Has anyone hunted wolves?

I have a border collie that can speak three languages and drive a car. She only weighs 40#s though. She might lick you to death if provoked however. :D

Seriously, I thought they were called "wildernesses" because they were wild. A pack of wolves in the neighborhood only helps you realize you're just another link in the food chain.

They Grow In The Bar After They Die

They killed a two year old female wolf by me that weigh 170 pounds we figure one of the males in the pack weigh over 200 pounds.there supose to have a hunting season this year on wolfs but i am not holding my breath.

There are no small bears or wolves. By the time the stories go round and round, 300 pound bears weigh at least 1,000 pounds and 100 pound wolves are 200+.

Over the last 30 years hundreds of wolves in Alaska were weighed in research projects. None was over 140 pounds. Adult males averaged about 110, females about 90.

Some men are 7+ feet tall and weigh 350+ pounds but they are very, very rare. Some wild animals are much bigger than average but they are very, very rare. Even the biggest, one-in-a-million wolf in Alaska doesn't weigh more than 175 pounds--at least not until the bar room stories start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big wolves Big bears..

The largest wolves I have ever heard of were in the 175-180 pound range. Most have been less than 125 lbs. I owned a 7/8 timber wolf and 1/8 malmute. He weighed 135 with a full winter coat. In the summer he weighed about 120 lbs after shedding 15 pounds of 4 inch hair. He actually had two layers of fur one layer was a wooly layer and the other was guard hair.

With his winter fur he could swim and his hair kept him boyant. He would float for hours waiting out beavers to kill. He also loved to kill groundhogs, and house cats.

Speaking of wild life studies I read a study of Grizzly bears in Alaska. They trapped or darted over 1500 grizzly bears and the adverage weight was about 450 lbs. The largest 2 or 3 went just over 1000 lbs but most were well under 600 lbs. The Brown Bear subspecies of grizzly bear runs about 200 lbs heavier than the inland counterpart due to its diet of fish.

One factor to consider all species grow larger the fasrther north they live in the northern hemisphere.

Nat Lambeth

Last edited:
Vicuanb i called the taxidermist to fine out what the wolf really weigh it weighed 134 pounds.And it was a male.Out of 20 wolfs that was the bigest one they have weighed so far.

I blew up the image as far as I can and found no artifacts that suggest photoshop.

My dog is nearly that big, he's a Bulgarian herd dog.

The animal in that picture is very large but Canadian Timberwolves have been recorded of about that size.

A security compamy in Florida used to have Timber Shepard wolf dog hybrids, they were at least that big. I stepped on the front paw of one that was under the desk at a service station I used to get gas at.
It was like stepping on a bear paw.
That particular dog later got his collar hung up on a garage door and choked to death.

I'm very curious, can you post some pictures of your dog please.
Thank you!

wolves in the wild...

I live in Oregon and it seems some wolves have either slipped in from Idaho, or some have hidden themselves well enough to still stay alive to this date. Now everyone that has a cat to a calf gone missing is blaming the wolf. I remember seeing a table filled with eagle talons at the rodeo in Cheyenne many years ago, and the people selling them swore that they were shot because they were carrying off lambs... I believe the same goes for wolves now. Wolves are a very secretive animal, and very smart...and have never stalked a human except in books. They are a wonderful creature and deserve our respect and to be left alone in the wilds. There are so few left, and they are a gift of understanding to be glimpsed rarely and with wonder. I believe the only animal that truly need shooting for its cruel murderous ways are the darker side of humans. Just the thought from an older man who has been on hunts before, for food and to survive.

Kinda off the subject but when I first moved to WV, any goober that couldn't road hunt and kill a deer blamed it on the state being over-run with coyotes.:confused:

I live in Oregon and it seems some wolves have either slipped in from Idaho, or some have hidden themselves well enough to still stay alive to this date. Now everyone that has a cat to a calf gone missing is blaming the wolf. I remember seeing a table filled with eagle talons at the rodeo in Cheyenne many years ago, and the people selling them swore that they were shot because they were carrying off lambs... I believe the same goes for wolves now. Wolves are a very secretive animal, and very smart...and have never stalked a human except in books. They are a wonderful creature and deserve our respect and to be left alone in the wilds. There are so few left, and they are a gift of understanding to be glimpsed rarely and with wonder. I believe the only animal that truly need shooting for its cruel murderous ways are the darker side of humans. Just the thought from an older man who has been on hunts before, for food and to survive.

You must look at what has been happening with the wolves up here in the north and question the popularly spewed old myths by the granola crunching pleeding bliss ninny bias of the media when it comes to todays wolf. Learn from our experience what will happen if you continue to protect them and not manage their populations once they become established. Contrary to popular belief the wolf is not endangered here and never has been. There are lots up here, so many that we will live trap them and give them away to anybody who wants them, thats how the wolf has been re-established so fast in the lower 48 they came from here, you protect them and they thrive and repopulate very rapidly. Due to very few trapping them anymore and depressed fur markets they are increasing to numbers not heard of in the old days. They are decimating the elk and in particular the caribou which have not been hunted for decades in Alberta and are threatened to the point of extinction in the alberta foothills. Wolves have re-colonized areas that haven't seen a wolf in a century. They are becoming very bold and did kill a man in Saskatchewan about 4 years ago.
http://www.propertyrightsresearch.org/2006/articles08/manhunters.htm
There have not been many deaths by wolves yet but the frequency of attacks and the boldness displayed of modern day wolves in the last decade is very disturbing. We are only allowed to kill 3 wolves per year in any open big game season here in Alberta.

Good bit of wisdom in what Marc sez. If the wolf isn't taught that man has a sharp stick and can hurt you with it a long ways away, he will become like the grizzlies in Yellowstone. Arrogant beggars that can become pretty ugly if you don't have a handout for them. Kinda like the pan handlers in NYC.

Mythology 101

"... spewed old myths..."

There have not been many deaths by wolves yet but the frequency of attacks and the boldness displayed of modern day wolves in the last decade is very disturbing.

Old myths indeed. Your chances of being injured by a wild wolf in North America are less than being struck by lightning...or winning the Power Ball Lottery.

All the recent cases of injuries (including the guy in Saskatchewan) were of wolves fed by people. Once wolves are fed and lose their fear of people they may attack but even that is extremely rare.

Fed wolves have injured a tiny number of people compared to bears and mountain lions, and the total of those injuries is very small compared to heart attacks while hunting, falls from tree stands, accidental shootings, etc. When you go into the woods there are risks, but being attacked by an unfed wild wolf is not one of them.

my experiences with wolves..

I have personally seen a pack of wolves take down a full grown moose. It was a grizzly experience(no puns) . They methodically weakened the moose down by multiple simultanious attacks.

Every wolf I have encounters ran like hell when it found out I was there.

In Alaska while on a back packing hunt the wolves would come and piss on our tent daily. Marking their territory. After a day or two our tent stunk so bad we almost could not stay in it.

Wolves are beautiful creatures and a well earned trophy.

Nat Lambeth

Old myths indeed. Your chances of being injured by a wild wolf in North America are less than being struck by lightning...or winning the Power Ball Lottery.

All the recent cases of injuries (including the guy in Saskatchewan) were of wolves fed by people. Once wolves are fed and lose their fear of people they may attack but even that is extremely rare.

Fed wolves have injured a tiny number of people compared to bears and mountain lions, and the total of those injuries is very small compared to heart attacks while hunting, falls from tree stands, accidental shootings, etc. When you go into the woods there are risks, but being attacked by an unfed wild wolf is not one of them.

Sure chances are you'll never be attacked by a wolf or struck by lightning. It's not like we want the wolf to go away we just want to keep them in check much like we manage any other wildlife population. Problem is these wolves are reaching a population saturation point and are overflowing into surburbia, killing large amounts of livestock, eating dogs and cats off of porchs that a decade ago was almost unheard of. Wild wolves will not normally take handouts from humans, but their range is expanding out of the hinterlands to suburbia and too close to humans these days. They are looseing their fear, there have been many documented attacks on children and adults at campgrounds, playgrounds, parks where they are protected. When ignorant people start giving handouts and treats to wolves they begin to refer to people as a food source. Most attacks are by these conditioned animals, thing is when they expect handouts from people and don't get them they seem to think its ok to start chewing on people, cases of agressive wolves dragging people out of their tents and sleeping bags are becoming much more common. Children walking to school have been attacked, it's only a matter of time until the deaths begin to mount. Wolves in the wilderness generally pose no threat to humans , especially in a place like Canada where they can be shot, they retain their fear of man, the problem is not the wild wolves, problem comes when wolves overflow out of where they belong to where they don't to close proximity to humans where it is illegal to harvest them because of human population density and local by-laws don't allow hunting and trapping, they realize they are safe from us and are not at risk from humans, they can quickly become a problem.

There is nothing more haunting than the call of the wolf. I and everybody I know loves to hear them and see them. I don't think anybody in their right mind wants the wolf to disappear, we want healthy populations of predators and prey not overpopulations and nuisance and problem wolves in campgrounds, playgrounds, barnyards, back porches and garbage dumps, that is not healthy for them or us.

Last edited:
Back