Bullet making?

Whats the most critical measurements when making bullets? As in if you make a new batch what are you going to measure? Im assuming base to ogive with a comparator, shank size with micrometer, weight with scale and pressure ring with micrometer?. Do you measure overall lenght, bearing surface?

Also is the pressure ring measure right at the base of the bullet?

Thanks

Whats the most critical measurements when making bullets? As in if you make a new batch what are you going to measure? Im assuming base to ogive with a comparator, shank size with micrometer, weight with scale and pressure ring with micrometer?. Do you measure overall lenght, bearing surface?

Thanks

I think, most important is Lube weight. But, I only do 505 at a time. So being real consistent is important. Effects ogive.
Some experimenting with Base to ogive. Weight is going vary a little. Trying to match up the perfect core and perfect jacket could be .1gn -.4gn.
For short range points don't matter....

Now being anal about all that stuff. You really get what you get. A famous bullet maker told me 65gn, 68gn, 70gn bullets will go in the same hole.
Another guy told me about points. Discolored jackets. Weight. His advise "Just go out and shoot them". Practice matters more....
I have picked up a few bad habits this winter....But, shooting is shooting......
At a famous Bullet maker's funeral. We found out he shot mostly the "culled" bullets. You can feel something not consistent when core seating or more of them at point up. He would shoot these. Bart's jackets are really good....I get one or 2 every 1000. And take them out and shoot them in a score match. Local club does score with 5 shoots per bull/10 ring. Since ya hang your own target....200 y is a long walk. So I treat it like a group match. Reject bullets go in the group....

JMHO

whats the most critical measurements when making bullets? As in if you make a new batch what are you going to measure? Im assuming base to ogive with a comparator, shank size with micrometer, weight with scale and pressure ring with micrometer?. Do you measure overall lenght, bearing surface?

Thanks
all of this that you have stated.

Billy is the man....whatever he says.....He sold me my last die set.....Some good jackets, good cores, and some luck. I won my first and only 2 Gun....
And almost beat Ted at Shelby County the next year. Missed it by that much.... .0033". Best part was I won the barrel raffle that Jack does....

Back