Your slickest action?

N

Northman

Of all the actions you have used, how do you rate them in terms of easy bolt manipulation?

Please rank them in order if you may..

Im once again dreaming of a Varmint rifle, and I do know a very thight action and dust could cause problems. Currently Im looking real hard at Barnards.. but Bats (sv) is right behind it.

Well.. the most resent post Ive read regarding this was over at longrangehunting.com, where some where advising against using a to thight action ( in this case a Bat ).

Guys who cannot keep their rifles clean and in good operating condition will get no sympathy from me. They should stick to Mausers.

JMHO

Ray

Of all the actions you have used, how do you rate them in terms of easy bolt manipulation?
Im once again dreaming of a Varmint rifle, and I do know a very thight action and dust could cause problems. Currently Im looking real hard at Barnards.. but Bats (sv) is right behind it.

In terms of single-shot varmint rifles, the importance of 'easy bolt manipulation' is probably dead last on my list of criteria.

If you are considering a repeater, then the bolt manipulation issue might be worth considering. Of the various rifles I have owned/fired over the years, I would put the bolt manipulation of the Swedish Mauser as the worst. And yet this rifle served pretty damn well in the battlefield, didn't it?

What does that tell you? :eek:

Well.. the most resent post Ive read regarding this was over at longrangehunting.com, where some where advising against using a to thight action ( in this case a Bat ).

Maybe if you are shooting at a rock quary next to a rock crusher throwing pebbles into the loading port.

Bolt/action clearance on my competition rifles are .0004", and I have shot in plenty of Phoenix sandstorms without missing a beat. More worried about sand pebbles down the barrel or onto my scope lenses.

Bolt action lock ups due to tight tolerances is an "old wives" tales.........Don

I second the Krag ...mine is darn slick, No tight bolt fit either ;)

Ruger Action

For a varmint rifle my Ruger is as slick as any I have and can take the grit and grime of a varmint hunt as any other action I own. Though I do feel a Mauser action is a proven go to war gun and good for any smaller things like a Varmint hunt.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

I like a couple different ones

A new Sig-Sauer, a Sako 75, an old Colt Mfg rifle with a FN Browning action. My Ruger 77 magnum in a .375 H&H. A FN Browning safari grade .300 H&H. A Winchester .300 H&H pre-64 pre war. A old Krag .30-40. I like old guns....

Have three way tie for first:
Borden Timberline
Nesika
BAT

Second
Hart
Stolle Panda F class

Third
Weatherby mark 5
Sako TRG 42

Fourth
Stiller Predator

Have some mighty smooth remingtons also.

I'l third that on the Krag.
I have 2 1898 Krags and they are the smoothest bolt action I haver used.

I looked at a .35 Newton today

Not so slick. But an interesting firearm. Little tiny bolt handle. Good for my six year old. Gun was in poor shape. Wood was bad. Some of it had broke off. Seven lugs, looks a bit like a Weatherby. Sauer action, with Double set trigger's, that still work. Thought I'd share what I saw.

Mark

Back