Your opinion of Electro-Chemical Etching

O

oldpup223

I have been thinking of investing in some etching equipment and remember years ago when in the tool shop we done some with chemical etching and wondered has the process improved and what do you think of it now.

Thanks
Denton Smith

I think electro-chemical etching is a find way to mark things. We used it to mark metal parts a lot in the aerospace business. I used it to etch my name on my Leatherman during a noon hour at work.

I've considered getting an inexpensive kit to make caliber labels for my barrels. So far this is the least expensive source I've found: http://www.etching-metal.com/eom.htm

Still looking.

Fitch

I think electro-chemical etching is a find way to mark things. We used it to mark metal parts a lot in the aerospace business. I used it to etch my name on my Leatherman during a noon hour at work.

I've considered getting an inexpensive kit to make caliber labels for my barrels. So far this is the least expensive source I've found: http://www.etching-metal.com/eom.htm

Still looking.

Fitch

there is a process that involves the use of a timer for metal removal that uses an acid compound. I used to have to fit up male splines to an internal spline with this method. Been 25 years since I've seen it done. Results were very accurate, but took hours and hours to do
gary

there is a process that involves the use of a timer for metal removal that uses an acid compound. I used to have to fit up male splines to an internal spline with this method. Been 25 years since I've seen it done. Results were very accurate, but took hours and hours to do
gary

current electro takes seconds....more time to type up the template than to do the work

current electro takes seconds....more time to type up the template than to do the work

we actually painted the stuff on with a small paint brush, and seems like it took about an hour to remove .0005". What got me was that the finish of the metal wasn't discolored
gary

we actually painted the stuff on with a small paint brush, and seems like it took about an hour to remove .0005". What got me was that the finish of the metal wasn't discolored
gary

When the tech etched my name on my Leatherman for me, it took him a couple of minutes to type up the stencil, and about 10 seconds a side to etch the name on. Electrochem etch is really quick.

Fitch

Oldpup223
I have been using a MARKING METHODS etch system for about 16 years now. Real top drawer system. Very easy to use and will etch .010 deep or you can do a light etch. You can make your own stencils or Marking Methods will make them for you. Hope this helps

Attachments

• gun 008.jpg
    gun 008.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 815
  • gun 007.jpg
    gun 007.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 923
Last edited:
+1 on the Mark 300. The etcho-matic IS cheaper and you get what you pay for. I had their deluxe model and after 1 year, I gave it away.

Back