Bullet making?

What were you all using for cutting cores?

I'm using a home built core cutter. It's ugly, but works. The two halves are tensioned with a Chevy SBC valve spring. I have separate inserts for 6mm and 30.

Photo_8.jpg

Photo_9.jpg

Commercial cutters are available. I believe Corbin still sells them:

http://www.corbins.com/corbin.htm

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I'm using a home built core cutter. It's ugly, but works. The two halves are tensioned with a Chevy SBC valve spring. I have separate inserts for 6mm and 30.

Lee, your home made cutter is remakably close to the one that Larry Blackmon sells. I cut a boat load of cores with it!

Love the SBC valve spring....got some vintage Vasco Jet & K-Motion springs here I could send you! :eek:

For a really slick cutter, you guys should see the one Randy Robinett uses! ;)

Good shootin', cuttin' and squirtin'. -Al

Bill, I would really like to see a picture of this thing with the washing machine motor. Is there someone who could help you post a picture of this?
John VM

bill, i would really like to see a picture of this thing with the washing machine motor. Is there someone who could help you post a picture of this?
John vm
i may have some pictures i will see if my daughter will post when she gets time cladly,.

Photo_8.jpg

Photo_9.jpg

Commercial cutters are available. I believe Corbin still sells them:

http://www.corbins.com/corbin.htm

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Do the cutters need to be sharp? This simply looks like two pieces of flat bar used to sheer off the lead. Either that or im missing something.

Lee, would it be possible on your cutter design to make it feed 2 wires separately and be able to cut on both the forward and reverse stroke?
John VM

Do the cutters need to be sharp? This simply looks like two pieces of flat bar used to sheer off the lead. Either that or im missing something.

The steel bars have inserts which have been decked on a surface grinder. That gives each hole a fairly sharp edge. Plus we're only sheering lead wire. It's soft and the halves are tensioned under good force. They cut very clean.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Lee, would it be possible on your cutter design to make it feed 2 wires separately and be able to cut on both the forward and reverse stroke?
John VM

John - no, ours couldn't be set-up to do that. The wire has to drop thru both the upper and lower inserts. Those do the cutting. The steel bars only house the cutting inserts. They in no way sheer the lead.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

John - no, ours couldn't be set-up to do that. The wire has to drop thru both the upper and lower inserts. Those do the cutting. The steel bars only house the cutting inserts. They in no way sheer the lead.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

What are our inserts made of? and are any of them sharpened?

Any Pictures of the Inserts themselves?

Im assuming the length of the core is measured from the top of the stop to the bottom of the top plate/insert?

Thanks

What are our inserts made of? and are any of them sharpened?

Any Pictures of the Inserts themselves?

Im assuming the length of the core is measured from the top of the stop to the bottom of the top plate/insert?

Thanks

The inserts are machined from tool steel and hardened. Then the tops and bottoms are surface ground. Core length is determined from the top of the bottom insert to the bolt stop.

I've cut over 50,000 cores on it so far. Sheers as cleanly as it did when I started. If I get a chance, I'll snap some photos.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

The inserts are machined from tool steel and hardened. Then the tops and bottoms are surface ground. Core length is determined from the top of the bottom insert to the bolt stop.

I've cut over 50,000 cores on it so far. Sheers as cleanly as it did when I started. If I get a chance, I'll snap some photos.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

This!! ^^^^^!!;) I have made and used lathe turned/faced aluminum-bronze alloy(I think that's what it's called) on my OLD C&H Model M30 Wire Cutter, similar construction to Lee's, and cut hundreds of thousands of square ended cores!:eek::pRG

This!! ^^^^^!!;) I have made and used lathe turned/faced aluminum-bronze alloy(I think that's what it's called) on my OLD C&H Model M30 Wire Cutter, similar construction to Lee's, and cut hundreds of thousands of square ended cores!:eek::pRG

Do you have a preferred ogive for 30br using your original reamer specs ? I see you offer both 7 and 10 ogive 118gr.

bill, i would really like to see a picture of this thing with the washing machine motor. Is there someone who could help you post a picture of this?
John vm
will do cuts 140 strokes a minute using 12 inch pulley my hote fits 250 and 188 dia. Finejust made it a little biger

Back