Your method...

Chisel hell that was a pot stirrer....

Butch:

Sombody sent me a picture of two Afgan gunsmiths. One had a hammer and the other a file. Seems to me they had a number of AK47s in a pile.

Nat

Butch:

Sombody sent me a picture of two Afgan gunsmiths. One had a hammer and the other a file. Seems to me they had a number of AK47s in a pile.

Nat

That was after they used the hammer and file on the bad guys... :D

I think I saw the same video... hard to believe it wasn't any more than a couple of guys playing with some parts and having a pile of firearms at the same time... I think it was all B.S.

Nesika Chad..

Below was taken from one of your previous post

"I built Kyle Leibertrau's rifle that he won the 2007 World Palma Championships with. (Junior individual and team events) I built this on a Nesika K action in 2004/5. I built Charles Clark's Palma gun that he took to Worlds back in 03, also on a Nesika action (model J). Both guns will hold a 1/3rd of a minute for elevation back at 1K. So I will concede that there may be merit to what your saying. But I temper that with the memory of a beat up Remington 700 owned by retired Sgt. Major Norm Crawford who was also on the 03 Palma Team. His "sow's ear" is every bit as capable as the rifles I built and to the best of my knowledge it does not have any sort of modification to minimize the bolt to receiver tolerance. Then there's Mr. Corbin Shell who won a Tennessee 1000 yard state level match a few years back with a Mauser that Hitler probably carried".

I can not comment about Charles Clark's gun...

As for Sgt Major Norm Crawford, I was under the opinion Mark Hunt of Walburg, NC smithed his rifles. That is what is indicated on Dan Lilja's web site. I have personally seen Mark and/or his son picking up rifles from Norm while at Butner.

As for Corbin Shell's Mauser, it was a Witworth Mauser he put together while he attended Montgomery Community College Gunsmithing school. It was chambered in 6.5 X .284 with a Mark Chanlynn Barrel. Corbin brought that rifle (mauser) and a Model J Nesika chambered in 6.5 Remington magnum to me for rebarreling. He told me he got the Nesika from Glenn Harrison and Richard Spurlin (sp) at Nesika in SD. I know he had two bolts for that action. I think he also had a 6.5 X .284 barrel for the Nesika. I rechambered it in 6.5 Remington magnum and he shot it at Camp Perry in August 2005. I saw that same Nesika in a Birds eye maple stock on 6mmBR website last year. Corbin claimed to have done the stock work. I know about two years ago John Whidden rechambered it in .243Win.

Get your stories straight as the gunsmithing world is a small one almost everyone knows everyone.

Nat Lambeth

"I built Kyle Leibertrau's rifle that he won the 2007 World Palma Championships with. (Junior individual and team events) I built this on a Nesika K action in 2004/5. I built Charles Clark's Palma gun that he took to Worlds back in 03, also on a Nesika action (model J). Both guns will hold a 1/3rd of a minute for elevation back at 1K. So I will concede that there may be merit to what your saying. But I temper that with the memory of a beat up Remington 700 owned by retired Sgt. Major Norm Crawford who was also on the 03 Palma Team. His "sow's ear" is every bit as capable as the rifles I built and to the best of my knowledge it does not have any sort of modification to minimize the bolt to receiver tolerance. Then there's Mr. Corbin Shell who won a Tennessee 1000 yard state level match a few years back with a Mauser that Hitler probably carried".

As for Sgt Major Norm Crawford, I was under the opinion Mark Hunt of Walburg, NC smithed his rifles. That is what is indicated on Dan Lilja's web site. I have personally seen Mark and/or his son picking up rifles from Norm while at Butner.

As for Corbin Shell's Mauser, it was a Witworth Mauser he put together while he attended Montgomery Community College Gunsmithing school. It was chambered in 6.5 X .284 with a Mark Chanlynn Barrel. Corbin brought that rifle (mauser) and a Model J Nesika chambered in 6.5 Remington magnum to me for rebarreling. He told me he got the Nesika from Glenn Harrison and Richard Spurlin (sp) at Nesika in SD. I know he had two bolts for that action. I think he also had a 6.5 X .284 barrel for the Nesika. I rechambered it in 6.5 Remington magnum and he shot it at Camp Perry in August 2005. I saw that same Nesika in a Birds eye maple stock on 6mmBR website last year. Corbin claimed to have done the stock work. I know about two years ago John Whidden rechambered it in .243Win.

Get your stories straight as the gunsmithing world is a small one almost everyone knows everyone.

Nat Lambeth

You're taking Chad to task, for what, not knowing that Corbin Shell built his own Mauser (if your allegation is correct) instead of it being old enough to have been carried by Hitler? BFD!!!

You don't know anything about Kyle Liebertrau's rifle, you don't know anything about Charles Clark's rifle, Chad didn't claim to build Norm Crawford's rifle -- he only observed that Mr. Crawford could shoot well with whatever the sow's ear was -- nor did he make any claim as to Mr. Shell's rifle except that it was an old Mauser.

So how are his stories not straight? In fact, they are. Your inferences are flawed.

Dennis, I like the bolt bumps.

One thing I do in remmy actions after truing the reciever, and bolt

I place a strip of painters tape in the bottom of the rear reciver ring when lapping the bolt lugs. This forces the rear of the bolt up thus lapping a little more off the bottom lug. So when the pin is cocked the lugs are making equal contact.

When you fire as such, the sear spring is still pushing up on the sear arm that the fireing pin ramp is riding over. So in theory when lapped this way the bolt is held up pre firing, forced up upon firing/chamber pressure, and held up by sear spring pressure after firing. thus eliminating the "downward slam"

I know now the bolt face is not perfectly square with the centerline of the rifles bore. Well the mathmatical calc. of that triangle comes out to
about .0001" out. Most peoples dies tweak the brass more than that.

I figure with the wear of about 500 bolt closings on the trued action your outcome is exactly as what I am lapping in from the start.

As Chad had mentioned about doing the math, figuring out what the lug gap is on a bushed bolt versus a non bushed bolt. I chose to lap the difference out of the lugs on a rifle. It's my KISS, and it cost no more than just the action trueing, with that said if a fellow wants it bushed by all means I'll oblige.

Somthing else for tolerance filler Cerakoat and Duracoat.
Coating the remmy action and bolt can take up to .002-.004" of slop. It usually holds up as long as most guys barrels last.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dennis, I like the bolt bumps.

One thing I do in remmy actions after truing the reciever,

I place a strip of painters tape in the bottom of the rear reciver ring when lapping the bolt lugs. This forces the rear of the bolt up thus lapping a little more off the bottom lug. So when the pin is cocked the lugs are making equal contact.

When you fire as such, the sear spring is still pushing up on the sear arm that the fireing pin ramp is riding over. So in theory when lapped this way the bolt is held up pre firing, forced up upon firing/chamber pressure, and held up by sear spring pressure after firing. thus eliminating the "downward slam"

I know now the bolt face is not perfectly square with the centerline of the rifles bore. Well the mathmatical calc. of that triangle comes out to
about .0001" out. Most peoples dies tweak the brass more than that.

I figure with the wear of about 500 bolt closings on the trued action your outcome is exactly as what I am lapping in from the start.

As Chad had mentioned about doing the math, figuring out what the lug gap is on a bushed bolt versus a non bushed bolt. I chose to lap the difference out of the lugs on a rifle. It's my KISS, and it cost no more than just the action trueing, with that said if a fellow wants it bushed by all means I'll oblige.

Somthing else for tolerance filler Cerakoat and Duracoat.
Coating the remmy action and bolt can take up to .002-.004" of slop. It usually holds up as long as most guys barrels last.

With the tooling and procedure I use... the bumped bolt in place the bolt face is cut true with a piloted carbide cutter... no lapping will make it any better. It is the last operation after the receiver was faced and threaded.

When it is not a bumped bolt I place a bit of tape on the top of the closed bolt and use the middle screw hole and a screw to force the bolt up... that about splits the difference of bolt slop... then the bolt face is cut true with a piloted carbide cutter... no lapping will make it any better.

This is a very easy to do and solid, clean method of bumping a bolt.

I "bump" the occasional 700 bolt. When I am truing the action (as I described above) and have a tight bushing in the rear of the action, I take a diameter measurement from the bushing.

I machine two standard 3/8's inch dovetails in the bolt body right where they would contact the rear bridge on the receiver when the bolt is closed. Then those dovetails are fitted with steel dovetail blanks and they are machined to the diameter measurement I got from the bushing.

The bolt operates freely with the "bump" not coming into play until the bolt is closed... and when you close it all rear up and down movement is eliminated.

I can not take credit for this idea, I first heard about this method from Bill Leeper who frequents this and other "gun" sites occasionally.

Here is a picture of the bottom "bump" on a 700.
700%20bolt%20bump.jpg

Good one Dennis,

All's I can say is.... "wish't I'da' thought a' that!"

al

why ????

i have red this thread with grate intrest, as in skilled engineer who biuld lathes as a job and rifle for a hobby here what i see

when ever someone who dose some thing deffrent to the norm, the norm seem to get upset why ?

chad best of lucky you'll never talk so round a they set in there ways !

Nat Lambeth

Nat,

I never said I built Norm's gun or Corbin's. I was at the 03 Palma Team's practices at Sacramento and down at Camp Butner. I was acting as an armorer for the team at the time. That is when I met Norm and Corbin for the first time. If someone got the idea I am trying to take credit for the work of someone else then perhaps they need a remedial reading comprehension refresher because that is simply not the case.

Its plainly stated right here: (quoting myself)

Major Norm Crawford who was also on the 03 Palma Team. His "sow's ear" is every bit as capable AS THE RIFLES I BUILT and to the best of my knowledge it does not have any sort of modification to minimize the bolt to receiver tolerance. Then there's Mr. Corbin Shell who won a Tennessee 1000 yard state level match a few years back with a Mauser that Hitler probably carried".

IF I had built the gun(s) I wouldn't be using them as comparisons to guns I HAVE built. BTW, I consider both Norm and Corbin to be friends of mine so feel free to verify anything you wish with them.

My story is straight Chief. Perhaps you should take the time to read and comprehend a post before you fire off with both barrels because after all this is a small community and a lot of us do know each other.

Have a great weekend all.

Chad Dixon
LongRifles, Inc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back