Bullet making?

TrxR

For you guys that make your own bullets where do you source the lead wire? Also for say 30cal bullets what diameter wire do you use and is there a certain type to look for like a certain % of antimony?

Also who is all out there still making good quality dies?

Thanks

Most guys get their cores cut to weight from Charlie Hood. For the quality and price its much more consistant and way less work.

Charlie is the go to guy for cores, unless of course you are a glutton for punishment and need to do your own. I did 3 spools and
Charlie been my source after that, he makes the best.

Dan Honert

I am new to Bullet making but have kinda gone through a crash course. I have 30 caliber Dies to make bullets for Varmint for Score and 6mm Dies to make 105 grn long range bullets.

George Ulrich made my Dies and Presses. , I can't amagine anyone making any better.

geo.c.ulrich@gmail.com

As for cores, my advice is to just get them from Charlie Hood. He can make you any weight you want for what ever Bullet you are making.

Hoodpress@windstream.net

Last edited:
I am new to Bullet making but have kinda gone through a crash course. I have 30 caliber Dies to make bullets for Varmint for Score and 6mm Dies to make 105 grn long range bullets.

George Ulrich made my Dies and Presses. , I can't amagine anyone making any better.

As for cores, my advice is to just get them from Charlie Hood. He can make you any weight you want for what ever Bullet you are making.

That might be an option but am not sure how hard the cores would be to get shipped accross the border. I know the jackets have to come through an exporter/importer.

Bullet Dies

Two threads below this thread is bullet making dies for sale.
Jerry Stiller is the person selling the dies .
He also has a gun Manufacturing company.
He may also have an export license
He is located in Waco, Tx.
They would be quality dies by the description in the ad and immediate available.
CLP

If the cores

Are coming north across Charlie will not sell.

I believe to do with US and Homeland security.

Calvin

Are coming north across Charlie will not sell.

I believe to do with US and Homeland security.

Calvin

Any Idea how the Canadian Bullet makers do it?

Im assuming making their own cores out of Lead wire?

Has anyone tried to get Charlie to sell and ship to a licensed exporter?

When I was doing my own cores, I purchased the core material from Crown Metal Company in Milwaukee,WI. Their phone is: (414) 384-6500.

When you talk with them, make sure you tell them you want 'bullet wire'. They can make it with whatever percentage of antimony you wish. It comes on wooden spools...here's how I mounted the spool to pull length of wire:

he5k56Zl.jpg

Good squirtin'. ;) -Al

I'm a glutton for punishment and make my own cores (both 6mm and 30). Like Al suggested, call Crown Metals out of Milwaukee and order bullet wire. It's 99.25% lead, 0.75% antimony. That's what Charlie uses.

You'll want 1/4" wire for .30.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I also get lead from Crown Metal Company. For 30 cal I use 0.250 diameter with 0.5% antimony.
David Detsch at 814 834 3035 made my very good dies.

All good info here. Anyone with excellent dies, materials, mechanical aptitude, and who pays attention to details can make excellent bullets, with minimal learning curve.;) RG

All good info here. Anyone with excellent dies, materials, mechanical aptitude, and who pays attention to details can make excellent bullets, with minimal learning curve.;) RG

Whose dies do you like? And what ogive bullet do you recommend for your 30br reamer specs?

Last edited:
To individuals, J4 takes orders once a year, or so it seems. It usually takes about 5 months to receive a order. Or at least that is what it took to get my J4 30 and 6mm jackets.
I ordered mine through Michelle or Jack Neary at Capstone.

MHamilton@CapstonePG.com
Periodically, shooting supply houses such as BRUNO has them. Bullet Central keeps Hines on hand.

You have to plan ahead. I ordered my 6mm Dies from George last January and ordered the Jackets at the same time. I got the Dies before I received the Jackets.

Last edited:
i cut and squirted millons takes time made i own core cutter for 20 bucks oiut of old parts 140 strokes a min.later bought from brady knight.
when checking double pump cores 26 a min core seat 1400 hr. Pt packeage 1200 hr. I have 40 plus' presses set up in my shop.

Back