Has anyone seen this?

Anyone think it will take more that threads centering the two pieces to maintain the required alignment? True, the opposing 60* threads are pretty good at centering, but I think there is still room for error. I think there would probably need to be some form of a boss or two with a very close slip fit, if not a slight interference fit on the connection. I mean, if this is going to be straighter than a chamber cut with a single form tool, these two parts pretty much need to align better than dead nuts.

I would make the adapter fit with as close of a thread as feasibly practical. I would also machine it from some high strength alloy steel, such as 4140 at around 38 RC, maybe even a 1 1/2 inch grade a bolt body. I have some left over 4340 pieces that we made some body fit bolts out of. I think we had it heat treated to 36 RC.

This would offer an anti- gall qualityty the assembly.

One thing I figure Wolf is doing is single point cutting the lead in the barrel with CNC. It would be easy and repeatable with the correct setup.

Since I do not own a CNC setup, I figure to Chuck the barrel up in the regular fashion and indicate that first 1/2 inch dead true, then using a tight bushing on the reamer, establish the lead and throat length with my regular reamer, being careful to run it in the exact, and repeatable distance.

I would rely on the properly fit threads to aligned everything.

Yea some come and go because of *ssholes like you that take the time to hunt people down across three platforms/forums to post negative stuff about people, businesses or product you know nothing about. You did this Long before I posted anything on here or anywhere else. Speaks a lot about you and your character. People like you like to run around and knock other peoples idea's down. I guess it's just easier than trying to come up with some of your own. Good ridden to you and best of luck. After your posts I reached out to you via email nicely and even offered to talk with you by phone to answer any of your questions. You're too busy for that but you're not too busy to continue to post your nonsense.

Go find someone else to troll or bother.

Jamie Dodson
Wolf Precision, Inc.

Young feller, I'll not bother you further. I will revisit your website in 2025 and see where you happen to be.

Before...

Jamie, before you move on may I make a suggestion? Try and get your product in the hands of a truly experienced shooter who would be willing to test it out and report back...on this forum. For instance, I shoot short range BR; See if there would be anyone willing, again an experienced shooter, who would test out your product in a proven 6ppc chamber and let them test it out...proof is in the pudding. Let them post load development and group size.... What would even be better is if they would be willing to shoot it in a registered match. There is nothing like the crucible of competition to prove a way of doing something. I'm sure there would be some takers. Anyway...Thanks. Durward

See, the difference is, I DID IT.

So I can answer that question,

but I won't.......

Maybe it's just the way you wright, but you always come off as people are doubting, challenging or arguing with you. I honestly didn't see that in this thread. If it was here, it wasn't from me.

Maybe it's just the way you wright, but you always come off as people are doubting, challenging or arguing with you. I honestly didn't see that in this thread. If it was here, it wasn't from me.

I'm more sticking up for the OP than trying to argue with you.... I'm simply saying HE DID IT!!

It may be hokey or

It may be a winner

BUT HE DID IT :)

And making assumptions about HOW he did it is where we part ways. I got the impression you were making the assumption that the guy who's selling the product was relying on it centering in the threads.

I remember when Woody Woodall came all over this board touting "his" Lothar Walther barrels, swinging his Richard about and flogging everyone with his grandiose claims as how they were the bestest barrels and the winningest barrels and the longest lasting barrels and the smoothest barrels and the best TASTING barrels in all thee land....and always wrapping it all up in the Big Bow of "but BR guys are a cheap-ass, hard-headed, short-sighted bunch of stuck-in-the-mud's with their heads jammed so far up their collective or'fices they couldn't see daylite".....

so he got ummmm, severely castigated...

Point is, dude's TRYING something. but it ain't proven yet. I'll give him props for trying. If I had back all the money I've spent TRYING STUFF that FAILED......I could retire. I spent 6 MORE hours today wrapping up a hunnerds-of-dollers and dozens-of-hours project of making a bar scabbard for my chainsaw out of firehose ........... failed........again :)

IF the new system is still here in a few years and,

IF his claims are accurate and,

more to the point IF HE SHOWS IT!!!

Butch has seen it come and seen it go...... Butch has INVENTED and PIONEERED stuff that worked in the market....... and if the maker cain't stand the heat???

He'll just be quicker out of the kitchen.

Meantime.... all the maker has to do is

Prove It :)

(and quit gettin' his wee pannies in a wad)

Coming onto a Bench Rest Forum and claiming "accuracy" while pulling the Rumplestiltskin Act without targets is freakin' WEAK sauce.....

BTW..... aren't you the actual guy who CHALLENGED me about Gordying?? Aren't you specifically the guy who goaded me into starting a youtube channel by claiming that "only if you show an uninterrupted video" etc etc "will I believe you?"

Is your picture in the dictionary under "disingenuous" or have I misremembered :) LOL!

First of all.... I LOVE a good stiff argument/discussion/go-round but Second of all, it's givin' AND gettin'....... with a SMILE :)

I’ve no idea how the maker is aligning the two parts, I am expecting it is more than a threaded joint.

And to be completely fair, the maker didn’t come here marking claims, he was pretty much brought here.

BTW..... aren't you the actual guy who CHALLENGED me about Gordying?? Aren't you specifically the guy who goaded me into starting a youtube channel by claiming that "only if you show an uninterrupted video" etc etc "will I believe you?"

Is your picture in the dictionary under "disingenuous" or have I misremembered :) LOL!

First of all.... I LOVE a good stiff argument/discussion/go-round but Second of all, it's givin' AND gettin'....... with a SMILE :)

I did ask questions and I did ask for the uninterrupted video. It had nothing to do with the “Gordy method” though. I think you assumed I had a problem with it, which I never said I did. I actually got really into your video series, then after a couple, they got renamed and I lost track of where I was. You’ve obviously proven your method. I think many read stuff on the internet, take it as gospel, and then make big claims about runout into the low tenths, but have zero way of verifying such claims.
I honestly don’t think I ever argued with you. Just asked questions.

I’ve no idea how the maker is aligning the two parts, I am expecting it is more than a threaded joint.

And to be completely fair, the maker didn’t come here marking claims, he was pretty much brought here.

OK.... but "to be completely fair"...... if someone brought my business here, or dragged my silly youtubery out into the open air...... or disputed any of my posts on other forums......

I certainly don't have to get involved.

Nope, I'll have to disagree on this one.... ;) .... he CHOSE to come in and present hisself the way he did/does/is/has.

And I'd love for him to stick around. I love for EVERYBODY to stick around. But a lot of folks are more interested in an agreement forum, a mutual chat-about, than in a DISCUSSION.

Simple fact; if everyone's in agreement then IT AIN'T A DISCUSSION!!

And I learned 50yrs ago that mutual ego-stroking (I actually prefer another, better term) is much more popular than discussion.

And learning.

:)

My problem is... I don't KNOW much, and I want to LEARN!

thanks for hangin' in there

I agree. Discussions aren’t much fun, nor educational, if they are held in a echo chamber.

I may be guilty of asking people (that I may agree with) why they do something a certain way, just to see if they really understand “why” they do it that way. There’s a lot of “I do it this way because the internet said that’s the way to do it”, without ever stoping to see if it actually makes sense.

Edit: to touch on your last line, never stop learning!

I got a little carried away so I just made a pdf.

Correct me if I'm wrong but......if I'm hearing correctly, you make barrels.

Correct?

I'm guessing you are E Arthur Brown Company?

And the main thing you seem to be saying is that while you can and do drill a straight hole, you can't put the barrel into a stress-free hold to contour...

Correct?

Thank you for coming in as a mfgr, this should get interesting!

Correct?

And the main thing you seem to be saying is that while you can and do drill a straight hole, you can't put the barrel into a stress-free hold to contour...

Correct?

Not the same company Al

Correct?

Correct?

Work piece deflection, even with the follow rest. He's making possibly the best barrels I've ever seen and the straightest, for what that's worth. American Barrel Company(ABC)

Last edited:
I'm not your pal, and if you're not at least using spyders I guarantee your throats are not running anywhere close to .001 let alone the .00003 to .00005. If you are running a reamer into the barrel, then you know or you don't know about the curvature. Choosing not to know is up to you. Denying it exists and its problem has been the problem for 80 yers. We now have a way to deal with it reliably and predictably. Making the best of an imperfect product (the barrel) and things we don't have control over. In making a barrel, you cannot drill a perfectly straight hole, so how is your straight reamer cutting a straight throat several inches deep in a barrel that has curvature to the bore. It is imposable, the best technique to address it up to this point was spyders. The ACE is taking it to another lever. Still not perfect, but predictable and more reliable than using 1880's technology. And please spare me any the nostalgia.

Jamie Dodson
Wolf Precision

A steering wheel is 1880’s technology, but nobody has come up with anything better. It’s technically perfected. As others have mentioned, it’s not difficult to measure runout of the chamber/throat. I know what my setup capabilities are, and what I end up with. I check my work. I found your video offensive, when you made the statement claiming poor machine tolerances in custom rifles. That is not true, sorry. I have taken a few barrels off custom rifles and found issues with the chambers, but generally, custom rifle chambers are really good.

American Barrel Co., Heard great things about his barrels and unless things have changed-a one man shop and a button barrel. Anthony Kiefer is the man. 812-614-9517

What I was trying to say is that if a barrel is not properly contoured that it will exhibit a bow.

Is someone drilled a hole with a laser and if it is not properly contoured then in will appear to be a bowed barrel even though the hole was laser straight. Even with a hydraulic steady rest running across from the tool it can still deflect.

I got a little long so I just made a pdf.

I respectfully disagree.

Everybody keeps saying “bowed”. You can plainly see by the barrel I section, the ID was not “bowed”, it was flat out crooked with it’s own self in random spots.

I do agree 100% with you analysis of modern deep hole during techniques. Counter rotating drills with new designs in cutter profiles has improved the process emmensly.

Last edited:
What I was trying to say is that if a barrel is not properly contoured that it will exhibit a bow.

Is someone drilled a hole with a laser and if it is not properly contoured then in will appear to be a bowed barrel even though the hole was laser straight. Even with a hydraulic steady rest running across from the tool it can still deflect.

I got a little long so I just made a pdf.

Thanks! That's a very interesting observation.

GsT

Interesting conversation I just recently re-barreled a rifle for a friend using Jackie's method for the first time. Also went back to check my work and right now it's been extremely more consistent than how I did them in the past. It is also something I would highly encourage for others to try at least once. And I also can't thank Jackie enough for his willingness to share what he has over the years.

Back