Your complaints on a Kimber 82G.

bored184

I want to know your complaints on Kimber 82G's. What you think about the triggers, barrels, etc. I know a machinist/gunsmith who is looking at one like a blank sheet and is wanting to make improvements.
Thanks
Bored184

Wonderful gun. Just needs a better trigger. By better I mean one that is much lighter-couple ounces. If an aftermarket were to come around that would be a big boost for entry level Bench Rest shooters. Would also be a big boost for the shooting sports.

I have a Kimber 82G, Star,with a Bison Barrel, Tuner, McMillan stock, and have had the trigger adjusted to 15oz. It does shoot good but would be much better with a good trigger.

Richard

Silfox-I got beat by a kimber 82G yeasterday at benchrest match by 2 points and 2 x's. I wish people would quit saying Kimber 82 Gs wont compete. There were other problems with that rifle-you would not belive.garrisone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started this forum not to put down the Kimber 82G, but to find out why people don't like them and why they think that it wont make a good BR gun. Believe it or not I have ran across some that do not like them. I own one that shoots remarkably well. The triggers aren't good and could use some work I will admit that. Over the past months my father and I have been turning one into a somewhat dedicated BR gun. It is a Kimber 82G with a BSA Platinum 36X. I know its not a combination that highly sought after but for a beginner with a budget I think its great. Either tonight or tomorrow I will posting some pictures of it and some groups for your enjoyment and opinion.
Thanks
Bored184

I thought Kimber put the "star" on the barrel? Thanks, Douglas

I can't speak for Kimber but mine has a * above the serial number! (On the receiver)

Richard

I've only seen one and I musta forgot. The star meant the barrel was a killer, not too many of them out there. Thanks, Douglas

Douglas, I read someplace that the Star guaranteed a certain level of accuracy. Don't know what level or what it applied to but it was supposed to be more accurate than the standard release.

Richard

Here she is.

100_0417.jpg

100_0420.jpg

My Kimber 82G with a BSA Platinum 36X scope. The trigger has been reworked to be a reliable 14 ounces. It could of been worked lower but I don't like extremely light triggers for precision shooting. The front plate was made specifically for that gun by my father, he was also the one to re work the trigger. Due to the weather I have not been able to shoot it much, but with eley practice at 50yds it will do one little hole.

Bored184, it looks good. Is the metal plate going to be legal for IR 50/50 and ARA? I don't really know that much about the rules.

Richard

Don't know about IR 50/50, but ARA is anything that will shoot a factory 22 long rifle cartridge is legal...including a rail gun if you had one.

Charlie

Thanks for the compliments. I put it on the bathroom scale last night and it just tips the scale at 14pounds. I do know that for IR 50/50 that the gun has to be under 13.5 pounds for there heavy class. I would have to loose about half the front plate to get down that low. As far as the plate being legal for IR50/50 I don't know, not a bad question though. I will have to look into that. But I have learned I live in a primarily ARA state and the ranges close to me all shoot ARA and it meets there requirements so I should be good.

When looking at equipment like that we should be able to understand why Col Jeff Copper didnt have much use for BR equipment. Something about 'all equipment and little about skill'.

I have and 82G, Rem 40x and a Suhl 150 all stock except for the 40x which has an aftermarket trigger. Wish someone would make on for the 82G. Then, I believe, we'd see more new shooters into the sport.

I've heard that attitude from several non BR shooters. I wonder why the same guys end up at the top of the heap each year.

Don, Dedication, Skill, and Equipment. I have seen one top BR shooter shoot in the winter when it was to cold for me to get our of my car. The last time I shot in the really cold weather was during the early 50's and it was a requirement not a option.

Richard

Back