Zicon "Heavy" Sand

P

pgrdog

Other than Sinclair where can I get Zicon/Heavy Sand?????

Chromite Sand
$ 0.3795 lb.
Carolyn Kelvington
Ph: 847-851-1738
I think 50 lb. min. order
I just got 100# delivered for $81.48

Before Dave Dorhman Passed I had a chance to talk to him a while about sand and his new bags with the "Ultra Fabric". His testing of various sands with Smiley Hensley showed that "Black Beauty" a sandblasting sand that is very coarse worked best. I believe it was 60 or 80 grit, anyway it was coarse. I was able to find some at a local "True Value Hardware" the stuff is cheap too, like 12 bucks for 50 pounds. So, it works and it's cheap! What more can we ask. Oh Jim Piegtal has taken over the selling of Daves bags, He is real good to deal with, I've bought a number of bags from him this year.

Paul

The bagful I got from Russ Haydon was plenty to fill an Edgewood front bag and a tall Protektor rear bag and was 15 # for less than $20 as I recall. It was coarser than the stuff the well driller brought up when he used up my new Bruno rifle fund to redrill my well.............................:mad:

http://www.shooters-supply.com/precision_shooting_accessories.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 80 grit... You really should look into the Black Beauty from your local True value Hardware... 12 bucks for 50 pounds is great and the stuff never really gets tight in the bag it just has a certain deadness to it (Good thing for a set of sand bags).

Paul

Last edited:
I picked up a small quanity of Zicon from a local welding supply shop.

Protektor will sell it for $1.00 a pound. If you have it shipped to a dealer, they pay the shipping.

Oh Crap!!!! I just noticed you are from California.....

Black Beauty might cause certain cancers in the state of California.

You better get the Zircon at 4 times the cost!

When I spoke with Dave about the Black Beauty (which is coal slag), he told me that he was mixing it 50-50 with heavy sand. Has anyone pulled the sand out of a bag that he filled with the stuff? I appreciate the True Value tip. Years before Dave and I had discussed the effects of sand grain shape on how it "stacks" and packs in bags. Although I have not looked at what is in mine, I understand that it is the shape of the Black Beauty that gives it its desirable properties.

Boyd,

While Dave was Alive, I purchased a few bags from him with the Ultra Fabric. The bags I bought were not filled when I asked him what is the best fill, and I stated the I have heavy sand, he told me about the Black Beauty. He didn't mention the mix. I filled a few bags with Black Beauty, and liked it so much that I had other bags that I drained the Heavy sand out of. If you think filling bags is a Pain try emptying bags. I then filled them with Black Beauty, those bags were Leather ears, not Ultra Fabric. I like the Ultra Fabric, and I like the Black Beauty. But I would still use Leater ear bags and Black Beauty, But I have lost taste for Heavy sand. It settles too hard and the guns bounce too much.

Also, I am set up for Bag Squeezing... I don 't use the knobs and trinkets on these new fandangled front rests, I just aim and shoot. It's simple and it works for me.

Paul

Last edited:
I have several pounds of the coal slag stuff from my local True value in the original bag. I drained the rest of it it out of my shooting bags (a pain as mentioned above, but not all THAT bad) after a local BR star told me that it set like cement in our local winters. The stuff I bought from Russ Haydon still works just fine, remaining flexible, and the leftovers in the slag bag are best described as monolithic.

P.S. The slag bag was stored inside two additional (2) plastic garbage bags and sealed therein also inside my barn. I figured I would use it for grit on the ice come winters--boy was I wrong............

Last edited by a moderator:
Being from California, I would look at the products from Kleen Blast, it is slag. I use both the fine and medium mixed 50/50 in all my bags. Will not go back to the heavy sand.

Joe

If itv sets up in cold weather then perhaps spray it with a good silicone might keep this from happening.

Back