Wooden riser blocks under rear bag.

D

Dwight C

Garrett has made it clear that they are fine at the AZ Nats.

But, then the question, implying that this might be only a local ruling.

Please, are wooden riser blocks within the WRABF rules at all sanctioned shoots, or not.

Later,
Dwight

Spacers under the rear bags can be made of any material, including wood, for USARB sanctioned matches.

Thanks Guys,

Sgeorge and Bill,
Appreciate the snappy response. Muddy water is very frustrating.

I'm sure I'm not the only newly serious BR shooter who wants to relax and just work on their technique in confidence, knowing, they are comfortably within the rules.

Later,
Dwight

For new or experienced benchrest shooters, my suggestion is to get your answers here.

Just to go a bit further into this, I may be wrong but do believe that there is something in the rules to the affect of there not being any side supports extending upwards from the wood blocks for the rear bag/doughnuts to slide into and be supported by. In other words, if you decide to use wood under the read bag it had to be in the form of either flat boards (which could be attached to each other) or a basic block of wood. As I said, I could be wrong (but if I am the first thing tomorrow I'm going to build me a fully supported wooden rear riser box.

Dave Shattuck

Sure now I find out?

After using wooden riser blocks forever. Thought I was doing something wrong! Ordered a couple of gator spacers for the Nationals! Since everyone had them on back order. Went to Edgewood direct. Will most likely keep using my home made riser blocks!

Paul

risers can be made of any material then?

At the last 2 World Championships and the last World Cup i have seen them used many times in wood, leather,rubber etc with no issue or protest, there is nothing in the rules old or new that says that it is illegal, some put them under the rear bag some under the bench more so to reach the lower end of the target if their setup is too high. The restrictions on material and hardenss etc pertain the actual bag rests.

Should the Bag Rules be updated??

Lets face it no two ranges are the same, For that matter some ranges one end of the firing line you might not need a spacer to shoot the entire card. Rotate benches for the next card and you might need 3 spacers. Do we need to address the Steel/rubber disc that we all use under the feet of the front rest on smooth concrete benches? Example from IR 50/50 rules.(Blue text)
Paul

SAND BAGS
Front rest must be topped with some form of sand bag. Rear rest must be a sand bag with no adjustable or mechanical means. Sand bags must be made of leather and/or cloth. The front and rear rests will not be connected to each other, the bench or the gun. Only sand bag can touch sides and bottom of stock. When rifle is raised straight up, the front and/or rear rest must not rise up with rifle. If the front and/or rear rest rise up with rifle, the front and/or rear rest must be weighed with rifle to determine eligibility. Front and/or rear rifle rest can not restrain the recoil of rifle. Front and rear rifle rest must be placed directly on top of the bench with the following exceptions. Spacers may be placed under the rear rest to attain elevation. A coin, disk, bearing, or similar device may be placed under the legs of the front rest.
Nothing can be attached to the bench that would impede the movement of the front or rear rifle rests.

Lets face it no two ranges are the same, For that matter some ranges one end of the firing line you might not need a spacer to shoot the entire card. Rotate benches for the next card and you might need 3 spacers. Do we need to address the Steel/rubber disc that we all use under the feet of the front rest on smooth concrete benches? Example from IR 50/50 rules.(Blue text)
Paul

Is there not a rule somewhere that states the bottom of the target should be level with the top of the bench? (I haven’t got time to look at the moment).

That’s the generally accepted principal in all the matches I’ve been to, I’ve never had the need to use a raiser block.

Brian

Not always possible especially in some ISSF Ranges thus the need for risers for some setups, the WRABF has decided to publish heights if this is going to cause an issue well in advance of a Championship so everyone is aware well before. Sometimes this will also cause an issue with the flag height rule again early advise and common sense will prevail.

Please don't take too far beyond where it now stands with restricting bag heights. I am 6'5" tall and have had several Arthritis throughout my body for decades, including my neck, shoulders, hands, back and so on. And that's not getting any better the older I get. Because of this I have been using 3 doughnuts under my high rear bag combined with front legs that can raise the height of the front rest as much as 6 inches off the bench if necessary, although I generally never go much above 4 inches with it. If this were eliminated so I had to lower everthing back down, I doubt very much that I could continue competing as the last time I tried "sharing" someone else's equipment at the lower height I had an awful time with my fingers and hands buzzing and falling asleep, not to mention it made it all the more difficult just to stand up from the bench after finishing due to having to have my stool low enough to accommodate the lower height of the rifle/scope.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Dave Shattuck

Flag height

Hi Dave,

I think Bill meant the height of the targets will be published to assist in flag layout. To the best of my knowledge there is no restriction on the height the rear bag can be off the bench.

But at 6’5” the Portishead club in Bristol could probably use your services for target retrieval ;)

img_3_zpsf3a3de53.jpg

Those targets are level with the bench, the ground falls away badly from the firing line.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Back