Bart's 30 caliber bullets test Results

Bart

My good friend Charlie Steinius came down to help test the 30 caliber bullets! Im still in the process of collecting all the equipment and paraphernalia to shoot the 30s. But Charlie was kind enough to pack all his stuff up and make the hour and a half trek to my place. Looking at the weather Sunday the 16th would be our best chance for decent conditions.

Here's Charlie sending the first Ever fired Bart's 30 caliber bullet down range!

Once set up Charlie sent 4 of Ronnie Cheeks bullets down range into a nice hole. I'd estimate around a .180. Charlie preloaded some pet loads of Ronnie's bullets so we could have some sort of comparison. We then loaded up some of my 30s! First two shots went threw the same hole and one popped up and out of the group a full bullet turning a zero into .370. We blew it off to load and conditions. We bumped the load three tenths and managed a .135. After that the wheels came off! The next 5 groups were horrible! Charlie was looking at me like, "Damn son I thought you knew how to make a bullet!" So after buying dies, punches, presses, bullet jackets, cores, parts and pieces to build a test rifle, and all the stuff to reload with. I'm like!!!

I sat down and gave it a try! I shot two groups and the bullets were flying around like its the gunfight at OK Corral! I looked at Charlie and said you're scopes bad! There is no way according to the flags the bullets can go where they went.

So we pulled off Charlie's scope and put on one of mine. The next 3 shot group was an .089. I'm starting to feel better. The next one down range was a .220 the last shot stepped out because of conditions, but at least we could see what did it. Then we shot an 082, followed by another 082 and a .153. Now Charlie is looking at me like, "Damn, that's pretty good!" And I'm feeling like! Cool!

Here are some pics of some of the best groups.

No doubt barts bullets and barts premier benchrest jackets will be on top of the score game just like they are in the group game.

Barts Bullets

No doubt barts bullets and barts premier benchrest jackets will be on top of the score game just like they are in the group game.

Always enjoy going down to Barts, everytime I learn something from him. I didn't shoot very good all year long and was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. Never would had figure it out about the scope. I was using the same setup and rifle that I won the 2012 UBR nationals with. Again I want to thank Bart for helping me out. Looking forward to the 2015 season.

Always enjoy going down to Barts, everytime I learn something from him. I didn't shoot very good all year long and was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. Never would had figure it out about the scope. I was using the same setup and rifle that I won the 2012 UBR nationals with. Again I want to thank Bart for helping me out. Looking forward to the 2015 season.

So what was the problem with the scope? :confused:

... Looking at the weather Sunday the 16th would be our best chance for decent conditions...

Nice groups. Now I will have no chance of beating Charlie.;)

Bart, weren't you working on a tunnel, so you can test year-round?

Cheers,
Keith

Glad to hear they are shooting well. I don't think there was ever any doubt you'd make a good bullet, Bart. Thanks for doing this.
BTW, now that you're in Ky., you don't have to settle with shooting Bambi's little brother. :p

Leupold 45 scope

So what was the problem with the scope? :confused:

abintx,

Don't know what is wrong with the scope except it won't hold aim. It is a Leupold 45, and sending it back to Leupold to get checked out.

Nice groups. Now I will have no chance of beating Charlie.;)

Bart, weren't you working on a tunnel, so you can test year-round?

Cheers,
Keith

Keith,

Not a tunnel but a ditch! Below is a Google pick of the range. We have a three bench outdoor range. The building beside that has the ditch which is 100 yards long. You head to the basement to shoot in it. Upstairs there is an indoor bench that you can shoot 100 and 200 yards. I shoot pretty much year round.

Here is a pic of the interior(when it's clean!).

Last edited:
Keith,

Not a tunnel but a ditch! Below is a Google pick of the range. We have a three bench outdoor range. The building beside that has the ditch which is 100 yards long. You head to the basement to shoot in it. Upstairs there is an indoor bench that you can shoot 100 and 200 yards. I shoot pretty much year round.

[/URL]

Hi Bart, just curious, what is the optimal depth for a "shooting ditch", how do you keep the ditch/basement from flooding during heavy rains?.............Don

Hi Bart, just curious, what is the optimal depth for a "shooting ditch", how do you keep the ditch/basement from flooding during heavy rains?.............Don

Don,

The ditch has a concrete top over the first 12 feet or so. It is also sloped away from the basement, with drainage pipes in the bottom of it taking the water away from the basement, and out of the ditch. I'd say the deeper the better. Ours is about 4ft deep. It works great but for the most part I prefer to shoot in conditions.

Bart

Bart, does Kim hire out as a decorator?

Jerry,

Of all things, the builder and decorator is Jim Chaney aka "Concrete Monkey" aka "Monkey!" One time I mentioned a shooting ditch would be cool! The next thing I knew the Monkey was making it happen with the ditch and building. Around here it's known as the "The Monkey Hut!"

That's all the Monkey!

Nice looking shooting facility. Makes me want to talk the wife into taking that position in Louisville.

I've got some help on the way for that website, check your email inbox.

Pat

Back