Xr-100

R

Riflemeister

I saw the thread on here where the XR-100 was discontinued by Remington.
Today I got an E-mail flyer from Jerry's Sport Center with a special on XR-100's. It appears someone ought to get em before the hoarders do.

Riflemeister: What was the price the folks at Jerry's were asking for the XR-100's?
Does it matter that the VarmintWife refers to me as a "hoarder" rather often?
Thanks in advance.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I'm not sure if its Remington D/Cing them or just retailers and distributors. Zander's, wholesaler from the place I used to work, was selling them for next to nothing to dealers calling it a close-out.

Tom: When I got my new 2,008 Remington catalog about 3 weeks ago I checked to see if the Remington folks had added any calibers to the short list of calibers they had been producing the XR-100 in.
I could NOT find the XR-100 in the 2,008 catalog at all!
I immediately called the Remington Arms Corporation and was told the XR-100 indeed was "not in the 2,008 catalog as production of the XR-100 had been discontinued" - end quote!
Since I made this call I have talked to a couple of high volume Remington dealers I know and indeed production of this fine Rifle has ceased.
I have also been to the Remington web site and it does show the XR-100 on its pages but I am pretty well convinced that production has ceased and once stocks at wholesalers and distributors are gone, there won't be any replacements.
I have really enjoyed my XR-100's and all of them are especially accurate!
I was hoping they would offer the XR-100 this year in 17 Remington Fireball but alas I guess its not going to happen.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

TLO: Tom, I have an XR-100 in caliber 223 Remington as well.
It is VERY accurate indeed.
I have to relay this to you and will preface it with this -the Rifle does not shoot this well everytime out!
When I first got the Rifle I was interested in wringing all the accuracy out of it I could.
I bought LaPua brass for it, brand new Redding dies and made handloads using Berger bullets and Federal Match primers in the test loads.
My second trip to the range with it I shot two groups of one test load. The groups (5 shots at 100 yards) measured .121" and .326"! I was just thrilled with this accuracy!
That .121" groups is the smallest group I have ever fired with an all factory non-40X Rifle!
I settled on this load and the next time I checked it I shot another group (5 shots at 100 yards) that measured .346".
The average of all groups (5 shots at 100 yards) I have made with this Rifle to date is .378".
Again I could not be happier with the accuracy from this Rifle.
The triggers on all three of my XR-100's are just wonderful as well.
Wishing you continued happiness with your XR-100.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Mine is a .308 from Gander Mountain. It's a non-catalogue gun, and it groups just under .5" @ 100 yds, with no stock work.

It seems like it would be a great target rifle, well within people's budgets. I had hoped they would expand the line into a 260 Remington. That seems like it would be a very desirable combination.

It's a shame they're dropping it. I guess it just wasn't popular enough. I wonder what Savage knows, that Remington doesn't

Best,
Dennis

Pendennis: Good for you and the Remington XR-100 in 308 Winchester!
That is good shooting for an all stock Rifle.
Yes a 260 Remington in the XR-100 would sure be a nifty Rifle!
I have a Remington Model 700 VLS (Varmint Laminated Stock) in caliber 260 Remington. It is very accurate and the recoil from it is very mild.
I use it for long range Rock Chucks and Coyotes and it also serves duty as my back up Antelope/Mule Deer Rifle.
I did use it last year to harvest a 15" Buck Antelope on public land here in Montana.
Yes I am puzzled why the folks at Remington decided to shut down production on the XR-100.
I thought they were selling well - maybe not?
Does savage have a comparable Rifle?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Xr-100 in 308

I bought 3 of the XR-100's in .308 from gander Mountain in Houston, 2 at one place and one at another.

I got them for $600 each, because Gander mountain was having trouble selling them. They wanted $900 for the XR-100 22-250 beside it.

I sighted in, and put scopes on all 3.

2 of them, I put Nikon Monarch 6.5-20's and one of them I put a VX3 6.5-20.

I tried several loads with several bullets. I found an accuracy node with 44 grains of Varget behind a 168 SMK, cci primed, Lapua brass.

All three rifles shoot identical groups of a single hole, that measures about 1/2" to 5/8" outside so, subracting bullet diameter, about .200" group.

The rifle also likes 168 Hornady A-max bullets.

My friend Nathan has a 22-250 XR-100 and it shoots very well also.

The short, single shot platform has no special bedding, yet still performs.

Bnhpr: Wow! Now that is an endorsement if I ever heard one!
I wish I had some mad money at hand I would have to make a play for one of those Gander Mountain specials (reminds me of a batch of Rifles the Gopher Shooters Supply Company ordered for themselves back in the early 60's - they are called Gopher Specials and they COMMAND a premium in collector circles - I have some of these!).
I will say this Ben, EVERY Remington bolt action Rifle I have ever owned (or shot!) in caliber 308 Winchester has been VERY accurate indeed!
One I wish I had back was an older Remington 700 Varmint (wood stock and 24" heavy blued barrel) it would honestly and consistently shoot groups (5 shots at 100 yards) in the .500" range! It had a Leupold 6.5x20 scope on it and what a sweet rig. I killt some Antelope with it and in a moment of weakness I sold it to a fellow who used it in the then new Metallic Silhouette competitions. He did well with it there by the way.
Well good for you and the XR-100's - I wonder if a guy should buy one of these 308 XR-100's as an investement?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Investment is a term or word that I use to convince the wife I should buy something, primarily firearms.

Is it still an investment if I won't sell it?

Bnhpr: Wow! Now that is an endorsement if I ever heard one!
I wish I had some mad money at hand I would have to make a play for one of those Gander Mountain specials (reminds me of a batch of Rifles the Gopher Shooters Supply Company ordered for themselves back in the early 60's - they are called Gopher Specials and they COMMAND a premium in collector circles - I have some of these!).
I will say this Ben, EVERY Remington bolt action Rifle I have ever owned (or shot!) in caliber 308 Winchester has been VERY accurate indeed!
One I wish I had back was an older Remington 700 Varmint (wood stock and 24" heavy blued barrel) it would honestly and consistently shoot groups (5 shots at 100 yards) in the .500" range! It had a Leupold 6.5x20 scope on it and what a sweet rig. I killt some Antelope with it and in a moment of weakness I sold it to a fellow who used it in the then new Metallic Silhouette competitions. He did well with it there by the way.
Well good for you and the XR-100's - I wonder if a guy should buy one of these 308 XR-100's as an investement?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

There were 13 left when I bought these in October.

My friend derek has a VLS, witht he black tipped, laminate stock, that shoots.5's Love that stock.

XR in .308

I have one in .308 as well. I got mine at Gander in Sugarland TX for $580.

I did not own a decent rest at the time (do now) and I did not like the way it felt trying to shoot it off the bags (I'm a rifle newbie). A friend at the range let me use his Caldwell Rock BR and I put my last 3 Rem 168 match SMK bullets into 1 hole.

I just ordered a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 SF and a Dednutz ring/base for it. If my damn bonus ever gets here, I am planning on getting one in .223 or another .308 if I can locate one.

Well I guess my search for an XR-100 in 308 Winchester, through the Gander Mountain Chain, is over!
I called several of their stores in North Dakota, Colorado and then in Texas. Finally I got through to an adult named "Glen" at the Houston/Sugarland, Texas Gander Mountain Store - and he knew "he" was out of them but he took the time to get on the stores main computer system. He then checked with all 115 Gander Mountain Stores and according to him and his computer, they are all sold out! He relayed how he had wanted to get one of these Rifles for himself and he's miffed they are all gone as well.
Oh well - maybe someday one will come up for sale that I will run across.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I have one in .308 as well. I got mine at Gander in Sugarland TX for $580.

I did not own a decent rest at the time (do now) and I did not like the way it felt trying to shoot it off the bags (I'm a rifle newbie). A friend at the range let me use his Caldwell Rock BR and I put my last 3 Rem 168 match SMK bullets into 1 hole.

I just ordered a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 SF and a Dednutz ring/base for it. If my damn bonus ever gets here, I am planning on getting one in .223 or another .308 if I can locate one.

I'm going to stretch mine out to 600 yards when I get a chance. I need to mill of the bottom of the stock, flat. I do not like the convex shape on the bag.

Going to try the berger bullets in it soon.

Ben

Back