Has anyone seen this?

J&C check your email lemme know yea/nay

Thanks, Al, got it.

One thing that is of concern is erosion of the joint that is formed at the very end of the neck and the beginning of the barrel.

That particular spot is subjected to maximum pressure and heat of ignition. If the ACE adapter erodes there, the purpose of the chamber adapter is kind of defeated. Even a perfectly flat tight joint will in time be compromised, starting at the neck and working it’s way out.

There are materials, mainly high nickel/chromium Stainless Steels with the strength required that resist heat erosion, but machining them is a real pain. Inconclusive comes to mind,

I am going to read that entire text when I get home. A lot of it is written in “legalese”.

Last edited:
steenking googlesmart...lol.....you needa' turn that inconclusive, inconstant, inconsiderate, inconel-hatin' feature OFF!

The M2HB machine gun barrels have the joint between the chamber and stellite barrel liner at the base of the neck so that the brass seals it.

Article 4 years old. "Called" flyers. I've always called that a term used after a bad group. I guess that is kinda like the .152 group I had on the last target in New Braunfels a few years ago. I was working on a .180 teen agg. Last shot on the .152 group aided by a little shoulder made a .911 group. I went from first to 21st. Maybe I should have said it was a called flyer.
Chuckle chuckle

Article 4 years old. "Called" flyers. I've always called that a term used after a bad group. I guess that is kinda like the .152 group I had on the last target in New Braunfels a few years ago. I was working on a .180 teen agg. Last shot on the .152 group aided by a little shoulder made a .911 group. I went from first to 21st. Maybe I should have said it was a called flyer.
Chuckle chuckle

I meant to comment - I got a chuckle out of that as well - "The gun shoots great if you ignore the bad shots!". Still, that doesn't necessarily condemn the product - you just can't take a gunwriter's written word for anything.

GsT

I meant to comment - I got a chuckle out of that as well - "The gun shoots great if you ignore the bad shots!". Still, that doesn't necessarily condemn the product - you just can't take a gunwriter's written word for anything.

GsT

I looked at the cutaway in the article, I still see nothing to prevent erosion of the chamber end where it mates with the barrel.

I looked at some other drawings, there seems to be a captured seal ring added to the face of the barrel and the corresponding surface on the ACE. But that is to seal any gas that could leak past the joint.

I might be missing something obvious.

Last edited:
I want to do the barrel for this project, but I still cannot find out the means of stopping heat and pressure erosion at the end of the chamber neck where it meets the throat of the barrel.

Has anyone seen one of these in person? There has to be a way they are protecting this critical area.

Use brass for seal?

Why could the "ACE" not have only part of the chamber and cut throat and leade AND neck in barrel? That way the pressure would use the brass case wall to seal the joint?

Brad

ACE.jpg

Attachments

• ACE.jpg
    ACE.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Jackie, I am sure you already know this,In the patient it talks a lot about pressure ring #40 being compressed between the ACE chamber body #20
the barrel #30. If I remember correctly, NASA used the high heat rubber as a pressure seal until it got to cold and brittle.

Chet

Jackie, I am sure you already know this,In the patient it talks a lot about pressure ring #40 being compressed between the ACE chamber body #20
the barrel #30. If I remember correctly, NASA used the high heat rubber as a pressure seal until it got to cold and brittle.

Chet

Chet, from the patent drawing, that pressure ring is to insure no leakage past the face, threads, and out, as it appears well above the junction of the neck and chamber throat. Earlier drawings do not show this, nor does the cut away show it. Perhaps gas leakage was a problem in the beginning..

Why could the "ACE" not have only part of the chamber and cut throat and leade AND neck in barrel? That way the pressure would use the brass case wall to seal the joint?

Brad

View attachment 23545

That might be the solution. I thought about this, but wanted to keep the barrel portion as simple as possible. It would now have about 1/2 of the neck incorporated in the ACE, the other half in the barrel.

My concern is brass flowing into the joint.

I finished my “Permanent Chamber Change Barrel ThingaMagiggy”

I decided to use part of the neck as a chamber seal. I modified my pice to where 1/3 of the neck will be part of the permanent chamber, and 2/3 will be in the barrel.

I machined the barrel tenon to where it has a male fit that fits a female fit inside the adapter. The clearance is only .0005 inch. I machined all fits to very tight tolerances, to insure alignment. That is one reason I wanted to use Chrome Moly, (4140) at 38 RC to insure against galling.

The inside face distance and the shoulder are exactly the same distance. I placed some Prussian Blue on each and seated the piece hand tight to confirm the fit.

The pictures explain a lot. It will be easy to duplicate the barrel, which I suppose is the whole purpose of this gizmo.:cool: am going to shoot it tomorrow.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23556&stc=1&d=1588464862

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23557&stc=1&d=1588464915

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23558&stc=1&d=1588464967

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23559&stc=1&d=1588465039

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23560&stc=1&d=1588465119

The barrel is a new 13.5 twist Krieger I had.

Attachments

• B14940BA-4615-49E4-95A7-3CA646120491.jpeg
    B14940BA-4615-49E4-95A7-3CA646120491.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 505
  • 701B8FA3-0ED7-4DBE-93A5-54DD8ADE5F4D.jpeg
    701B8FA3-0ED7-4DBE-93A5-54DD8ADE5F4D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 433
  • 9B352757-D9E4-4B11-ADAC-8AFF1B066473.jpeg
    9B352757-D9E4-4B11-ADAC-8AFF1B066473.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 507
  • F51E83EC-CEC1-4CB8-8F13-EBD5E22D8E43.jpeg
    F51E83EC-CEC1-4CB8-8F13-EBD5E22D8E43.jpeg