so ago and am thinking about redoing.
That being we need more posts based on fact not opinion.
WE all have our opinions and we sometimes forget to look at the facts.
You know what they say about opinions, they are like bodily orifices. Everyone has at least one and some people are one.
Not directed at you but many of us at times including myself i am sure.
We might learn more and eliminate some of the wives tales and superstitions in our sport if we had more hard evidence.

Other than a discoloring issue are there any reported situations that state vision damage?

When a bananna discolors it is becoming rotten. When the pigmented layer(visual layer) in your retina discolors, it is becoming rotten.
Last sentence in your quoted post(Study of the eye tissue under a microscope also confirmed DAMAGE to the pigment layer in the laser-exposed regions.);)

Al are you suggesting that all people down range setting up flags should be required to purchase polarized glasses because someone might be using a laser?
Maybe you should google instead of just giving your opinion.

BAD INFORMATION!!!! I'VE BEEN CONVINCED THAT PEOPLE ARE USING LASERS OF ADEQUATE POWER TO DESTROY HUMAN TISSUE......

i'M LEAVING THE POST ENTIRE IN THE INTEREST OF CONTINUITY.

No. but I still can't really see the problem. I work with lasers, they won't harm your eyes is the point. If I was worried about it I'd wear the glasses at work.

All this stuff about dazzling small craft pilots is kinda' off topic from my perspective..... I was thinking of airliners when I wrote my post about lasers incapacitating a plane. On the subject of dazzling pilots this problem was even bigger back when the Q-beam hand-held spotlights first came out. Yes bright lights can dazzle a pilot. And I use the term "dazzle" advisedly, in this day of cigarettes and alcohol being "diseases" and junk science giving credibility to all sorts of medical pseudomaladies from ADD to "Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome" I guess it's probably OK to lump "dazzle" in with "blind."

I'm sure that once a person's been "blinded" by a laser beam he's then eligible for money from the rest of us....

these days

al

Last edited:
How do you use a laser to set flags without running the risk of looking straight back at it & frying your retina?
Regards, Ron

I'm the guy that brought up the safety aspect in post #4. My point was: Why run the risk - eye sight is too valuable. It's not just the laser - the eye focuses the image in the retina. Ever burn ants with sunlight & a magnifying glass as a kid?

I work with 100mw red lasers (and mirrors) which are not "safe" without special glasses. My glasses block ALL red light, not just some of it & I wouldn't think of not wearing them, OSHA or not.

For consumer devises, the limit is 5mw, and they should all say something like, "DANGER Avoid direct contact". What about that is hard to understand?

Regards,
Ron

Buy a cheap $5.00 laser pointer and shine it in your eye/eyes at 100 yards then let us know what you find, why work on conjecture and opinions when it's so easy to test for yourself? I found it would leave a floating spot for a few minutes even at 200 yards. But that was 10 years ago, maybe things have changed.
Fast forward to 2011 and my eye doctor said I now need cataract surgery in my right eye, I told him of a welding accident I had 20 years earlier and asked if that could have caused my condition, he said he had an 18 year old welder that had cataracts just as bad in both eyes. Point is, a bright light in the eyes can be slow in showing damage even if it's just a one time milli second accident, don't screw around with your eyes, it sucks being half blind.

Charlie I've been a glaucoma suspect my entire adult life. The eye pressures have remained untreated because the battery of tests I go through have shown no damage has been done to my vision at this point. I use laser alignment equipment at work and have used a laser to set my flags the past two season. I've zapped myself a couple of times accidently with a green laser (WARNING... do not point the laser at a white wall. it's BRIGHT!!! ) and haven't experienced any side effects. I'm gonna bounce this laser issue off my Ophthalmologists my next visit...

I just got off the phone with someone who uses a green laser to set flags. He has rigged a remote to the laser, and he only turns it on when he can see who might be in, or approaching his lane, in other words, when he is looking back toward the bench. I think that this is a good idea. That way one could actively prevent another shooter from being accidentally flashed.

Hi Al, Ophthalmologists, that was the word I had no idea how to spell, but eye doctor I could handle. There are also a lot of different ways describe "law suit", but "HELL" is what I call it. Your Ophthalmologist better say it's perfectly safe to look into a laser or your risking "HELL" and losing everything. I know of one BR shooter that would sue you in a second if he got "zapped", ---it's the way he lives large.
Anyway, I shouldn't have posted anything from the start, you guys will sort it all out.
I hope you eyes stay strong!
Charlie

You guys with the those "cool green lasers" have it when you are shooting alone but I firmly feel that at Benchrest matches they should not be allowed. Come on guys, setting flags is not rocket science, shouting, waving arms, radios, phones etc. all allow flags to be set accurately without any potential danger to others on the range. In my mind none of the links or anecdotal evidence prove or disprove whether these things are potentially dangerous or not but why put others in possible danger when it is absoulutely not necessary, it just seem selfish and uncaring to me. The suggestions that all competitors either wear saftey glasses while setting flags, look out for benches with lasers set up, or just not look up except in our own shooting lane, are ludicrous to the point of being laughable.

What do you advocates suggest for the range crew while they are working down range which they will almost invarialbly be doing while flags are being set up? Answer that.

I do have one suggestion for laser users at matches, you can set you flags after dark when every one else is off the range, those little green light would look cool then.

Francis, Your the best Damn Yankee I ever met. If every Yankee was as smart as you, I might actually listen to "the way we do it up north" speech. lol Are you going to Dublin? I'll buy dinner.
Charlie

I will offer one thought.
IF lasers have no effect on your eyes why do all lasers have warnings not to point them at the eye or look into them?
Al do us a favor. Make a video of you shining a laser directly into your eye for 5secs and then 5 min and let us see the effects for ourself, that is since you think there is NO danger. Put your laser where you eye is, sort of like putting your money where your mouth is.

Last edited:
No. but I still can't really see the problem. I work with lasers, they won't harm your eyes is the point. If I was worried about it I'd wear the glasses at work.

All this stuff about dazzling small craft pilots is kinda' off topic from my perspective..... I was thinking of airliners when I wrote my post about lasers incapacitating a plane. On the subject of dazzling pilots this problem was even bigger back when the Q-beam hand-held spotlights first came out. Yes bright lights can dazzle a pilot. And I use the term "dazzle" advisedly, in this day of cigarettes and alcohol being "diseases" and junk science giving credibility to all sorts of medical pseudomaladies from ADD to "Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome" I guess it's probably OK to lump "dazzle" in with "blind."

I'm sure that once a person's been "blinded" by a laser beam he's then eligible for money from the rest of us....

these days

al

Since I'm the one who bought the "blind pilots" into the discussion, I was a skeptic of how this tiny laser could be capable of blinding a pilot hundreds of yards away. Apparently, it actually creates real havoc , yes even on the jumbos, because the beam gets wider with distance and when it strikes the windshield it actually causes it to glow BRIGHT GREEN. There's a website that shows a picture from the jets cockpit while "under pen-laser attack" and the windshield is brighter than the Vegas Strip, it affects equally the co-pilot.
Back to relevence: Aside from the possible permanent harm to someones eyes, using a laser may jeopordize another shooters performance for that match, through no fault of his own. Put yourself in Verns shoes. How would you have re-acted? Should it happen at a tournament? Well, maybe that's when it will finally be addressed by the Organizations.

Francis, Well, I was thinking baby back ribs, but on the way down, I'll be on the look out, pretty sure I can score a possum on the half shell, it's just difficult to find the "sell by" date on road kill. But Cheryl is pretty good with the nose test, if it passes, we'll throw in the cooler.
Man! I hope ya'll can make!
Charlie

Dwight a couple of things...

I belong to three gun clubs, shoot at another four plus a military installation. All of them REQUIRE saftey glasses be used while on the range.

My situation, I show up at the range an hour before the "official" time to open the gate. Then my counterpart and I clean up the range making it presentable. I then head downrange to hang target numbers and if need be replace shot-out target boards. From there I unload my gear, get the range house set up for the days match. We get the paperwork situated, draw bench assignments for those who are pre-registered and then get the computer and printer hooked up and running. I then set up my gear on the bench I was assigened. From there it's time to set my flags... using one of those dreaded lasers. There's only two of us at the range, my partner is tied up prepairing for registration. People start arriving at 8:00, I try to have my flags set by 8:30. Then it's to the range house to enter the competitors data into the computer and take care of all the other "stuff" a match director has to deal with. Between shooting, cleaning, entering data and printing out preliminary reaults after each match I also act as RO calling matches. After the match I compile the data, print out match results (hopefully correct the first try...) and then do the awards ceremony. Then it's time to pack all my gear (shooting and computer equipment) back into my truck and make a sweep of the range one last time making sure we leave it in better condition than it was in when we arrived. I'm usually the last one out of the gate..........

If I fall under your definition of selfish, your killing me here... :)

Please feel free to ease my workload so I have time to socialize while setting flags. I could use a break......

Back