Bullet making?

Been reading anything i can find and came across something. Has anyone tried using an ultasonic cleaner to clean the lube from the cores?

Just Dawn and very hot water for about 10 min. Rinse in warm water. Boil in TSP for about 10 min.

Just Dawn and very hot water for about 10 min. Rinse in warm water. Boil in TSP for about 10 min.

Based on what I found seating cores (etched, cleaned but not etched, oiled) I did a little experiment once.

Kept some cores (1% antimony) in TSP long enough until they were heavily etched....texture was that of about 180 grit sand paper. Then seated them normally and using a three corner diamond file, filed the jacket lengthwise on two sides and removed it to see what the walls of the cores looked like under a 20 power magnifier.

Any guesses on what the core wall looked like? -Al

Based on what I found seating cores (etched, cleaned but not etched, oiled) I did a little experiment once.

Kept some cores (1% antimony) in TSP long enough until they were heavily etched....texture was that of about 180 grit sand paper. Then seated them normally and using a three corner diamond file, filed the jacket lengthwise on two sides and removed it to see what the walls of the cores looked like under a 20 power magnifier.

Al, you're, "giving away all of the secrets"!!:p Yes, sectioning cored jackets and finished bullets can provide useful insight!;) RG

I chucked some up in a drill. They made a funny sound when a few were banging together in your hand.
Anyway. Drill and hacksaw. Cut around about 1/2 way. It took 2 pairs of vise grips clamped hard to get the jacket off the lead.
Interesting to say the least. Cut one that was older. And a fresh bullet. Effort to get jacket off of lead was about the same.
Interesting how the bullet tip folds into a point and creates the hole...jacket folds into a point....
Didn't think to use a magnifier on the jacket......

smooth as the inside of the jacket?

I got a line on some Detsch moded redding big boss preses. I was wonder what you guys thought of these?

Also for bullet trays, how thick are they and how large is the hole for a 30cal tray? Do you think wood would work for a tray ?

Redding

I got a line on some Detsch moded redding big boss preses. I was wonder what you guys thought of these?

Also for bullet trays, how thick are they and how large is the hole for a 30cal tray? Do you think wood would work for a tray ?

They will do the job nicely. I know a couple of Bullet makers with these Detsch Redding presses.

i got a line on some detsch moded redding big boss preses. I was wonder what you guys thought of these?

coated hard wood works fine made mine 40 yrs ago made new ones to fit schaker out of acryic plastic.

Are the generaly 1/2" or 3/4" thick? What size is the whole drilled to? Im thinking just slightly larger than .3087

Here are some pics of mine, hole spacing idealized for .30 Cal., 1.080" length: plate is 5&1/4"x11"x1/2" thick; hole depth/diameter 0.360"x11/32nds (0.3438). Had them made by late uncle about 25 years ago.
P.S. Trays hold 100 jackets, the off-set pattern used was easier to fit, and makes for easier handling via my stubby fingers. :) I use these trays for everything larger than 6mm, and for >1.050" 6mm . . . and they work just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0855.JPG
    IMG_0855.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_0858.JPG
    IMG_0858.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_0857.JPG
    IMG_0857.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
When buying 1/4" lead wire is it actually .250" or is it .247" . How close to that size would the bushing of the cutter need to be to that size? would a .2656" hole be too large?

when buying 1/4" lead wire is it actually .250" or is it .247" . How close to that size would the bushing of the cutter need to be to that size? Would a .2656" hole be too large?
i made hole to fit .250 wire use it for 6 mms and larger works fine. Have lightly oiled cloth in left hand to clean lead wire as i push thru cutter 140 pieces a minute.

For Curiosity sake is there anyone out there that still makes quality steel dies? Would the be any good for someone making bullets for personal benchrest use? Or is person going to get that much better quality from a Carbide die?

TrxR

For 224 "projectiles, I purchased Mr. Larry Blackmon's dies.
Using J4 jackets, I produced 52 grains flat base bullets that grouped as good or better than Berger and custom on my 223 Borden rifle

Back